Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Saint Rumbold.. Sanctus Rumoldus, circa 7th century. St. Rumoldus.jpg St. Rumbold.jpg

dwhiz, Jwt708, longnine009 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

To my knowledge two stamps on one coin is relatively scarce. One stamp over another this is the first I've seen. Great pick up.

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

1982 Harwood silver oz Minted by the infamous Conrad Braun FB197198-4269-4EC8-B631-969FE5446196.jpeg 2EB646E2-A4BC-4179-B7E6-11B5E505A6DE.jpeg

5. Heavymetal

6C8467D1-31B1-4E05-A5CD-A7FEC784C1B0.jpeg C21050EF-40CE-4CA5-94AD-8A79D5029819.jpeg 08CC9A21-85BC-49D0-9816-3BE2D7BBE0BD.jpeg 6C8467D1-31B1-4E05-A5CD-A7FEC784C1B0.jpeg JFK inauguration medal. High relief token

dwhiz, Jwt708, longnine009 and 4 others like this.
  6. harley bissell

If it were mine I would research as follows .....

Post on message boards as components. You do not want others to know the message before you do if it is a treasure map. .
    Do a google image search for the entire mark.
    Do a google image search for each individual character.
    It's possible you will come up with something like ABC XXXX GHI XXXX LMN XXXX
    and you will have to make sense of it.
    Search into the history of military codes and ciphers
    of European nations during the Napoleonic period.
    Read up on codes used by the Knights Templar.
    good luck

BRandM and 7Calbrey like this.
  7. harley bissell

I've heard it said and I tend to agree that when a mark is not a silver smith or jeweler it is frequently a gun smith. If it is neither then it may be a merchant.

8. harley bissell

As the chain got larger was it divided into divisions or territories each under one of the family members? If so, that could explain the letter choices.

9. harley bissell

I've seen similar designs on notgeld pieces. I believe the general statement was a protest against reparations with the gist being "You've taken everything we have Would you like some excrement now?" A translation of the piece may help too.

10. Heavymetal

4C1F05DE-F748-4CE9-8072-B750F098D249.jpeg 6551DDD9-AA70-4D28-A29C-4AEF527018BF.jpeg Apollo 11 Doubloon Aluminum 4.6g

dwhiz, 7Calbrey, longnine009 and 3 others like this.
  11. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Joseph and Jacob Stiner became bitter enemies, and at some point...mid 1860s I believe...they dissolved their business relationship, splitting the outlets between them.

They didn't set up territories or divisions. As a matter of fact, "bitter enemies" is putting it mildly. There's a recorded instance of one brother's attempt at stealing a lease opportunity from the other. That wound up in court and became a very messy affair. At other times, they would open rival stores next to or close to each other in direct competition.

Later, several family members also became retail tea merchants. Philip, who was Jacob's son, acquired a few stores from Joseph, believe it or not, and a son-in law who had married Joseph's daughter, Esther, also went into the tea business. His name was Moses H. Moses, and would trade under both the M.H.Moses & Co. and the New York & China Tea Co. names. I'm working from memory here as I don't have my notes handy, so I may have the relationship thing a little wrong. The fact of the matter is though, the various Stiner and Moses businesses and relationships were very difficult to track.

The letters probably didn't identify individual stores, but who knows for sure, Harley. I never got a sense of that being the case during my research.

Bruce

Jwt708 and harley bissell like this.
  12. harley bissell

Winging it on that one but you seem to have already covered it. Too bad. Would have solved the puzzle nicely.

BRandM likes this.
  13. Heavymetal

14. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

It would have, Harley. It seems that there must be a definitive answer out there somewhere. I've just never come across it.

It's always amazed me how relatively small a footprint the actors and their companies made on history. I spent hundreds of hours and many years researching them, and don't have nearly as much information as I would have suspected. A prominent family with huge business interests but little seems to have been documented. While other times you do an internet search and your subject's whole life in uncovered with little effort. Go figure!!

Bruce

harley bissell likes this.
  15. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Brighton Grammar School award medal. Silver gilt, 51mm.

P1010047 (2)c-horzc.jpg

dwhiz, Nathan401, 7Calbrey and 3 others like this.
  16. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Do these count as exonumia? Thai Buddhist amulets, appear to be cast of copper. All used, bought cheaply at a local market recently. The guy in the middle was a famous and high horsepower monk at Wat Ban Rai near Dan Khun Thot. I met him once a few years ago, before he died. He liked to smoke cigars. Might be the same guy pictured on the left. The one on the right, reverse side, shows a "Ru See", or shaman/forest monk. They usually wear clothing and accouterments which look like tiger skin. 3 Amulets obv.JPG 3 Amulets rev.JPG

dwhiz, Nathan401, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  17. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

18. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Here's a cool thing IMG_1341.JPG Many will recognize this image of Roger Williams meeting the Narragansett tribe, as it appears on many coins, tokens, and medals.

19. Heavymetal

520F817D-4221-4BD4-B1EA-B1B70583C22C.jpeg 271070F1-1773-4152-B114-86C23FF20412.jpeg CDBED3FD-4D71-4400-8AAA-7CD0D5488B2C.jpeg Masonic Penny token Darius Chapter Camden NY

20. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

21. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Its a good looking token and I would not give them a nickel.

Draft saved Draft deleted