Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be rude.

4. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

I found out info on the hotel, just not anything about the spoon's tie into it. The initials are what I'd like to find out more on, I can't think of any relative with those initials. Guess I'll have to hit up Ancestry.com and Wiki.

Thanks

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Oh I misunderstood! :oops: Good luck with the ancestry search! Maybe @lordmarcovan can provide some tips?

6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We have a giant framed lithograph of 'Prayers at Valley Forge' above our fireplace. I love that painting.

dwhiz and Jwt708 like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

Nathan401 likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I have never gotten too deep into genealogy and all that stuff (though I respect the people with that expertise). Really, one shouldn't overestimate my extremely modest research skills. I'm reasonably good at choosing Google search keywords and have been moderately lucky in the past. That's about all there is to it.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

[​IMG]
    Same both sides, a plastic Readers Digest coin before the went to foil imprinted covered cardboard

old49er, longnine009, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  10. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Cool winged wheel transit token from BSZKRT
    (Budapest Székesfővárosi Közlekedési Rt. (English: Budapest Capital Transport Co))

Hungary Transit token 1933 obverse less 10 50pct.jpg
    Hungary Transit token 1933 reverse less 10 50pct.jpg

old49er, Stork, longnine009 and 7 others like this.
  11. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

United States Maritime Commission - Terminal Island token

S20180106_0003.jpg
    S20180106_0004.jpg

old49er, Stork, longnine009 and 4 others like this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Liking those transit tokens @Muzyck !

Muzyck likes this.
  13. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Thanks. Would like to know more about that Terminal Island token if anyone has a clue.

14. Circus

Muzyck likes this.
  15. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Another one in the batch that arrived today. Unfortunately six others (transit tokens from Sweden and France) sent by the same seller a week earlier have apparently been lost in the mail.

Strassenbahn Rathaus 20 Pfennig obverse.jpg
    Strassenbahn Rathaus 20 Pfennig reverse.jpg

17. Circus

18. Circus

Atwood-Coffee Used during World War II on special Pacific Electric trains operating from LA to Terminal island. Used at turnstiles on Terminal Island. There are two variations donesn't mention what they are. Steel zinc coated, center hole, 24mm From volume 2

longnine009 and Muzyck like this.
  19. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

What is this thing? Mobile AL on one side and a (British?) crown on the other?

gggg.jpg

old49er, Stork and longnine009 like this.
  20. Circus

One of the many Mardi Gras throws, doubloons are large coins, either plastic or metal, that are usually in the Mardi Gras colors. These coins portray the mystic society's emblem, name, and founding date on one side, and the theme and year of the parade and ball on the other side. The Infant Mystics were the first Mobile mystic to toss doubloons in the mid-1960s.

What ever group that it was for might have been founded in 1907 It looks like two items held together by a bezel ring like used to make necklaces. Since somebody went to a lot of trouble to drill hole in a pattern. I can't make out the letters on the reverse. The crown and wreath are stock designs used when they don't want a custom die made. From the inside of the hole it looks to be ye;;ow/go;d anodized aluminum. Could have been a crude attempt at a love token. The meaning which will probably be only known to the one that did it.

longnine009 and wcoins like this.
  21. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Thank you!

So there's no chance this was made in 1907? Is it 1960 or later?

I have been trying to find a similar one for ages online but couldn't, aren't these supposed to be very common?

Draft saved Draft deleted