Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. yarm

yarm Junior Member

BHM 1117, George IV's visit to Ireland, 1821

George IV visits Ireland b-horz script.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Long Island Coin Club 20th Anniversary, antiqued bronze, M/A, 13.2 grams, 32mm.

Notice the hairlines on the reverse? The lines don't go over the tops of the letters or digits and they go right to the edges of the letters and digits. And the blackening has not been disturbed. These things are not possible had someone scrubbed the reverse of this medal. And why would they scrub the reverse and not the obverse?

I believe they polished the planchets. And the reverse did not have enough design to pull the hairlines out.

The hairlines are hideous looking. But I bet there is funny story here somewhere of someone or someones palming their foreheads when they realized polishing the planchets was probably a bad idea. :p

Does anyone else have this medal and is the reverse hairlined?
    20180616_054024_HDR-1.jpg 20180617_123943_HDR-1.jpg

Jwt708, Michael K, Stork and 4 others like this.
  5. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

6. Circus

[​IMG]
    Copper plating removed for a zincer

Jwt708, dwhiz, gronnh20 and 2 others like this.
  7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

8. BRandM

I have an example of your medal in my collection, longnine. The reverse has the same hairlines as yours, so the die was probably badly polished. Then again, it could have been left that way to add some "design element" to the reverse since it was so plain. If you could post a clearer picture, I could compare mine with the pattern of the hairlines on yours to see if they match.

Bruce

longnine009 likes this.
  9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Thankyou for the offer Bruce. Unfortunately that's the best image my phone is capable of.

I don't think that it is die polish. At least not on mine. The lines do not appear raised. I believe that they polished the planchets. But I don't know why anyone would do that if the intention was to antique the medals? I swear there is a funny FUBAR story here somewhere with this medal.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    BRandM likes this.
  10. BRandM

Yeah, you're right, longnine. I meant to say the planchets were polished, not the die. My piece shows just scratching too. Actually, the lines don't really bother me...never even noticed then until your post.

Bruce

longnine009 likes this.
  11. Circus

12. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Paris Expo- 1951. Stand of coins. Paris M O 001.jpg Paris M R 001.jpg

13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This is a lovely medal with a famous family member. Roger Williams was the founder of this great State of Rhode Island. The AWESOME quote on the reverse was a ridiculously radical idea at the time, and was ridiculed immensely. The Massachusetts colony banished Williams for his views on religious freedom, and he is often credited among the very first abolitionists, as the idea and practice of slavery was as abhorrent to him then as it is now. These ideals that he spoke of would catch on, and help give birth to a Nation of freedom seekers. Roger Williams was a true pioneer of the spirit and a humanitarian that would go on to open the eyes of an entire population. IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1182.JPG This medal is Bronze, from the Medallic Art Company, and weighs in at 50 grams.

14. Circus

15. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Got this bread token yesterday as a gift. I don't know anything about it yet, appears to come from Northhampton or Leeds? ND Bread Token obv.JPG ND Bread Token rev.JPG

16. Circus

17. 7Calbrey

Pellenberg - Belgium 1899. Medal 1899    Belgium.jpg MedalB R        Pellenberg.jpg

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

19. Circus

20. 7Calbrey

This big medal has 11 cm of diameter. Weight seems over half a kilogram. My neighbor says it's Greek and was offered to him. I don't think it's ancient. GmeBriet 001.jpg I just managed to scan it.

21. Circus

Draft saved Draft deleted