Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Like you, Bruce, I've periodically searched, trying different avenues in making attempts to attribute this O & G issue but to no avail. I once pondered that the three stars might represent Tennessee, but the TN State flag, bearing three stars, came along much later. I'm most inclined to suspect that it's an early Philadelphia issuer. Many of the host coins tend to be in high grade, and Philly had ever so many c/s issuers, as you know. Let's keep plugging along on this one, partner!

BRandM likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I never give up on the issues that interest me, Bill. I always classified these research projects as a "10YR" meaning a ten year effort might be required. Unfortunately, this one goes beyond that without resolution. Someday....

Here's a pic of my example. I think I've had it for about 20 years or so.

Bruce O&G.JPG

4. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

That's a sharp specimen, Bruce, despite the incomplete ring. The host coin is above average, too. Just for the heck of it, today, I checked out the "O" listings in the 1835-39 Philly directories. I was unable to spot any business listings for names beginning with O & G. A shot in the dark it was.

BRandM likes this.
  5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

6. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

[​IMG]
    Reverse is the same double eagle as the Franklin above

7. BRandM

I've done the same exact thing, Bill. Some years ago I searched several runs of east coast directories, but had no luck. The only one I found was a billiard table manufacturer, but their logo was completely different.

Bruce

ExoMan likes this.
  8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

He probably had the worse last name pronunciation that a coin dealer could have. But that's what makes it so cool! Plus it's in great condition. :)

BRandM likes this.
  9. BRandM

You're right, longnine, I hadn't thought about that. By being in business as long as he was, he apparently had no problem with it.

Speaking of odd names, years ago there was a bike and ski shop not too far from where I lived named "Failure." The owner was told by his father that he would always be a failure in life, so he opened his store and named it that. Now that's in-your-face! I love it.

Bruce

longnine009 likes this.
  10. Circus

[​IMG]
    Reverse is the same double eagle as the Franklin above

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Lynard Skynyrd was named after the band's high school gym teacher because he hated long hair and rock & roll.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  12. Circus

[​IMG]
    Reverse is the same double eagle as the Franklin above, along with a wording change for the number of year anniversary

Stork, gronnh20, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

This arrive today, wow is it impressive in hand.
    moose hobo 1.JPG
    moose hobo 3-horz.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    yarm, Stork, Paddy54 and 6 others like this.
  14. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Got lucky on eBay last week and snagged this I.B.B. / ST. LOUIS / MO c/s on an 1839-O dime. Isaac B. Burbbayge worked between 1839-59 as an "intelligence officer." He was also a slave dealer, real estate dealer and broker for folks heading west. The latest dated coin with his mark is 1853, and fewer than twenty specimens have been recorded.

Here's the coin, along with one of Isaac's advertisements from a NY newspaper:

Burbbayge, I.B.  1839-O 10c  ob.jpg Burbbayge, I.B.  1839-O 10c  rv.jpg Burbbayge Ad.jpg

Stork, alurid, gronnh20 and 5 others like this.
  15. Circus

[​IMG]
    Reverse is the same double eagle as the Franklin above, along with a wording change for the number of year anniversary

longnine009, Stork and gronnh20 like this.
  16. Circus

[​IMG]

longnine009, Stork and dwhiz like this.
  17. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Tercentenary of the Foundation of Birmingham Grammar School, 1852, BHM # 2502, 58mm by P. Hollins, manufactured by Messrs. Allen & Moore. This example in frosted silver was encased and inscribed on the edge -Presented by the Governors to the Revd. E.H. Gifford, M.A., Head Master, April mdccclii.

Dnw 12 10 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    gronnh20, Circus, Stork and 2 others like this.
  18. Circus

19. Circus

20. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there is any medal collecting discussion sites? Historical or artist's medals?

21. Circus

Draft saved Draft deleted