Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Well, it is purported to be a 100 Yuan North Manchukuo Railway Construction Fund token. I haven't been able to locate any info about it other than from one seller located in China. I purchased this from a seller based in the U.S. I am not sure if these were really in use and if they were that this is real. I bought it because it looked cool. :angelic:

longnine009 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

6. Circus

7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I bought this 1966 Irish Florin with the counterstamp "Ban Eire Goods" a week or so ago from a man in Armagh, Northern Ireland.The slogan is a reference to efforts in the late 1960s and early 1970s to discourage products from the Irish Republic from entering Northern Ireland. The age-old animosity concerning religion and loyalty had, by this time, taken to the streets. The next 30 years of bloodshed and destruction are known as "The Troubles."

There are several other slogans documented that reference this movement, including "Ban Eire Butter", "Boycott Eire", "Foreign Coin", etc. Although Greg Brunk reported an example of "Ban Eire Goods" to me a number of years ago, this is the first I've actually seen.

In addition to a boycott on Irish products, an attempt was made to deny the circulation of their currency. Although Irish (Eire) money was acceptable in Northern Ireland, many Loyalists wouldn't accept it for monetary transactions. Going a step further, large numbers of coins were defaced or purposely damaged in a further attempt at keeping them from circulating.

The second coin I've posted is an example of a damaged 1933 Irish Penny. This coin and several others in my collection were given to me 5 or 6 years ago by a man in the UK. His grandfather, who he'd gotten the coins from, told him that thousands of coins were drilled or filed by apprentices at the Belfast shipyards. The workforce was heavily Protestant at the time. Apparently, many of the "UVF" stamped coins we see today were also made there.

The Irish Florin was acquired by the seller at an auction on the Isle of Man.

Bruce Ban Eire Goods 1.JPG Protest Coin 1.JPG

Jwt708, longnine009, Stork and 5 others like this.
  8. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Hadn't added anything to my medals/exonumia collection in awhile. But, when I cracked, well...'go big or go home' comes to mind.

I was on a hunt for this medal ever since seeing a photo of it in a book. No idea of rarity, size, etc. But, it's supremely Art Deco, complete with my favorites themes of some version of a horse based mythological beastie and a sighthound.

When I was at NYINC I left my email with a couple dealers, and one of them found this in France. Turns out it's quite hefty-- 5 3/8" across. Had no idea it was so big when I first started looking for it several years ago as it was just a photo in a book without any commentary to speak of.

Sadly, the size precludes me from using my basic coin photo set up, and my aging cell phone camera is not up to the task.

Vernon combo.jpg

and for an idea of the size--here it is next to a US cent:
    Vernon penny.jpg

9. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes the reverses are more interesting then imprint!

10. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Campground shower token

Jwt708, longnine009, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  11. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1 drachm scale weight. His big brother, the 2 drachm from same maker, is on the way soon. I assume the unit "drachm" is equal to the old "dram" weight, as used in shotgun loads. ND H.T.Phila 1 d obv.JPG ND H.T.Phila 1 d rev.JPG

12. Circus

The dram (alternative British spelling drachm; apothecary symbol ʒ or ℨ; abbreviated dr) is a unit of mass in the avoirdupois system, and both a unit of mass and a unit of volume in the apothecaries' system. It was originally both a coin and a weight in ancient Greece.‎

13. Circus

14. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Interesting use of a token elongated as a biz card

15. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Ann Arbor Coin Club antiqued bronze, 15.7 grms 34mm M/A. Sorry about the reverse. Seems my pathetic camera can only take one pic "...and I'm spent." But the text reads:
    To Increase
    Knowledge
    In The Science
    Of
    Numismatics
    20180601_053914_HDR-2.jpg 20180601_054636_HDR-1.jpg

dwhiz, Jwt708, Circus and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

There was a bit of a discuss about these terms earlier un this thread. There is a British paranumismatist that posts frequently and was more inclined to that term versus exonumia. @PaddyB

Super cool! I am a huge Star Trek fan.

That's a stunning medal!

longnine009 and PaddyB like this.
  17. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Yes - still here! I tend to hang on World Coins more often than Exonumia at the moment - I prefer my tokens much older than most of the posts here.

I still think Exonumia/Paranumismatica warrants it's own section rather than being crammed into a single thread. When I have a query about a token it gets lost - either in this thread or amongst all the other topics in Coin Chat.

BRandM and longnine009 like this.
  18. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Yes, I agree with you, Paddy. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen. Please don't abandon this thread though...you have too many interesting things to share with us.

Bruce

PaddyB and Jwt708 like this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ya the one thread is no good. And what Bruce said.

PaddyB likes this.
  20. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I still pop in here occasionally but I get bored with too much modern stuff, in which I have little interest. If I turn up any interesting paranumismatica I always post it here first. If you need me, just tag me - I am on CT every day so it won't take me long to pick it up.

Jwt708 and longnine009 like this.
  21. Circus

Draft saved Draft deleted