Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

These arrived today, and they are about 40 mm. Moose Gooser 1-horz.jpg Moose Gooser 3-horz.jpg Moose Gooser 5-horz.jpg
    ALASKA MEDALS: SET OF THREE.

KIWANIS STEAM RAILROAD, MOOSE GOOSER, 1967, PURHASE CENTENNIAL.

(2) cupro-nickel, 1 brass. The CN medals are numbered, the brass is not. The brass has the train going to the right. The CN medals has one each of the train going right, the other left.

These are BU, just under 40mm in diameter.

This was a tourist railroad built for the Centennial of the Purchase of Alaska in 1967.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

4. Circus

[​IMG]
    reverse of a modified peace/friendship medal on nine of the presidents medals

5. Circus

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Some nice counterstamps, Bill.

It's too bad about the graffiti on the Pike coin, but since there's only a few examples known,it's not a big deal. I like the Gilbert too. Do you have an identification on him? Also, is the mark beneath the stamp another counterstamp or something else?

We've spoken about the English stamp on the Large Cent before. That's nearly unheard of, so adds a lot of interest to the piece. I can only think of one other English counterstamp on an American coin. I can't read the entire caption...only the (Crown), Evans,and what looks like "Old" on the second line. Could you tell me what the rest says?

Great additions to your collection as usual, Bill.

Bruce

7. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Hi, Bruce. While I'd rather have an unscratched piece, of course, I bought the Pike piece for the history. A scratch doesn't negate that. With maybe 10-12 of this c/s known, one has to grab the brass ring when it comes around.

Brunk lists the Evans piece; surprisingly, is his U.S. section. He doesn't offer an attribution in his 2003 edition. The logo stamp reads: (crown) / EVANS / OLD CHANGE / LONDON. "Old Change" was the street or district. As there is other specimen, perhaps the issuer, David Evans of London, England, was contemplating a U.S. division? He was a noted maker of surgical instruments. He and son, John, later called their joint venture, Evans & Co., so I suspect that this c/s is late 1820's or into the 1830's.

What's the other English c/s on an American coin? I have an Irish c/s of sorts on an American coin in my collection, an 1854-O quarter. It reads: USE NELIGAN'S WORM CANDY. Greg listed this one, 2003, as a Canadian issue, but I convinced him it's a U.S. issue. I'm planning to write about that one later this year.

The GILBERT c/s is a discovery piece with some great history that I've as yet to attach. The c/s is the hallmark of Wm. Gilbert of NY City, circa 1782-1799. He was a top shelf silversmith who once crafted a gold box for Geo. Washington. He abandoned his craft to pursue a career in politics; this, just prior to the 19th century.

BRandM likes this.
  8. Circus

[​IMG]

9. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Thanks for the translation on the Evans counterstamp, Bill. The other English stamp on an American coin that I know of is a Charles Congreve (C.Congreve) stamp on an UKN Large Cent. Congreve was a Sheffield, England cutlery manufacturer in the 1830s.

The Gilbert issue is especially important because it's such an early mark of an American silversmith. You don't see many going that far back. You'll have to see if you can pick up a spoon to match it.

Bruce

10. dwhiz

11. dwhiz

Also in today's mail. OHNS 2018 Token Silver & Copper 2018 OHNS 1 Sil-horz.jpg 2018 OHNS 1CU-horz.jpg

12. Circus

13. dwhiz

Jwt708, Stork and longnine009 like this.
  14. Circus

[​IMG]

15. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

What?? This thread was on page two--unacceptable!

I do have a new medal, well a re-used obverse of one I have an original of as well.

It's from France, and thus hallmarked on the edge, which is a cornucopia and the metal content. Medals produced in 1996 and on are supposed to have the date next to the cornucopia, so I would say it was produced a bit earlier than that and then engraved.

The super-duper nice part is two fold. The other edge mark (didn't get a picture of it yet) is 1argent. So, yes silver, and the 1 means it should be .925 fineness. And, if the seller's weight is accurate (my coin scale only goes to 100 grams which it exceeds, and the seller listed it at 171 grams), this means I got it for almost 20% BELOW MELT :D. Needless to say, I am pleased.

combo 1920.jpg

My original medal:
    combo1920 e7e7e7.jpg

16. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

17. Circus

18. dwhiz

19. Circus

[​IMG]

longnine009 and Stork like this.
  20. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I like those train tokens. And the similarity to this one.
    exnom (11).JPG exnom (12).JPG
    thanks for posting them.

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I got this metal detecting last month. It's copper about the size of a half dollar. It's the New Earth Calendar. 13 months all with 28 days. (Doesn't work=364 days). The extra month in the middle is LUNA.
    Untitled6.png

Draft saved Draft deleted