Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@yarm- even though only four letters of the name are present in your ID here, I know who YOU are! I got one of my top favorites for my Box of 20 from you!

Still handling the stunning eyecandy, I see...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Thanks. This is a fun piece. It is one of three WW1 pieces I had (you probably saw Harold Shaver's French franc above). I have yet a third trench art piece on a French two-franc coin that I have not posted yet for lack of decent photos and the fact I have not yet researched it. But the previous owner found some information about the original named person online, so it looks promising.

I kept the "Sailmaker's Badge" piece because it is a "holey". Recently decided to rejuvenate my avatar Holey Coin Hat with a collection of holey love token and engraved pieces. So The Sailmaker's Badge made the cut and survived my recent purge of the exonumia. Onto the hat it will go. The other piece (call it "The Doughboy's Badge") won't- it's not a holey, so once I research it, I'll put it up for sale. I don't think it's aviation related, though. It's an American soldier's badge. The guy was from my home state of GA, too. But I don't feel the need to keep it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    longnine009 and Jwt708 like this.
  4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

rats, I missed it. :)

6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Here's a recent pickup.

Hungary
    Fare Token 1933
    Budapest Transport Authority
    Aluminum-Bronze 1.6g 18mm

These were struck in both 1933 and 1936. I don't have any idea how many were struck, however, examples from 1936 seem to be significantly scarcer. Finding one this nice is a condition rarity. Most examples have moderate wear and are darkly toned. This is the earliest use of unusual aluminum-bronze planchets I know of in Hungary; this composition was also used in striking small coinage from 1946-1950.

HUN_BPTransit_1933_obv.jpg
    HUN_BPTransit_1933_rev.jpg

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what this one commemorates. Could not find info on a visit to Canada.
    May have been to raise moneys. Or just 60 year anniversary. DSC04201.JPG DSC04202.JPG

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Marcelle Renee Lancelot-Croce (1863-1942?), 1916, bronze. The Work of the Barbarians (L'Oeuvre des Barbares).

Amazing detail in the medal--it's only 60 mm, but the mother's desolate expression is captured while cradling her baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lordmarcovan

@Stork is the absolute queen of "Mother & Child" coins and exonumia!

That's a stunning piece of WW1 propaganda/history.

11. lordmarcovan

"The Two Leroys": Friendship token on 1922 Peace dollar

[​IMG]

Host coin: 1922 USA Peace dollar.
    Obverse: original design, unaltered except for tiny engraved script reading, "Token of Friendship / From Leroy to Leroy".
    Reverse: original eagle design, unaltered.

Sorry for the quickie cellphone shots on this one. The bezel is modern and a recent addition by me. It can be removed without affecting the coin if the next owner doesn't want it.

I thought this piece was fun. The script is reasonably well done, obviously by hand, and engraved deeply enough to have survived the time this spent as one Leroy's pocket piece. The lettering is quite small. Who were Leroy and Leroy? My pet theory is that this is a World War II-era "buddies" friendship token (those are often seen on Peace dollar host coins), but there's no way to really know for sure. (Alternately, it's amusing to imagine an absurd scenario where one person named Leroy was so self-absorbed that he created a love token coin for himself. Haha.)

This was formerly part of my Engraved/Counterstamped/Oddball Type Set. When posted here, it was part of my swapstock inventory.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  12. Circus

13. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

On this day December 7, 1941, The attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese happened, Sending the U.S. into the fray of World War 2. Here's my elongated cent I got at the Arizona Memorial a long time ago. Also a pic of the front of the newspaper I have. arizonamemorialtoken4.jpg arizonamemorialtokenrev.jpg pearlharbor newspaper 1.jpg

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Is there a way to automatically just hit the like button every time you post? It would save me a lot of time. :>)

16. Circus

Another oldie but goodie!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Circus

18. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

s-l500.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg
    Seller's pictures - Heintz & Henkle Columbus Civil War Token. This one was an upgrade for the issuer - the one I had was a details coin, and a different die variety. This is 200B-1a, Rarity 6, NGC MS62BN. This completes the short set of Columbus CWTs for me, although there are a ton of die varieties yet to get.

19. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I grew up in the world of the suburban commuter. My father got up every morning at 4am to catch a ride on the Long Island Rail Road and I did the same out of college. There was an iconic symbol on the trains when I first started my commutes... "The dashing commuter". Another iconic symbol if you took the Long Island Expressway into "the city" while passing the old grounds of the 1964 - 1965 World's Fair was the "Unisphere". This token captures both...

Worlds Fair token 1964 1965 front.jpg
    Worlds Fair token 1964 1965 back.jpg

21. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I found one of these back in my pre teens in a box of five cent per coin boxes in the mid 70's. For years it was the only "coin" that I could not identify. It was only with the help of the wonderful world of the internet that I was able to research and determine that it is a token for the Galata bridge in Turkey from around 1912. On a funny note, I saw a second one for the first time a few years ago that I purchased as a coin from Yemen. On Ebay of course. The seller even had an incorrect Y number assigned. :wideyed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galata_Bridge

Galata bridge tokens.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted