Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That's a cool looking token,Muzyck. Do you know it's purpose or the meaning of the wording? Is the reverse blank? Thanks

Bruce

4. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Unawarded prize medal for the Calcutta International Exhibition of 1883/4, 51mm. Toned obverse and brilliant reverse presumably from resting in its case for many years. PCGS SP65.

Calcutta Int. Exhibition.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Jwt708, H8_modern, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Awesome medal as usual Yarm.

longnine009 likes this.
  6. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. BRandM

8. BRandM

I wanted to correct an error in my initial post. The fractions refer to units of tea not coffee. Generally, tea was packaged in foil-wrapped blocks of these specified weights. Also the price of tea was about a dollar a pound at the time. In those days, tea was more commonly drunk than coffee. Over the years, tastes changed. Sorry for the error.

Bruce

9. BRandM

I posted a picture of this enigmatic counterstamped English Penny a week or two ago, seeking member's help in identifying it. I also asked some of my contacts in the exonumia world, especially in the UK and Ireland.

A couple of days ago I heard from a man in Manchester, UK who I buy coins from on occasion. He's a retired Pastor from a church in nearby Lockport. He recognized the symbols immediately as a depiction of the Resurrection of Christ.

The center line allows for a mirror image of the stamp so that it can be read no matter which way the coin is viewed. The two crosses flank either side of the figure of Christ with arms outstretched. The "V" shape above his head depicts the tomb from which he arose, and the upward arrows his rising. Apparently, the reverse symbolizes the date of his crucifixion and resurrection, but his explanation was unclear to me. Since the exact day...although it was in April...and year...either 30 or 33 AD...is not known, I can't understand the meaning of the pattern of dots. He calls it the "Four Fours." I asked him if he could clarify it for me.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know what I learned. I also wanted to thank ExoMan and JBK for their assistance. Thanks guys!

Bruce Unknown Symbol (Defaced) 2.JPG Unknown Symbol (Defaced) 4.JPG

dwhiz, fretboard, ExoMan and 6 others like this.
  10. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

A recent eBay pick up. Bought it for the hippocamp--not sure if it's being attacked, defended, or both...but now I have yet another historical event to read up on.

combo black.jpg

AE
    Diameter 41 mm
    Weight 24.6 grams

Durand Editeur/Caque.F.

The French invasion of Algiers began on 5 July 1830. The Naval fleet under Admiral Duperre provided bombardment, and the invading ground troops were under Louis Auguste Victor de Ghaisne, Comte de Bourmont. Marked the end of several centuries of Ottoman control.

Jwt708, dwhiz, fretboard and 5 others like this.
  11. Circus

12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

45261A51-1515-4C55-B7D6-0FA2AB4A58FB.jpeg E07821A3-D3FE-4E2E-8FB5-E0F49125B029.jpeg 1969 Klondike Days Edmonton Canada

13. Heavymetal

Chester A. Arthur Token 4313CD22-24EE-4D44-89AC-6786C893D7DF.jpeg 307D4423-6664-4519-9FF4-4D8A03534A4C.jpeg

Wehwalt, dwhiz, longnine009 and 2 others like this.
  14. Heavymetal

1B8914C5-6DF1-4F09-9BBF-A4927839DF86.jpeg 87AAC9F8-6306-42F7-A3CB-B4E6303D2A9E.jpeg The History Channel Club token

15. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Hey Bruce .... I found this mention of "fours" having to do with the Roman soldiers and the Lord's clothes ....

https://books.google.com/books?id=J...v=onepage&q=crucifixion, "four fours"&f=false

BRandM likes this.
  16. BRandM

Thanks, Bill. I'll have to look further into that aspect of it. In the meantime I'm waiting to hear back from the man in Manchester to see what he has to say.

Bruce

17. Heavymetal

31F67386-170E-4B3E-AED2-DDEECDC1B7B3.jpeg DE37BD10-0F84-40C4-91F4-D694A8325B59.jpeg Werth-Marke 10 token

Jwt708, longnine009 and dwhiz like this.
  18. Heavymetal

46F27742-75A7-4A73-9A6E-733DCE9ADE97.jpeg E3006224-505F-46E1-AEBA-0547CBBD544B.jpeg 728FD2B9-7CA8-4FC5-9C45-15BD202E8002.jpeg Love token on old dime “Joe”

Jwt708, longnine009 and dwhiz like this.
  19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow! That's some find! You better watch it Bruce, you may get rich off that one. thumbsup.gif Any idea how many exist? I'm sure it's probably a very collectible Penny. ;)

I had to come on here b/c I bought a really sick one yesterday, still waiting for delivery but I just had to share today before I forget. ;) I have another German New Years token but not anything even close to this one. Sick, but not terribly so, any German collectors on here?. :D thumbsup.gif Anyone? s-@8.95a.jpg s-@8.95b.jpg s-@8.95c.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Ge...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20. BRandM

I wouldn't mind getting rich off it, but if I hold my breath waiting I'm not going to be around here very long. One can only dream though, fretboard.

I would doubt there's any more of these around. These counterstamps are really old, and if any others were struck... a possibility...they're probably long gone by now. It is a significant piece, I think, just not that valuable.

Bruce

21. Circus

Draft saved Draft deleted