Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I just realized that our tokens are from the same show in 1980, alurid. It looks like the AINA decided to use some leftover club tokens for your example.

Over the years I've come across quite a few coin club issues struck over legal-tender coins, particularly on larger ones like Kennedy Half Dollars. The East Detroit Coin Club issue a number of pieces overstruck on Canadian Half Dollars years ago.

Bruce

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Yes, I caught that too. These may have been made at the show with different die options. And whatever coin was large enough to fit them. Also why I think mine was
    pressed twice.

BRandM likes this.
  4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I guess these medals have been around awhile. It says 2014. I just saw them on the Mint's site.

DSCN0384.JPG DSCN0389.JPG

Jwt708, Stork, longnine009 and 4 others like this.
  5. BRandM

That sounds like a reasonable explanation, alurid.

Here's a couple of other overstrikes I have. Both show good detail of the host coin. The Nicolet Coin Club on the Morgan Dollar is especially interesting.

Bruce RNS 1.JPG RNS 2.JPG Nicolet CC 1.JPG Nicolet CC 2.JPG

gronnh20, Jwt708, Stork and 5 others like this.
  6. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

People do mutilate coins for reasons we will never know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ball bearing in the Indians eye, hole a perfect size for a pressed in fit

7. yarm

yarm Junior Member

L. Gnaedinger token, Breton 574. NGC MS65RB. Gnaedinger 1852 00020 2 cutout (2).jpg Gnaedinger 1852 00057 3 cutout (2).jpg

gronnh20, alurid, Stork and 3 others like this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

My train bar arrived today, here's my image.It came a a plastic bar flip that I believed helped it tone. train bar 3-vert.jpg

gronnh20, Jwt708, Stork and 1 other person like this.
  9. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Little something funky for my Netherlands 2 1/2 collection.

Attached Files:

gronnh20, longnine009 and Stork like this.
  10. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 22K plated version

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I really enjoy this one, even with the die cracks, as it is quite proof-like.
    DSC06186.JPG DSC06184.JPG

12. Circus

Here is another one that falls into the category of what we're they thinking. Although it is a punch out from a Silver Eagle probably from making a spoon ring
    [​IMG]

gronnh20, Jwt708, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

These came today. The first one is from a series of medals honoring the Great Men of France, 40 mm - 37.6 gm. The gold colored one is a pattern for a 25 euro, which I assume was not chosen to be minted as regular coinage. 1819 FR medal obv.JPG 1819 FR medal rev.JPG 1996 GB 25 e pattern obv.JPG 1996 GB 25 e pattern rev.JPG

alurid, gronnh20, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  14. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The final medal of the capital tour

alurid, gronnh20, Jwt708 and 3 others like this.
  15. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I found the photos for this medal in my 'new photos' folder. Have NO IDEA when or why I bought it as I tend to gravitate towards the deco look rather than the nouveau (and Uruguay as a source of medals and coins rather than Argentina). Perhaps it was the war/peace imagery. Too bad eBay only goes back so far...until I find a receipt this one will remain a mystery.

combo.jpg

It was suited for the 'Follow the Theme' thread, but figured I could post it here too. The more I look at it, the more I think I was drawn to the opposing imagery to either side of the female figure. I've bought that look before...

[​IMG]

or even this one (using obverse and reverse to show the difference instead)
    [​IMG]

gronnh20, Jwt708, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  16. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Picked up a few counterstamps at the FUN Show and area shops ...

Wolcott, A.   1847 1c  ob.jpg Wolcott, A.   1847 1c  rv.jpg Wing, G.J.  1886 1c  ob.jpg O & G   1835 hc  ob.jpg O & G   1835 hc  rv.jpg J, H K   1810 hc  ob.jpg J, H K   1810 hc  rv.jpg Keen, W.S.  1854-O  25c  ob.jpg Keen, W.S.  1854-O  25c  rv.jpg

17. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Hey Bruce .... Here's a pic of the J.L. YECKLEY c/s that I told you about ....
    Yeckley, J.L.   1834 50c  ob - Copy.jpg Yeckley, J.L.   1834 50c  rv - Copy.jpg

THE UNUSUAL NAME AND UNCOMMON INITIALS STRONGLY SUGGEST THIS IS THE MARK OF JOSIAH L. YECKLEY, GORHAM, NY. HE WAS A POSTMASTER THERE FOR MANY YEARS, HAVING OWNED A STORE THERE THAT WENT BANKRUPT IN 1842. IT'S NOT LISTED BY BRUNK OR RULAU.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. BRandM

That's got to be the guy who stamped the coin, Bill. Not at all a common name. You gotta love attributing these pieces. Not only a clear strike, but on a decent old Half Dollar.

Bruce

19. Circus

20. BRandM

A nice assortment from FUN, Bill.

I like the O&G especially as you don't see these often with a full strike. I have one that has a weakness at 5 o'clock. A nice coin, but needs to be upgraded at some point.

I've researched O&G on and off for years, but never came across a match, nor has anyone else that I know of. I always thought that the 3 stars were significant, and might lead to an attribution one day.

Bruce

21. BRandM

I just got this coin dealer exonumia in the mail yesterday. It's 40mm so pretty impressive. When Schill moved into offering world coins in the 1950s he did business under the name World Coin Co. I don't believe the company is still in business, but couldn't find much on him.

Bruce Schill 1.JPG Schill 2.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted