Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ikes inaugural

jester3681 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

4. Circus

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

img511.jpg img512.jpg I found this while cleaning out my supply cabinet

6. dwhiz

I really like silver dollars with stickers on them
    Wagon Wheel 1a-horz.jpg

7. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting and fairly rare 19th century Nevada Mining medal I've had for many years. It's silver and 35 mm in diameter. It appears totally original to me and has some really great colors that don't show in my photos. Below is a little info about the mine and the area:

NV - Meadow Valley,Lincoln County - 1867 - First Product/ By/ Mill Process/ In The/ Pah-Ranagat/ Mining District/ Nevada/ Jany 1867.// F. Prentice Mining 26 Pine St./ New York. The P mining District was formed in 1865, about 60 miles W of Meadow Valley. William Raymond moved a mill from Los Angeles to process the ore, but despite his investment in equipment, was forced into a partnership with another Pahranagat Valley miner, John H. Ely. Their mill was subsequently moved to Meadow Valley.

MVC-285S.JPG

8. Circus

9. dwhiz

Just found this in my camera bag. I was there in Jan. 2016 Ripleys.JPG

10. Circus

11. goombanj

goombanj Member

mo1.jpg mo4.jpg
    mo1.jpg mo4.jpg

Anyone shed some light on this medal?

Attached Files:

• mo3.jpg
      mo3.jpg
      File size:
      152.1 KB
      Views:
    • mo5.jpg
      mo5.jpg
      File size:
      153.2 KB
      Views:
    • mo2.jpg
      mo2.jpg
      File size:
      262.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Circus

one of many medals produced by the non profit for fund raising. There are Franklin mint sets of 120 in Silver and bronze relating medals to Jewish cultural History. Also famous Jewish women set. This being gold plated the value is negligible

13. Circus

14. Circus

15. Circus

16. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I went to the Garden State Numismatic Association annual show yesterday with some guys from my coin club. It's a state wide show, so has a decent number of dealers. It's a mixed bag for me...sometimes good, sometimes bad...so I don't always attend. This year I got a nice counterstamp that I've been meaning to buy for as long as I can remember.

These are very common and readily available. I've seen hundreds over the years, but never pulled the trigger until now. It's really a high-end stamp, but for whatever reason never picked one up. This example is exceptionally well struck and nicely centered.

Devins & Bolton was a Canadian company that manufactured medicines and chemicals from 1863 until 1880, when Mr. Bolton withdrew. Richard Devins continued the business alone, but it's not clear if he remained in business under the same name. It's been estimated that the company counterstamped nearly 200,000 coins...basically every copper coin that they came across in the course of their business. No D & B stamps are known on silver coins as far as I know.

Although a Canadian based company, they counterstamped coins from dozens of countries, but many, many of them from the U.s. Counterstamped Large Cents with their mark are known on hundreds of coins. Thanks for looking.

Bruce Devins&Bolton 1.JPG Devins&Bolton 2.JPG

17. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Hey Bruce .... The D&B c/s is one of the nicest strikes I've seen, both coin and stamp-wise. Overall, downright pretty, it is, and I, too, have seen a few hundred of them. Congrats on finding this choice specimen.

Here are pics of the four pieces I told you about. The Georgia Minstrels piece, a half dollar, is one that's been on my radar for some years now. The Daniel True c/s is equally desirable to me. The J.E.C. & Co. / Balto c/s looks to me like a jeweler or watchmaker c/s that's begging attribution.

J.E.C. & Co, Balto  1844 1c  ob.jpg J.E.C. & Co, Balto  1844 1c  rv.jpg Sprague & Blodgett's Georgia Minstrels  1876 50c  1ob.jpg True, D., Albany  1814 1c  ob2.jpg Myers, Court  1861 1c  ob.jpg Myers, Court  1861 1c  ob.jpg

18. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

My husband spotted this on eBay and surprised me with it. I found the auction and it looks like he won it for $1.75 (which explains why I didn't get it for a birthday/anniversary/Christmas present)...but considering my collecting interests the monetary amount is not reflective of how cool it is to me. A++++++ husband!

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell the Society is defunct, but I have more research to do.

19. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Double exonumia! A counterstamped Civil War token - seller's pictures. I just picked this one up on eBay for a very fair price from a Colonial dealer I've done business with in the past.

Fuld obverse 51, reverse is most likely 342, possibly 342A - it's probably not possible to identify due to the flattening of the design as the difference between the two is the beaded border. The counterstamp appears to be "S. ELWIN" - does anyone have Brunk handy to see if this one is listed? I'd be in your debt.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

20. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Note on the above - it looks like there is a known counterstamp "W.S. ELWIN" - I imagine this is the same. Any additional info would be appreciated.

BRandM likes this.
  21. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

The only Elwin I can find is the one you mention, jester. The only documented W.S. Elwin example is on an 1864 2-Cent piece, so fits the time period of your CWT nicely.

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted