Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a couple more I got, the first one is a very rare token that you hardly see around. It's called a lucky mo-jo token and I was told it's from the 1930's, idk. The next one is a true bordello token from France, all I know for sure is it's definitely a shell token.

And no, it wasn't issued by Shell oil, it means it hardly weighs anything because of what it's made of, some kind of early plastic or something. One of the reasons shell tokens were made is because if you had it in your pocket, you wouldn't spend it because its lighter than all the other coins you might have. coins 006.JPG coins 007.JPG coins 013.JPG coins 015.JPG coins 016.JPG

old49er, jello, Circus and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Mojo, is not a bad thing to have.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a couple more from my collection. I still don't have pictures of all I have but as I buy, I simply save the sellers token. Don't be surprised if you see one you sold to me. lol Here's a builders medal from NY, 1891. Isn't that something, all you had to do was be a builder and you could get a medal! I wonder what a plumber got, probably a load of t*rds. lol The next pic is one I think is from George B. Soley minted on the steam press he bought from the US Mint, dated 1876. That's right, ole George was the first Daniel Carr!! :D s-l16builderspin00.jpg s-l16builderspina00.jpg coins 021.JPG coins 024.JPG coins 026.JPG

old49er, jello, Circus and 4 others like this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Wikipedia has some more info about this place. The article (in German) also mentions the tokens. Seems that later this year the Aux Belles Poules can be visited (article in French) again, as a sort of prostitution museum ...

Christian

6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Like walking the halls of Congress

7. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the Token catalog TC-311071, Location is currently a vacant lot. Located south of the Ford Piquette ave plant, north of Harper ave.

Jwt708, old49er, longnine009 and 3 others like this.
  8. Circus

9. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

This is by far my largest medal at 68 mm.,120 grams. 1899 Coudray, Orpheus looking back into the underworld. In Greek legend, Orpheus (Greek: Ὀρφεύς) was the chief representative of the arts of song and the lyre, and of great importance in the religious history of Greece. The mythical figure of Orpheus was borrowed by the Greeks from their Thracian neighbors; the Thracian "Orphic Mysteries", rituals of unknown content, were named after him. 189968mmorpheusmedalobv.jpg orpheusmedalrev.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That very modern-looking cello on the reverse looks rather out of place. Still a great medal. :)

old49er likes this.
  12. Circus

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I remember back in grade school New York state parks rangers came told class about fire safety and handed out something like this 1956 I think.
    Nice one!

dwhiz likes this.
  14. Circus

I think I have something similar in bronze from earlier, about preventing forest fires

jello likes this.
  15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am not sure what happened to mine. I most likely lost it or traded it a long time ago.

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Circus

18. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

More RI stuff for the collection 20170110_144108-1.jpg 20170110_144124-1.jpg

19. dwhiz

Arrived today,another car for the train. Hobo Circus 1l-horz.jpg hobo train 1.jpg

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

dwhiz likes this.
  21. dwhiz

Thanks just need the box car.

Draft saved Draft deleted