Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I bought a full set of the collectors car series 2. done by the franklin Mint.
    Gonna post one a day till their done. These are brass and all toned nicely. IMO
    IMG_0001_2.JPG IMG_0002_2.JPG

4. Circus

[​IMG]
    same both sides

5. Pickin and Grinin

6. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

My wife is Druish!

7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Hi, all on the exonumia thread, first time I am posting here. :shame:

Don't know much about exonumia, just happen to have this bronze commemorative medal on the occasion of the 85th birthday of the first Czech President Tomas Masaryk, who was an eager advocate of Czechoslovak independence during the First World War. He became the founder and first President of Czechoslovakia. He originally wished to reform the Austro-Hungarian monarchy into a democratic federal state, but during the First World War, he began to favor the abolition of the monarchy and, with the help of the Allied Powers, eventually succeeded.
    50 mm, 46 g, 3mm thickness
    Obverse: TOMÁŠ G. MASARYK profile to right; O.Spaniel (Engraver Ottokar Spaniel) below shoulder
    Reverse: 18 - 7 III - 50 (March 7, 1850) NA PAMĚT 85. NAROZENIN PRVNÍHO PRESIDENTA REPUBLIKY ČESKOSLOVENSKÉ
    19 - 7 III - 35 (March 7, 1935)

Since I did not know what this was - I knew it is not a coin - I had it stored somehow carelessly (don't ask ...) It has some green deposits, don't know if I should clean it and how? If it would be a coin, I wouldn't clean it, but being a medal maybe I can? Pls, any opinions?

upload_2018-12-6_16-15-24.png

upload_2018-12-6_16-15-43.png

dwhiz likes this.
  8. Circus

9. Pickin and Grinin

10. Circus

Your series was a original gas station give away for Sunoco and DX gas stations the giveaways were aluminum in an small envelope. You had to fill up a sheet with slots and then turn it in to get the complete set of "bronze" coins I was lucky in 1968 to work at a station and won both series 1 and series 2. I will have to either find the photo's of the envelopes they came in. the Franklin mint was known for not letting the dies gather dust!
    Did you get the cardboard mount too?

longnine009 likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

I got the whole sha bang. The frame, cardboard display, and the instructions, even the plastic gloves and tube. Couldn't pass it up for 15$

Circus likes this.
  12. Circus

13. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you would consider a transit token exonumia (new to all that) but here you go regardless... Baltimore Mass Transit token. fullsizeoutput_e0c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_e0d.jpeg

Pickin and Grinin and Circus like this.
  14. Circus

short answer yes!

15. Pickin and Grinin

16. Circus

17. Pickin and Grinin

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG
    I just noticed the man in the moon on the C.

longnine009, Nathan401 and Circus like this.
  18. Circus

Two interesting pick ups @ LCS yesterday from Tombstone Arizona
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1 ounce bar ingot

19. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

Here is my latest 1797 penny. It is counterstamped PIOUS, which I assume is a religious statement.

Attached Files:

BRandM likes this.
  20. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You know, Jeff, from the look of the stamp, I think you may have a merchant token rather than a religious piece. I've seen so many of these old coppers with tradesman's name stamped on them. This one resembles many that I've come across.

Pious could be a surname and the maker's mark applied to his products. Just using the surname wouldn't be unusual. Sometimes they had several individual stamps with other information on them...trade, city, etc. Possibly a cutler or tool maker. You might want to give it a try on Google and see if anything comes up. Thanks for posting it,

Bruce

JBK likes this.
  21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Commemorative round of Dogecoin. MUCH WOW! From somewhere in China, 39mm, 30.1grams, M/A, silver plated steel,(I guess)--it sticks to a magnet like stink on a wino. But that's how it should be. Cryptos, IMO, are just modern-day versions of broken banknotes waiting to happen. It's all too fitting that rounds commemorating them be base metal. Dogecoin I particularly like. They are at least candid about their future-- "To the moon" LOL.

IMG_20181209_152859.jpg
    IMG_20181209_150529.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos. I have a new phone and I'm still trying to figure out how to crop pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted