Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Today's hard times tokens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz, old49er, Paul M. and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Is that what they would give back as change for a food stamp?

4. Circus

Yes like the old tax tokens/stamps they come in paper, fiber, metal, plastic Of course you can only use it at the named store. My understanding is so stores just used pennies for amounts under a dime/nickel.

Paul M. and longnine009 like this.
  5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Yes, it's an HT-34. A nice clean token, ipen.

Bruce

longnine009 and iPen like this.
  6. Circus

7. Circus

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That's a great medal. I would love to collect some of the stuff you post, but storage and funds limit me a bit. :) I'm already into too much different stuff (commemoratives, ancients, Civil War tokens, etc!). :p

What is that scene on the reverse supposed to be?

SmokinJoe likes this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Just picked these up at the coin show in Langhorne, PA. I didn't plan to go but I went anyhow. Nice little show.
    Stone Mt A-horz.jpg
    Train Dog B-horz.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Jwt708, Stork, SmokinJoe and 7 others like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

11. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got to love pawn shops, but some should stop watching pawn stars. And most are not. I picked up a collection of this style limited edition gaming tokens. some contain a .6oz of .999 silver the older versions the newer ones only .5oz. Since I was the only person that had any interest in them or even asked about them, they gave me a deal to free up counter space.

Nathan401, Jwt708, Stork and 5 others like this.
  12. Diane Harriet

Diane Harriet Active Member

Found this one last night in Dad's coins. Thanks @SmokinJoe for coming over yesterday and checking out Dad's coins with us. Diane :) I take reponsibility obverse .JPG I take responsibility reverse .JPG

Paul M., H8_modern, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  13. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

No problem Di! It was my pleasure!!! You got some awesome coins!! Don't listen
    to the airheads out there....They don't know squat....

14. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I'm not sure if the reverse is anything truly specific--just along the lines of a Saint slaying a reptile...good defeating evil type of thing.

Storage was a big problem when moving a lot. We eventually moved into my husband's childhood home and my in laws (downsizing) left a few pieces of furniture including an antique curio cabinet that is too old to be off-gassing anything anymore plus an old ?button cabinet (many flat drawers). Lots of room for display (or not) and I use inert plastic stands and/or large pvc flips and/or large airtites depending on where I have things.

Of course it would help if I could actually focus on a limited number of things to collect too :rolleyes: :D

longnine009, Paul M. and Jwt708 like this.
  15. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Got 2 cool items that need research. One is , I think, a privately made dog tag in sterling silver used between WWI and WWII. The other is obviously a good for token that isn't in any of my token books and google isn't much help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And an early, real dog tag.
    [​IMG]

Jwt708, old49er, jello and 6 others like this.
  16. Circus

17. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    last one in the series, from the excaliber

Jwt708, jello, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  18. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Another medal by Borrel, Guilted silver.The medal was instituted on 13 July 1886 to reward long and faithful service in employment.
    Medal of Honour for Labour
    (Médaille d'Honneur du Travail)
    Gold medal for 30 years service. cats-horz.jpg BORREL, Alfred (1836-1927) French engraver.
    Born Paris 18 August 1836. Died 1927.
    Son of Valentin Maurice Borrel. He is most noted
    for his French 10 centime of 1846 He also created coins
    for Crete, Greece, Monaco and Zanzibar.

Paul M., Jwt708, Stork and 5 others like this.
  19. Circus

20. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I just added this very rare Philadelphia counterstamp to my collection. It's the first one I've ever seen from this issuer. I have a special interest in Philadelphia issues and this is my 25th one. It's basically a high-end set, with a number of coins formerly owned by Dave Bowers, Greg Brunk, Anthony Terranova, John J. Ford, etc. The provenance makes them special to me. I don't have any on this specimen. I bought it from a man in Ft. Wayne, IN., but he had no information to pass on.

The stamp was issued by an engraver and stencil cutter named George L. Farrel, who was in business c1840s / 1850s. This coin was stamped sometime before 1856 as his address changed that year to 45 S. 4th St.

This is only the third example of his work documented. All three are on Spanish 2-Reales dated 1774, 1789, and mine on an 1800. The rough hole is unfortunate, but for rare as these Farrel pieces are, it's not a big deal...probably the only one I'll ever see.

Bruce GL Farrel 1.JPG GL Farrel 2.JPG

Paddy54, H8_modern, dwhiz and 8 others like this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That is a Fantastic Reale, The square punch is a little unfortunate. But, I am sure it could tell a story.

BRandM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted