Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

s-l1600.png
    Seller's pics - just picked up this "Double Header" Civil War token - NY-630L-17a, with two (nearly) identical dies, the latter in it's terminal state. This example is also weakly struck on one edge. R-2, but not offered as often as the rarity would indicate.

$25 shipped - I couldn't say no.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

4. Circus

5. Circus

6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

No idea who made this but I like it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Circus

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

9. Circus

Have no idea why it started or what is going on. I post the same things on two other coin forums and post photo's on other forums and no problems on them including other same forum soft ware and no problems.

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Good day for me to get some exonumia
    1922 Peace Dollar coin " from a movie" ? I don't know but it was a good story. When the coin is flipped the "good side" = life, the cut side meant death. PD 1922 2-horz.jpg
    So the I asked about any thing Rail Road related
    PC 2-horz.jpg

So we get talking and I mention I was up in the area to ride the Colebrookdale Railroad as they give free rides this weekend for veterans and he gave me this token. That was nice of him.
    AF 1-horz.jpg

11. jester3681

My recent NGC ---> PCGS crossover submission just hit. Mr. Arnold did a magnificent job on the TrueViews, so I thought I would share.

84073699_800x600.jpg
    OH165CY-110a (Formerly OH100B-3a, and listed as such on the label) - Listed as R.9, probably closer to R.6 - likely a census example. NGC and PCGS agreed - MS63BN. Love the tone!

84073700_800x600.jpg
    OH200B-1a - Listed as R.6 - this example has an "almost clip" on the obverse at 8 o'clock. NGC and PCGS agreed - MS62BN.

84073701_800x600.jpg
    OH-46-5B (PCGS has this listed as a -25B, so I'll need to verify the error on the label and possible send it back for reholder) - Listed as R.8 - likely the finest known, or nearly so. I like this example, and so did James Kurto, Paul Koppenhaver, David Schenkman, Steve Tanenbaum, and Rick Irons. This coin was plated in the 2ed Sutler's Guide. NGC and PCGS agreed - MS61.

84073702_800x600.jpg
    OH-26-10B - Listed as R.9 - likely the finest known. From the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection. NGC and PCGS agreed - AU58. The NGC label noted the Ford pedigree, hopefully the PCGS one does as well, otherwise it goes back too.

I'm going to be on the phone with PCGS Tuesday morning to try to catch the submission before it comes back, but I have a feeling it's already in transit. I kind of get the feeling PCGS phoned in this submission, but that's ok - I agreed with the grades as submitted.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Gosh I love that sutler! Great group @jester3681 !

By the way, have you read the Sutler book? I want to read it but at $100 it's hard to pull the trigger.

jester3681 likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed the discussion of the counterstamps guys. Not something I collect, but I greatly enjoy the research and the stories you guys are able to tell from these artifacts.

How about a couple recent pickups from me? Photos courtesy of eBay seller rdmoc:

Columbus AFB 5c Pw.jpg

Loring AFB $1 SQ alx.jpg

These two bases were prolific issuers of tokens. I have so may from Loring that this is the first token I've bought in a year. Tokens from both bases are generally common but I really like colored tokens instead of just the plain aluminum or brass types.

Now each of these bases issued clay chips that I think are scarcer and in the case of Loring, the $5 chip has still eluded me.

14. Circus

15. jester3681

I have both editions of Schenkman and the Curto pamphlet - the second edition of Schenkman's guide is worth the money. Large, full color images with a ton of information. If you have an interest in sutler tokens, it's a must.

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

17. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Threepence token from Wiveliscombe, Somerset, issued by clothier John Featherstone (Withers-1225.) It's hefty at 45mm and 58gms.

According to Withers, the inhabitants of Wiveliscombe were chiefly employed in the manufacture of coarse woolen cloth for use by slaves in the West Indies. The cloth industry in Wiveliscombe did not survive the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire in 1833.

P1010224.JPG P1010225.JPG

18. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

20170528_100836.jpg

Mystery solved. on another site I found out this is a 1986 Thailand Token.

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Follow up question if you don't mind - is it more than a catalog?

20. jester3681

There's some introductory information, a history of the sutler, and background for the most prominent die sinkers. Maybe 15 pages? The rest is the illustrated catalogue.

It also includes cardboard scrip.

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted