Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I'm not a big collector of challenge coins, but I have for years been searching to replace my lost CG coin from the old days.
    I found a couple of Challenge coins from the unit I served in and had to have them.

004_1511221234482.jpg
    006_1511221200744.jpg

To make it complete (to me anyway) I would love to find the CG coin though, does anyone know if thats possible?
    And, do they make batallion coins as well?
    The batallion I was in disbanned in 2001.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Swan

Swan A millon dollars short of being a millionaire

Very Nice. Thank you for your service.

Smojo likes this.
  4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. Circus

You've been to the Assoc store, You can always try thier facebook page with a message about what you are looking for. Or if their web site has some form of message exchange. That might be the fastest way
    You also can hit the items wanted forums on here and other forums

Smojo likes this.
  6. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Not mine (wish it was!!) but I saw this posted in a Horror Comics Fan forum and had to post it :)

MonsterCoin.jpg

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. Circus

He is a pic of my copy of the throw along with the obverse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are common in the secondary Mardis Gras throw market

9. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Since i didn't pick up much at the Baltimore show, I found this one on eBay and got it for a decent price. It's now known as my "Baltimore Coin."

The 1827 Large Cent is worn with a nice even toning to it. The stamp is from a Webster, MA. machinist and blacksmith named Nathan Cody c1820s / 1840s., possibly a few years later. This would likely be the stamp he used in his machining business, as blacksmith marks generally have a different look to them. I would guess it's from the 1830s.

Interestingly, Cody was related to "Wild Bill" Cody in some way. About 10 examples of the counterstamp have been found over the years. Though a couple of small dings in the stamp, it's still easily readable, and a nice example.

Bruce N Cody 1.JPG

10. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Hi Bruce .... That's a fine pick-up you made!

I have one on an 1816 cent that cost me $8. I found that Cody was listed in The Massachusetts Register for 1852 - the year he died - as a state representative from Webster. I suspect that his metal working talents may have exceeded those of the average blacksmith. Perhaps, he did some tinsmithing or even tried his hand with silver? To my knowledge, the latest dated host coin is 1851.

Not pretty, but here's my specimen ...

Cody, N.   1816 1c  ob.jpg Cody, N.   1816 1c  rv.jpg

11. Circus

12. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

13. Circus

Happy Thanksgiving to any and all members that celebrate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Circus

15. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

I was given a copy of "Rennick's Australian and New Zealand Token Values" (1st edition, 2012), which on p. 68 says this one was minted by Heaton & Sons along with a 1d. They are priced from AU$20 on up, which is the minimum listing price.

These tokens generally were issued because of a shortage of small change in Australia and New Zealand in the 19th century. After the British converted from copper to bronze in 1860, they seem to have made more of an effort to send quantities of small change to the Antipodes and the tokens were demonetized between 1863 and 1881, depending on which colony.

The reverse is one of a number of stock reverses based on the British copper coinage.

Stork likes this.
  16. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Very cool :) I actually just watched Frankenstein last night (had never seen the original all the way through) AND it turns out that yesterday (by some divine coincidence) was Boris Karloff's birthday so I went on ebay and found this hobo Coin for my collection :)

FrankensteinCoin.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Swan, Jwt708, old49er and 6 others like this.
  17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm going to mail my order in for these. 2017 OHNS Hobo Tokens. 2017 OHNS.jpg

Swan, longnine009, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  18. Circus

19. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The Ceylon one is a 1954 Geoffrey Hearn silver medal, and the others are all 1984 Richard Lobel medals. All five have the Edward VIII design on the obverse. The top two I posted on here before, whereas the bottom three I acquired this month.

upload_2017-11-25_11-48-37.png

-----------------------------------------------------

I believe this Great Britain one is by Richard Lobel, but I'm not entirely sure. It has a plain edge, it's non-magnetic, and weighs like silver. The seller sold this as being minted by INA, but that one looks different in Krause's Unusual World Coins catalog.

upload_2017-11-25_11-48-48.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    H8_modern, longnine009, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  20. yarm

yarm Junior Member

BHM 2185, Reopening of the Royal Exchange by W. Wyon. Great detail but reverse rim bump kept it from grading.

BHM 2185 copper 00005 copy.JPG BHM 2185 copper 00015 5 copy.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    longnine009, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 6 others like this.
  21. Circus

[​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG][/url]

longnine009, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted