Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I was happy to get the Devins & Bolton stamp after all these years, Bill. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything else at the show, so this one was the highlight. Not bad though, I've had worse shows.

I researched the JEC & Co stamp quite a few years ago, and found several possibilities, but none were a lock. I thought for awhile it might be the silversmith J.E. Caldwell & Co. but gradually gave up on that one because of the confusion. Caldwell was from Philadelphia, but at the time I wasn't aware of the Baltimore stamp on some examples. There was just too many possibilities.

The Georgia Minstrels stamp is an important one, and a great catch. Brunk's latest shows 18 examples known, all on Half Dollars. It's a great piece and well struck and centered. I don't recall offhand seeing one offered before, but I may have missed it if it were. Great additions, Bill.

Bruce

Jwt708 and ExoMan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you didn't find more than the one c/s at the show. The GS Show is a fairly large one, is it not? My last large show was the Blue Ridge event in Georgia. I came home with but one c/s from that large show, being all I could find! The counterstamps, decent ones, seem to be drying up; particularly so, the classic ones from the 1800's.

Do you have a J.E.C. & Co. c/s, Bruce? I did some cursory research and thought Caldwell to be a possibe issuer, along with two other prospects. I'll get around to more astutely studying that one in time. There seem to be others that are more on the front burner right now.

I've been trying to avoid purchasing too many mavericks, as the research is ever so time consuming. I caved on the J.E.C. & Co. / Balto piece because knowing the town is a major clue for attribution. The maverick I bought at the Georgia show was only $20, and I simply liked the look of it (shield - regimental?). Here it is ...
    (shield) 16,  1828  hc  ob.jpg

4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Thanks Bruce - I'm not familiar with how Brunk lists counter stamps. Is there any info on the issuer, or just known examples?

BRandM likes this.
  5. BRandM

No info, jester, just the one listed piece. I'll take a look around for you when I get the chance and see if I can find anything.

Bruce

jester3681 likes this.
  6. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Considering the wear on this CWT, Jester, it appears to me that the c/s was applied much later. Generally speaking, I've found that the later a counterstamp was applied, the more difficult it is to attribute a piece. For this reason, I tend to prefer collecting the early to mid 1800's pieces.

I found that one William S. Elwin was a member of the N.E.P.A. or National Electro-Platers' Association, having attended a banquet The banquet was held at the Broadway Central Hotel on Feb. 21, 1913 with 261 members present, being over three times the prior year's attendance. This info was published in a professional journal called "The Metal Industry", vol. 2, no. 3.

I found a William S. Elwin listed as a painter in an 1882-83 Salem, Mass. directory. This may be the same chap, working thirty years prior. Yet another, or the same William S. Elwin was living in Woodstock, NY, Ulster County, in 1899; this, per a government listing of military and civil service registrants. Finally, Wm. S. Elwin may have attended Amherst College, given a snippet I encountered in my search.

While none of this amounts to a slam dunk ID, there are some leads here that may perhaps be tied together. The name is apparently a rare one, leading me to suspect that the electroplater could well be the issuer. Perhaps, he was a coin collector, too, and gave his stamped coins/tokens away as personal calling cards; this, akin to the practice of numismatist, Jim E. Skalbe of Boston. Although frustrating at times, much fun can often be had, sleuthing these mysterious counterstamps. Have at it then, Jester.

Jwt708, BRandM, Stork and 2 others like this.
  7. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

8. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Oooo, I saw that one (or at least the same medal type if not the actual same medal) on ebay recently. Was VERY tempted. That is an awesome one!

A new one for me:

Sweden/Exploring of East/West Africa. I've been looking for the 1826 London Zoological medal that happens to have a giraffe (love 'em) and a stork (duh) on it. Ran across this one...different species of stork, but still good.

[​IMG]

10. BRandM

The GSNA show is a decent sized one, but no more than 70 or 80 dealers, Bill. The good thing for me is that it attracts dealers I don't always see at other venues. Somerset is very close to New York, so dealers from there and North Jersey attend. It's fun to go to, but isn't usually productive for me.

No, I don't have a J.E.C. & Co. stamp. I've seen a few over the years, but it was never an issue I really had to have, so passed on bidding.

I've always liked the Shield / 16 counterstamp, and have often wondered who issued it, and its purpose. I've always felt there was a military connection, but could never find a match. I would have paid $20 for it for sure. That's a nice snag for only a Jackson, Bill.

Bruce

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

13. Circus

14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  15. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

If you like old railroad exonumia, I will post pics below.

16. SchwaVB57

Freight agent business cards and railroad employee passes IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG

H8_modern and longnine009 like this.
  17. SchwaVB57

IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0265.JPG More railroad agent cards

H8_modern and longnine009 like this.
  18. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Really cool agent cards and maps! Neat to see the Grand Trunk map - any date on it? I run in and out of the old GTW Lang Yard in Toledo, pictured on the map.

SchwaVB57 and longnine009 like this.
  19. Circus

20. SchwaVB57

No date, but the phone number is only Main and 3 digits. My guess is 50's at the latest.

21. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

It's not mine, just a favorite medal I like. It does look antiqued though.

Draft saved Draft deleted