Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I finally have a newp...a medal I'd been watching on eBay for AGES. The seller had it on consignment (at least that's what he told me when I made an offer...it was 'strong' in terms of what I thought it was worth, but only 1/3 of his 'discount price'). I guess the owner said blow it out and it went up as a real auction. So I bid...and got it for less than my very old previous offer.

It's stuck in an NGC tomb that calls it a restrike, though I've never seen another one, restrike or otherwise. The slab is scuffy and my slab cracker (aka husband with a table saw) refuses to crack it. The nerve.

Anyway, it's a theme piece for me...Important Navy Dude (Austrian, and he's the guy who brought back Maximillian's body from Mexico after he was executed apparently), and one of my favorites--a horse based mythological creature. Appropriately, the hippocamp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_von_Tegetthoff

combo.jpg

A good way to break a dry spell! Work, more work, an unexpected new car buy, etc. conspired against my numismatic pursuits lately, so this was a welcome addition.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Check out this guy's Exo collection. He even has the name plate from Wayte Raymond's store.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A long carried well loved pocket piece, A moose lodger 75th anniversary

6. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Just bought this medal..... has a PCGS pop of 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Nothing fancy but look at the element.... thumbnail_1215182335a_2.jpg thumbnail_1215182328_2.jpg

Attached Files:

longnine009 and dwhiz like this.
  8. Circus

Not to bad of condition for a token that can collect Social Security! This one is also my highest redeemable value token @ $25.00
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

20181218_140910_resized.jpg 20181218_140923_resized.jpg
    A little Something different....in hand the colors pop!

10. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Traverse City Mich, parking token from store

11. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canadian Bi-metal

12. Circus

13. Circus

Another Mich city token
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stork, longnine009 and dwhiz like this.
  14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

15. Circus

Another version of this bus fare token Other than the common one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Circus

17. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Almost forgot I was posting these.
    IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

19. Circus

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Heres one from the coin star reject tray. IMG_0001.JPG star reject tray.

longnine009, Nathan401 and Circus like this.
  21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

@Jwt708 Got a Vietnam Era U.S Air Force token in the mail yesterday yeah!

Takhli Air Force base Thailand operated jointly by US and Thailand Air Forces.
    Cunningham TI160b 10c C/A, 18mm 3.4grms, plated brass. Takhli was home to the F-100 Super Sabre, used for photo reconnaissance as well as bombing missions and the F105 Thunderchief which replaced the bombing role of the F-100. The Thunderchief was nick named the "Thud" and not for good reasons.

Also operating out of Takhli were B-66 Destroyers that were modified; some for photo Recon, some for
    Electronic warfare and some for signal Intel later called Elint (electronic intelligence) The B-66 was the same aircraft that Douglas was selling to the Navy as the A-3 "whales forever" Skywarrior. Eventually F-105 Wild Weasels we're operating out Takhli. They were modifie to have two seats. So now the pilot could just fly the aircraft and an electronic warfare officer in the back did everything else. Supposedly they were very successful which is in sharp contrast to their role as a fighter-bomber.

Like the FB-111's they were asking too much of the Thunderchiefs. It was designed to fly very fast, low to the ground and in a straight line and then go vertical over the target and drop a tactical nuke from a parachute. No matter what they called it the F-105 was a short-range penetration bomber. It was not designed to do crazy maneuvers to evade missiles.

I watched a Discovery Channel video about the F-105 on YouTube yesterday. It's a good video in the sense that they had some very candid comments from F-105 pilots who flew over there. But it is not a happy video. One hundred and twenty F-105 pilots were killed and many were captured. At one point there were over 200 F-105 pilots in the Hanoi Hilton.

IMG_20181225_060923.jpg IMG_20181225_060956.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Jwt708, Circus and Pickin and Grinin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted