Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Picked this up in a bag of token type coins. It is 45mm dia, 4.5mm thick and 39.68g.
    Hand engraved writing on the reverse that has a brass color to it.
    DSC06397.JPG DSC06396.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

While this Monitor piece is listed by Sullivan, among other political medalets, so are a great many of the Civil War tokens, listed by the Fulds'. Thus, I don't see it as an either/or situation. In the broad sense, a great many tokens from this era were political and/or patriotic in nature. Granted that many of the small, cent-sized tokens circulated as specie or money, a great many of the rarer CWT's survive in pristine condition and were obviously struck with collectors in mind, not merchants.

Here's another one of my favorites; this one, listed by both Sullivan as a political AND Fuld as a patriotic. Note that this piece, dated 1861, is silvered brass and larger in diameter than the Monitor token. It's long been dubbed "The Pilgrim" - likely due to the hat and/or the soldier's resemblance to John Wayne, a.k.a. "The Duke." Wayne wore a similar outfit in one of his cavalry movies, as I recall.

Pilgrim  147-227  SPL  ob.jpg Pilgrim  147-227  SPL  rv.jpg

gronnh20, Jwt708, BRandM and 7 others like this.
  4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I got these in a mixed bag of tokens the other day. I thought it interesting that one seems to be counter-stamped.
    DSC06349.JPG DSC06350.JPG

6. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DYC maybe the Detroit Yacht club

gronnh20, Jwt708, jello and 1 other person like this.
  7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I always liked this CWT, Bill. Very unusual. I hadn't thought about the resemblance to John Wayne's western gear, but it does resemble it. I knew The Duke was around a long time ago, but not that far back.<lol>

Bruce

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Aw shucks you two!

:oops:

Thanks for you support!

Circus and longnine009 like this.
  9. Circus

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Another new oneIgot recently. A Store Card "Bonus Check" worth $20 as far as I can figure.
    DSC06377.JPG DSC06376.JPG

dwhiz, Stork and jello like this.
  11. SimpleMan673

SimpleMan673 New Member

Is there anybody that can tell me how to post some of my coins

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do you have the images on your hard drive?

13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

alurid likes this.
  14. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

The 20/- reads as 20 shillings in pre-decimal money = one pound.

Not sure if this one is related but several years ago I had a bag full of "Covent Garden" check tokens. They were used by market-gardeners (growers of vegetables and fruit for the market) who sent their produce to Covent Garden in London via independent carriers. To avoid these carriers making off with the funds all transactions were paid for in these tokens. They were struck in brass, copper and zinc in numerous denominations and always with the name of the grower or farm on them. Most were for pennies or a few shillings. Twenty shillings was big money in those days!

alurid likes this.
  15. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In our area this was the other White Castle hamburger joint along with Top Hat hamburgers long before the other fast food joints. Before paper cups, and cartons milk came into the schools in glass bottles, and the food joints used them for take out coffee. A kid could make some money by picking them up and taking them back to the local hamburger stand from construction sites.

dwhiz, Stork, gronnh20 and 4 others like this.
  16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thank You both very much for such Good information.

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I used to hunt for bottles all the time when I was a kid. The quart beer bottles were the best-worth 5c. :)
    [​IMG]

Circus and davidharmier60firefox like this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

19. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I do need help with this one. I made a post and asked, but not many replys.
    Guesses at German origin. I have a 25 and a 10 demomination both are same expept for size. The serifs are quite different from anything that i have seen before. This one is 26mm square and seems to be Zinc. Any Help will greatly appreciated.

DSC06346.JPG DSC06347.JPG

Attached Files:

gronnh20, longnine009, Circus and 3 others like this.
  20. Circus

21. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

gronnh20, longnine009, Stork and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted