Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Masonic token, it hits close to home.
    token catalog #406725
    This one has a different scroll and mallet rev. IMG_2623.JPG IMG_2622.JPG

longnine009, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Really like that Kennedy , nice engraving on that. This one has a $1.50 price sticker on its case. DSC04298.JPG DSC04299.JPG

longnine009, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

The older political pieces like this one are rare, Dplodocus. Most from this era are defacements, such as scratched out eyes, tooling to the portrait, heavy cut marks across the throat, etc. Some may simply be anti-monarchist, while others are related to the Irish/English conflict.

Nearly none are as overtly anti-Catholic or anti-Protestant as this one, but the implications are there. Now contemporary pieces can be very much to the point, but are usually represented by acronyms. I've seen "F#@* the Pope" (FTP), the Queen Mother (FTQM), the Queen (FTQ), and on and on.

I do have one with a Union Jack struck across the Harp on an old Irish coin. I'll attach a pic of a few pieces.

Bruce Eye Gough WW C 1.JPG Union Jack Over Harp 1.JPG FTQM 1.JPG

6. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Great stuff! I have the presidential spouse medals for the bachelor presidents, the mint released. Thought they were neat. I did a little research, and came up with this interesting tidbit on the braided hair medal. It matches to a pattern coin, really interesting I thought. have to research the others still. braidehairpresspousemedalobv.jpg jamesbuchanon.jpg http://coinauctionshelp.com/Pattern_Guides/libertyheadcent_$2.50goldobverse.html#.WB-RUbszXIs the obverse on the 2 1/2 dollar gold. too. I was checking the braided hair large cents for a match. Don't have any 2 1/2 gold so didn't realize it was this obverse.my bad...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I had these given to me many years ago. I think my mother got them at the philly mint. A set of three in different metals. Longacre engraveings.

Attached Files:

8. Pickin and Grinin

This is about the size of a Morgan but, much thicker. IMG_2632.JPG IMG_2633.JPG IMG_2634.JPG

9. Pickin and Grinin

10. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Well, I think I uploaded what I wanted to in my post a bit back. Lol

Attached Files:

alurid, old49er, longnine009 and 2 others like this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Lordy, lordy look what I won 1908 William Penn.jpg

12. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not one to let the houses profit slide when in doubt start a collector series of chips. Both sides of the same chip.

old49er, longnine009, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  13. Circus

14. yarm

yarm Junior Member

1988 CSNA convention.

P1010044.jpg P1010045.jpg

alurid, Jwt708, old49er and 5 others like this.
  15. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

T. Webb and G. Mills. 1817, bronze, 50 mm. The death of Princess Charlotte.

Princess Charlotte was the only legitimate child of the future King George IV and thus the heiress presumptive for the throne of England. Born in 1796 to unpopular parents, she herself was extremely popular with the public.

She declined marriage to the Prince of Orange and subsequently married, for real affection if not love, the somewhat impoverished Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. It was a happy marriage and after two miscarriages she subsequently carried the next pregnancy to term.

She was cared for by Sir Richard Croft who was of the more conservative, lower intervention, school of obstetric care. Early in pregnancy she gained excess weight and was subsequently put on a strict diet. Bleedings were done as was standard practice for the time. Thus she entered her confinement in a weakened state and carrying a large child.

Her water broke and she labored for 50 hours, apparently crowning for 24 of the hours with the baby in a malpresentation--either breech or more likely 'occiput' transverse' (head down but looking sideways instead of up or down...not generally favorable for a delivery) depending on descriptions given.

Signs of fetal stress were seen (meconium/passing of fetal stool) and indeed once she delivered, the baby was stillborn (and weighed 9#).

Princess Charlotte herself passed away about 6 hours later after heavy bleeding. Her death could have been due solely to the post partum hemorrhage (at risk given her length of labor and large baby) or possibly complicated by sepsis and/or DIC.

Sir Croft was heavily criticized for declining advice to use forceps (even barring an expert consultant from attending to the Princess according to some sources). Forceps may or may not have saved either of them, but would have improved the odds. Sir Croft later killed himself, and thus the delivery is known as the 'triple obstetric tragedy'.

The Prince-Regent George and his wife, Caroline pretty much hated each other and no attempt was made for another child after the birth of Charlotte. After Caroline's death (and after a failed attempt at divorce or annulment) the future King made no attempt at re-marriage or fathering another heir. Subsequently the race was on with his siblings to produce an heir, with success by the Duke of Kent who was able to marry and eventually the future Queen Victoria was born.

Queen Victoria was quite prolific, and from Victoria's offspring the hemophilia B gene (suspected to be a spontaneous mutation in her mother) was introduced into ruling houses of Spain, Germany and Russia.

Interestingly Queen Victoria married Albert, the nephew of Princess Charlotte's husband (who, after Charlotte's death, became the King of Belgium. He had turned down the offer to become the King of Greece so he progressed rather far from being the broke dude who married a Princess, but I digress).

One could argue that obstetrical choices led to rather dramatic historical outcomes. Different choices might have at the very least, saved the Princess, who may have had a second child and resulted in a drastically different future.

In addition, the idea of interventions in the labor process gained traction including increased use of forceps, uterotonics (medications resulting in stronger and increased contractions in labor and more importantly, for reducing bleeding after delivery), and the idea of using pain medications. Queen Victoria herself was a very early adopter by using chloroform for the birth of her last child, subsequently singing the praises and paving the way to modern pain management for labor.

alurid, Jwt708, old49er and 4 others like this.
  16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Nice to see another chip collector on board. :>)

Circus likes this.
  17. Circus

Here is another of his this in bronze alloy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz, Jwt708, old49er and 3 others like this.
  18. Circus

19. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I have a few military chips. I need to image them...

21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Just checked ANACS on my 1964-D O/S Morgan 64D Morgan a MS69.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted