Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

The Nov/Dec issue of TAMs has an photo of a three line counter-stamp

W.F. HOLT
    CONCORD
    N.H.
    on a 3c silver coin, with, plenty of room to spare LOL.

One of the theories as to why the advertiser chose a coin so small was because he was a cutler and also a tailor cutter. So maybe he already had a very small punch for marking his cutlery and tailor scissors.

BRandM likes this.
  5. Circus

I picked up a set of the US mints presidents series with out the album.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

This one for any homesick Scotsmen out there - Medallion celebrating 100 years of the Trustees of the Burns Monument in 1981:
    Burns 1.JPG Burns 2.JPG
    Appears to be Silver plate and not the usual bronze tourist piece that is all over Ebay.

8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Well, I'm of Scottish ancestry, but my family has been here in the US for about 150 years.

While I always thought Burns was an interesting historical figure, I honestly don't know a lot about him. I'll have to remedy that. I like the token very much. Thanks for posting it.

Bruce

9. PaddyB

Well Bruce is a good Scottish name - Robert the Bruce and all that. I read excellent historical novels about him when I was young by a chap called Nigel Tranter - very good if you can ever find them.

Burns poetry is difficult to follow written down, but makes much more sense read by someone with a good Scottish accent. My favourite line is describing the wife waiting at home to greet her husband back from the pub "Nursing her wrath to keep it warm". I had a wife like that once!
    This on Burns even includes a picture of the cottage from the same viewpoint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns

Pickin and Grinin and BRandM like this.
  10. Circus

11. Circus

12. BRandM

Thanks for the link, Paddy. The quote from the poem is worth remembering. It could probably apply to most women...they never forget. <LOL>

Bruce

13. Circus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    longnine009, Stork and dwhiz like this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

15. PaddyB

Picked up this today - interesting tale of a dog serving in British forces in the late 19th century. Hand written history came with it.
    Bobbie 1.JPG Bobbie 2.JPG Bobbie Words.jpg

midas1, Garlicus, longnine009 and 7 others like this.
  16. BRandM

What an interesting piece that is, Paddy. That would be a great addition to a collection of military memorabilia.

Bruce

PaddyB likes this.
  17. Circus

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is a coronation medal I picked up. The dealer was insistent that it had been cleaned it shows a lot of polishing lines. Well, anyways it came with a pretty good discount. IMG_0001_1.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  19. Circus

20. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Here are two recently acquired counterstamps. The first one is BOSWORTH, twice stamped on an 1896 eight real piece. Unlisted as yet, it was improperly attributed in two major auctions. I found that the counterstamp matches the hallmark of Samuel Bosworth, a silversmith in Buffalo, NY between 1816-37.

The second piece, an 1839-O dime, bears the mark of Isaac B. Burbbayge. He ran a self-described "intelligence office" in St. Louis between 1839-59. He was an agent who dealt in real estate and slaves, among other things. His principal activity seems to have been assisting pioneers traveling west. He advertised his services as such in eastern newspapers.

Bosworth,  1796 8r  cu3.jpg Bosworth,  1796 8r  ob.jpg Bosworth,  1796 8r  rv.jpg Burbbayge, I.B.  1839-O 10c  ob.jpg Burbbayge, I.B.  1839-O 10c  rv.jpg Burbbayge Ad.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  21. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A lot of these medals have the Indian peace and friendship medal style reverse

Draft saved Draft deleted