Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It seemed to have a random shaft of light beaming onto it, illuminating it out of the thousands of books there.

These 10 'visual grader cards' from 1960 were tucked inside. :) pretty cool.

Attached Files:

Rickipedia likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

That is a REALLY COOL pickup!A nice piece of literature. :)

4. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Large plaque (110mm) of Queen Victoria produced in bois durci.

[​IMG]

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

WOW! That's stunning yarm. What's the size and type of medal?---Bruce

6. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Does this guy count as exonumia? :)
    [​IMG]

YoYoSpin likes this.
  7. jsmc

jsmc New Member

Good evening
    I posted a medal in my introduction thread that I have been tying to date for awhile if anyone wants to take a look I would really appreciate it.

Jim

8. JBZ RAID

JBZ RAID New Member

9. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It has COINS on it!

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      250 KB
      Views:
  10. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was Spuds McKensie on that coin, but I have no idea what he'd have to do with Star Wars...

11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I would say no. It's a souvieneer in regards to a movie. It is not a commemorative or currency related.

12. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

It is a medal/token so it would fall in with everything else that is covered in the current and past literature. As they issued coinage style medals for some movies in the golden age.

13. Circus

He is an interesting junk box find form two weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rickipedia likes this.
  14. BRandM

Is there by chance an initial before "Fennell" that I can't see Circus? It looks like something's there but it may be a planchet dig or flaw. There's an "I. Fennell" counterstamp listed on an 1852 Large Cent in the Brunk reference (F-124). Do you know what the size of the copper coin is? ---Bruce

15. yarm

yarm Junior Member

1817 famine token, issued by whom for what purpose, I don't know.

[​IMG]

geekpryde and Rickipedia like this.
  16. Circus

[​IMG]

Is an enlarged photo of the area to the left of the word Fennel there is a dot and to the left of the dot is what looks like the top right part of a Capital I
    I copper wired brushed the token and holding the token just a little below eye level with a 10x loupe you can barely make out the body of the Letter I.
    I guess I have to increase the font size I use in the photo's It 6.4g's weight,26.90mm dia. 1,5mm thickness. I have a number of token books but not Burks, I guess it's time to bite the token and buy a copy.

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It still doesn't change my opinion. I wouldn't classify it as a medal. What's the style, round?

18. Circus

Wasn't trying to change your opinion, I am not into medals so I have no idea. But token collectors must be a little more relaxed in what they will call a token/medal/ et all. Since in Alperts book the key change screwdrivers, and other misc falls into the broad range of coverage.

19. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

20. BRandM

Yeah, that's definitely an "I" Circus. I couldn't tell from the original picture.---Bruce

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure who issued this, but I have seen it a few times - well, images, that is. :) See here:

http://www.odophil.ch/numismatik/medaillen/hunger/hunger.html (scroll down to #5 and 6)
    http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=331045
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces24759.html

The dates on that jeton (1816-1817) suggest famine effects of the Napoleonic Wars. The Numista listing however mentions the Mt Tambora eruption (Indonesia) which had an effect on harvests in Europe too ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted