Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG] My favorite

Attached Files:

Wehwalt, old49er, H8_modern and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

A random Dragon Slaying medal found on eBay for not too much. Uniface and mounted somewhere, somehow. It was inexpensive and from a favorite seller in France (though certainly not French!):

[​IMG]

I'm on a 'gotta pay for something pricey' spell right now, so not a lot of newps. This one begged to be the exception to the buying slowdown.

old49er, dwhiz, longnine009 and 4 others like this.
  4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

If you Like Dragon slayers, you will probably like this one.
    George and Dragon Badge.jpg

longnine009, old49er, Paddy54 and 7 others like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

What is that. Paddy? Is it a medal or token of some kind? Even though I'm not a dragon-slayer kind of guy, I like it very much.

Bruce

8. PaddyB

It is actually a badge of some sort, so a bit borderline to this forum I suppose. I just saw "dragon slayer" and remembered this one. I did quite a bit of research a couple of years ago to try to work out whose badge it was and got no definitive answer. To me it looks Germanic but could also be Eastern European - I seem to recall Hungary also has St George as their patron saint?

BRandM likes this.
  9. Tom Maringer

Tom Maringer Senior Member

Custom 1.25 inch copper fundraiser token for the Ozark Natural Science Center located in Bear Hollow in in Madison County Arkansas near Eureka Springs.
    ONSCcopper01.jpg
    ONSCcopper02.jpg

longnine009, old49er, Circus and 3 others like this.
  10. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

@PaddyB Nice one! Do you have a reverse?

As for what goes into being exonumia...well it's a wide ranging subject. Badges, medals, tokens, etc. Covers a whole lot IMO. Clear as mud sometimes--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exonumia (which does include badges ;)...and I'm pretty sure we'd include military awards/badges/command coins etc too). Notice the multiple use of the 'etc' when describing.

Some other forum calls US coins the 'lightside' (or liteside), world/ancients the 'darkside'. Canada has been referred to as the 'greyside' (in the US centric forum where these were coined--hah! see what I did there??!).

I would add exonumia is the 'farside'. Like the old Farside comic strip, highly recognizable in style, but content could be pretty far ranging.

old49er, Circus and Jwt708 like this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Here is another form of Notgeld, It is a transit token 30 pfennig
    Hoch Bahn means elevated railway. The company is still in business, started in 1911. IMG_0001_5.JPG IMG_0002_5.JPG

13. PaddyB

Thanks for the support!

The reverse is just a horizontal fixing pin with no marks. I do not have a picture to post.

By the way whereas the US uses the term "Exonumia" for all these tangential collectables, over here (UK) we also use Paranumismatics - there was a long discussion on this here a few years back.

Also over here the choice of term for home or away varies. For me British circulating coinage is "white", British colonies and dominions would be the "grey" and the rest of the world would be "dark"! (Where the US sits depends on whether I deem it an escaped colony or an entirely alien nation. With Trump in charge I am inclined to the latter!)

That leaves the question as to which shade or colour to apply to Exonumia/Paranumismatics. Given the extraordinary variety of collectables that fit in this category, maybe "Rainbow"? "Farside" is good too, and with the eccentricity of many of the collectors here, probably appropriate!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Circus, Jwt708 and Stork like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I like far side!

PaddyB and Circus like this.
  15. Circus

near the moon so really farside!!!:greyalien::vulcan::blackalien::droid::android::astronaut:

PaddyB and Jwt708 like this.
  16. Circus

17. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

@dwiz nice nickel wood. You just made me think of the loss of Archie "Rollie" Taylor this month. He played a big part in the Hobo coin society and will surely be missed.

18. Circus

19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Cool stuff, I have quite a few medals and tokens. Some that aren't in even in English, I just liked the spiritual look on the first one. If anyone knows anything about the Hindu one, I'd sure like to hear about it. IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1719.JPG IMG_1716.JPG IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1714.JPG Take a peek!

20. dwhiz

21. dwhiz

I had this frame, so I put my wooden nickel train in it. Wooden Nickel train in frame.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted