Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I dug this up today. It's about Ike dollar size. Laid it on top of an Ike, it's slightly larger by a fraction of a millimeter. It's slightly thicker. 40th Anniversary 1929-1969 Commerical Aviation in Albuquerque.
    Med7.png

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. Michael K

This is 1.28 troy ounce sterling silver. 45 mm.Given to all the passengers (this one is hand written #43 big deal). On the maiden world cruise on the QE2. On the obverse is the ship/ a sort of globe map and the year 1975. On the reverse a flat map of the earth, and all the ports they went to. (It was my dads.)
    QE24.png

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    gronnh20, PlanoSteve, dwhiz and 6 others like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Not very often I've seen elongated nickels. Neat!

PlanoSteve and dwhiz like this.
  6. Circus

7. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

If Knightly is looking to get back into the search for the POGS, let me know. Tracy

8. Circus

9. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Picked up a few bits down the Paranumismatica line in the last week:
    Calendar 1902 1.JPG Calendar 1902 2.JPG Counterstamped 2D 2.JPG Counterstamped 2D 1.JPG Lloyds token 3.JPG Lloyds token 4.JPG

gronnh20, Stork, PlanoSteve and 9 others like this.
  10. Circus

As they use to say on the Flying Circus, Now fort something completely different!
    [​IMG]
    Just a design for some type of jewelry

Stork, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 1 other person like this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I'm real happy with this one; it's my first coin club medal from South Carolina.

Greer Coin Club, antiqued bronze, M/A, 26.2 grams, 39mm

I have no idea what those objects are on the 2nd image; presumably something to do with textiles as it reads:
    Greer, S.C. Salutes The Textile Industry//
    J.P Stevens & Co. Inc.//
    1966 Since 1813 D.W.T.

20180604_053922_HDR-1.jpg 20180606_053305_HDR-1.jpg

gronnh20, Stork, Jwt708 and 3 others like this.
  12. Circus

[​IMG]
    Masonic elongated penny

Stork, Jwt708, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  13. Circus

14. Circus

[​IMG]
    another masonic penny
    The meetings of members of the Thirty-second Degree, or Sublime Princes of the Royal Secret in the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, are called Consistories.
    Source MasonicDictionary.com

Stork, PlanoSteve, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I bought a second gen. Camaro to build with my son. This was under the drivers seat. IMG_0001.JPG

gronnh20, Stork, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  16. Michael K

Here are some medallions I dug up. The black bear hunter medal I gave away. The Chicago Aquarium tokens are not medallions.
    MedO.png MedR.png black bear.png

gronnh20, Stork, longnine009 and 5 others like this.
  17. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Great pieces, Paddy. Although my counterstamp collection is mostly U.S., I do have a nice variety of stamps on English Pennies. The Lloyds issues are interesting and there are a small number of varieties. Most were struck on the old George lll coins, but you see one here and there on an old Hibernia issue or odd denomination. I have one example and thought about going for a collection of varieties, but never pursued it.

The initials-only coin is also interesting, but probably impossible to assign to a maker. What I like about these stamps on the old cartwheels is how strongly they strike-up. Their impressive size and thickness make for an ideal substrate.

Many of the stamps appear on 1797 dated coins. I was always curious about that so did a bit of research on them. My understanding , possibly incorrect, was that 1797 was struck on all coins minted for several years after that. I'm not sure why, or even if that were the case. Do you know if that's true, Paddy? I know you see many, many of the 1797 dated coins.

Bruce
    Lloyds Weekly 1.JPG Lloyds Weekly 2.JPG RC Manchester 1.JPG RC Manchester 2.JPG

gronnh20, Stork, longnine009 and 6 others like this.
  18. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I have seen a few of the Lloyds counter-stamped coins, but they are outside my collecting area so I have generally moved them on fairly quickly. As you say, the other counter-stamp is probably untraceable.
    Not sure about coins continuing to be struck with 1797 for years afterwards - I haven't found any authoritative reference stating this, although it would not be unusual. Both the 1804 Bank of England dollar and the 1758 shilling certainly were. They could not have gone on for too long as the new designs were out in 1806. They did strike 1798 Isle of Man pennies as well, so it would seem that if they wanted to they could easily have shifted dates.
    I see many more decent 1797 Twopences than Pennies at the moment. Partly this is because the twopence was unpopular and struck only in this year - I think people put a lot away as souvenirs. Partly I fear it is also because our friends in the East are making copies!

The calendar token is interesting because it is part of a long tradition of this sort of thing - I have had examples in brass back to the 1780s, though in those cases they have recorded Religious festivals rather than lighting up times.

BRandM, PlanoSteve and Jwt708 like this.
  19. Circus

20. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well, I guess this is one way to make sure you've always got a buck! IMG_1111.JPG Seriously though, I'm just walking through my kitchen and saw this in the counter. It's cool having a Wife and kids that are into this sort of thing. It's everywhere in the house!

21. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I forgot to mention the calendar token, Paddy. I've seen various issues over the years, and always thought they were interesting. As you say, some are for religious observances, and not actual calendars. It's another type of token that I don't have an example of.

Just hefting one of those 2p coins is enough to make you realize why they were so unpopular. HEAVY!! I have one or two with cutler stamps on them. A very impressive coin, but not practical for everyday use.

I'm attaching an image of another cutler stamp on a copper penny. I believe Butcher was out of Sheffield, but I don't have my notes handy to check on it. The "German Steel" mark was used to indicate quality. I don't recall ever seeing an American maker use that phrase, but did "guarantee" their product with "warranted", "cast steel", or something similar.

Bruce W Butcher 1.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted