Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Engraved by John Sigismund Tanner, medallist and engraver to the London Mint based on the design of Hubert Gravelot.

[​IMG]

MKent, 49ers, geekpryde and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

yarm - superb engraving work on that one!

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Here are some:

Sample slabs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rzage likes this.
  5. Treashunt

And some Presentation Guide Books, signed by R S Yeoman:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and another:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rzage likes this.
  6. Treashunt

How about a Watts Creek Coal Company token:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rzage likes this.
  7. Treashunt

So-Called $'s:

HK-415A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rzage likes this.
  8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here are a few items that qualify as exonumia. I'll look for a few more photos.

Attached Files:

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

A few more items.....

Attached Files:

J.T. Parker likes this.
  10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

....and here are some NASA medals commemorating Apollo 8 & 11 and a private medal commemorating the shuttle engine.

Attached Files:

49ers likes this.
  11. yarm

yarm Junior Member

The Popes have engaged some terrific engravers for their medals. This architectural medal in high relief (Mazio 624) was engraved by Joseph Cerbara for Gregory XVI in 1836. I found the incorporation of a river god on a papal medal pretty interesting!

[​IMG]

MKent, 49ers and geekpryde like this.
  12. AnkurJ

AnkurJ New Member

These are my favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MKent, 49ers, geekpryde and 1 other person like this.
  13. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I really like the design on your Copper Pan American Expo piece. That obverse art is awesome. :hail:

In this medal the nice lady is offering a bowl of milk to her cat.

Attached Files:

15. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

16. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

17. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Outstanding set of medals Barry. This is exonumia at its best.

Bruce

18. BRandM

003.JPG 004.JPG Mershon 1.jpg Mershon 2.jpg
    This Mershon counterstamp (Brunk M-613) has been known to collectots for years and, apparently, is unique as no other examples have surfaced. I can trace its provenance back only to 1985 when it appeared in a Bowers & Merena auction. In a later 2007 Steve Hayden mail bid sale it sold for $220. I acquired it just a few weeks ago from an Illinois collector and researcher who I believe is the one who bought it from Hayden.

I researched this piece several years ago when it was still unattributed. Interestingly, the collector I bought it from had investigated it at some point also and came to the same conclusion as I did.

Daniel Mershon was a stove and furnace manufacturer in Philadelphia from 1840 until his death in 1865. After he died his two sons (Albert and George) took over the business and changed the name from Daniel Mershon & Sons to Daniel Mershon's Sons. They were in business at 1209 Market St. until 1868 when they relocated to 1203 Filbert St. They remained in business until at least 1905.

The business envelope pictured above appears to be postmarked Februauy 13, 1885 but the cancellation is very faint. By the way, the addressee on the envelope is Gilbert R. Fox who was a prominent attorney in Norristown, PA. Perhaps the Mershons used him for legal representation.

Bruce

ddollard58 likes this.
  19. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Wow. Some very cool pieces you guys have in here. I have some medals and what not, but this is my favorite exo piece.
    I found it when going through a box of cents. I am from Detroit, so it made it that much more awesome.

[​IMG]

geekpryde likes this.
  20. BRandM

Nice Civil War token gbroke. I tried to attribute this one for you but there are so many obscure differences to the indian head dies that I couldn't really be sure. My best bet is that it's an example of MI225V-3A and an R-4. It's been around the block a few times but still a great historical token. Thanks for showing it.

Bruce

21. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Nice Bruce, thanks for the information. I will make a note of it!

Draft saved Draft deleted