Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

Thx for that perspective - I had not thought of that angle. I'll keep an open mind on it and see if I can turn up any other possibilities.

BRandM likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Here's one example of a tradesman's stamp using only a surname, Jeff. This style isn't unusual. BTW, I never found out who Summers was.

Bruce
    Summers 1.JPG

4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Here an interesting one from the latest bulk buy
    [​IMG]
    blank reverse, Used for the fur trade between 1919 to 1941 this one signifies it is worth 20 made beaver pelts in trade, it and and another appear to have been thru a fire

5. Circus

Here is the other fire damaged one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grand Army of the Republic delegate token 1894

6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Gunslinger from Provident's Prospectors series. One oz. .999 silver, 39mm, C/A, Highland mint.

IMG_20181211_140058.jpg IMG_20181211_140653.jpg

dwhiz, Pickin and Grinin and Circus like this.
  7. BRandM

Here's two ugly coins with ugly counterstamps on them. These two are from a group of nearly 200 pieces I've picked up over the past few years from a man in Belfast, Northern Ireland. His parents operated bars in Belfast for over thirty years, and they routinely saved coins with political messages during the Troubles period. Most of them have sat in bank bags and trunks for 30 or 40 years, some longer.

The toning and environmental damage ranges from nasty, like these two, to beautifully gold-toned near new coins, but all the messages are ugly. The "Brit Out" is on a 1979 English 50p and the "IRA" stamp defaces the Queen's portrait on a 1979 50p. "IRA" is the Irish Republican Army paramilitary, a group responsible for hundreds of deaths during the Troubles. "Brit Out" (British Out) is a call for Britain to withdraw from Northern Ireland and reunite it with the Republic of Ireland, something the north vehemently opposes.

All these coins are original, authentic reminders of the brutal times suffered by the Irish people during the last three decades of the 20th century. Not pretty, but important to preserve so as not to forget.

Bruce
    BRIT OUT 1.JPG
    IRA 19.JPG

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Interesting pieces BRandM what do the other sides look like?
    Both carry different messages during the same time period. Talk to me if you want to get rid of them. They would go well with the piece my son dug up about a year ago. His first found in the streets of down town Denver. IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

Circus, dwhiz, BRandM and 1 other person like this.
  9. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

10. Pickin and Grinin

The Maxwell so far is my favorite. IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

Circus, dwhiz and longnine009 like this.
  11. BRandM

Thanks for the offer, Pickin and Grinin, but they're part of a large collection of these political pieces I have. Here's the other sides though.

Bruce
    BRIT OUT 2.JPG IRA 20.JPG

Pickin and Grinin, Circus and dwhiz like this.
  12. Circus

Times have changed here is an item that was given to mothers of soldiers that served in the great war in 1919 they were given in cities and towns across the US. The bar with the star would indicate how many sons they had in the war, some have a gols star applied over the star on the bar. Indicating the son died in service. and on the reverse it listed the town. Also a registration number
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. BRandM

Can you show us a picture of both sides, Jurnee? Thanks for posting.

Bruce

14. Circus

Here is a two fer interesting one, first is the shape and secondly it is a good luck piece from a company that I haven't seen before pre WWII
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Cryptocurrency fantasy issues:
    MEDAL - Fantasy Ripple.jpg MEDAL - Fantasy One Litecoin.jpg MEDAL - Fantasy Etherium.jpg MEDAL - Fantasy Bitcoin 2018.jpg MEDAL - Fantasy Bitcoin 2013.jpg

16. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  17. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Parents moved there in the early 70's

18. Pickin and Grinin

19. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Czechoslovakia - transit token

Hungary 20 Haleru transit obv.jpg
    Hungary 20 Haleru transit rev.jpg

longnine009, Circus and dwhiz like this.
  20. Circus

Here was some one pocket lucky piece from the wear.
    [​IMG]
    Haunted trails, blank reverse

21. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I can’t ever pass up unusual items. I guess this first one qualifies as exonumia now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

longnine009 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted