Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is about the size of a large cent or two cent piece.
    2 cent bull and carriage.JPG
    They were in a small display. That I picked up yesterday.
    I wish they were my finds!

Attached Files:

old49er, Circus and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ah, well I liked the square odd denomination.

4. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Some of my summer pick-ups ... counterstamps ... pics attached, Bruce !!

L. BAKER - LARKIN BAKER, 1799-1832, WAS A WATCHMAKER, SILVERSMITH AND JEWELER. HE ADVERTISED AS SUCH IN AUBURN, NY IN 1826. PER THE ONLINE SILVERSMITH DIRECTORY, BAKER DIED IN DETROIT IN 1832. THIS C/S IS SIMILAR TO THAT OF HIS FATHER, THOMAS. BRUNK LISTS L. BAKER ON AN 1825 LARGE CENT, SO THIS MAY PLACE BAKER IN NY WHEN STAMPED. IT IS UNKNOWN IF THE BRUNK LISTED PIECE IS A HALLMARK.

Another piece I picked up was this unlisted J. KOLP c/s on a large cent, Note that the two stamps are slightly different. The Kolp name in early directories is exceedingly rare. The only listing found was in Cincinnati. Thus, I'm inclined to believe it was this likely father/son duo's doing ...

J. KOLP - JACOB & JOSEPH KOLP ARE SEPARATELY LISTED AS EDGE TOOL MANUFACTURERS IN THE 1850-51 CINCINNATI DIRECTORY. THE TWO C/S ARE SIMILAR BUT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SIZES. ONE JOSEPH KOLP IS LISTED AS AN EDGE TOOL MAKER IN THE 1836 CINCINNATI DIRECTORY, WORKING AT N 5th ST BY ELM AND PLUM. IN THE 1840 DIRECTORY, JACOB IS LISTED AS WORKING FOR JOSEPH ON MAIN ST. NEAR SYCAMORE. JOSEPH MAY HAVE BEEN JACOB'S FATHER.

Yet another unlisted silversmith is this A. MOULTON c/s on a 1794 large cent.

A. MOULTON - THIS IS A HALLMARK OF ABEL MOULTON, 1784-1850. HE BEGAN APPRENTICING IN 1797, AFTER WHICH HE WORKED ON HIS OWN. COMMENCING IN 1818, HE ENTERED INTO A SERIES OF PARTNERSHIPS, UNTIL HIS DEMISE IN 1850. HE WAS LOCATED IN NEWBURYPORT, MASS.

Last but not least is a c/s, H - I, on a 1787 Fugio Cent. This is the only c/s'd Fugio now in my collection. While the large c/s, possibly that of clockmakers, is not a slam-dunk attribution by any means, its style is definitely early. Here are my notes. (I use capital letters in my database as they're easier to read in small print)

H - I - POSSIBLY HEYDORN & IMLAY, HARTFORD CT. RICHARD IMLAY & C. HEYDORN WERE WATCH AND CLOCKMAKERS, PARTNERS BETWEEN 1809-11. THE HOST COIN IS A SCARCE VARIETY, 7-T, AN R-5.

Attached Files:

old49er, dwhiz, Diplodocus and 4 others like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Jackbits were sold starting in the early 1940's
    29mm brass union rev 2.JPG union obv 2.JPG

dwhiz, Circus, jello and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool scores! Hopefully @BRandM get's in here to check them out. I think my favorite is probably the Fugio.

7. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the acknowledgement, JWT708.

I'd long been looking for a counterstamped Fugio, now the only such one in my collection. I wanted to find one like this, having a logo advertising punch as opposed to a personal piece, comprised of individual letter punches. With the letters being rather large and of primitive design, I suspect that this was a pre-1850's stamping and likely a few decades earlier. This is a piece that may never be accurately attributed. I have a similar H-I c/s on an undated, Draped Bust large cent that may be related. The mysteries that these pieces carry with them are what ignite my interest and beg solutions .... Even more so than a crossword puzzle!

BRandM and Jwt708 like this.
  8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

32468659_800x600.jpg
    Picked this one up yesterday. Negotiated a fair price considering the coin is certified (PCGS MS62BN). I was delighted to find it was TrueView imaged when they certified it as I added it to my registry last night. Bonus!

old49er, UniqueDesigns, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I like this one much better than the first.

Circus likes this.
  10. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I finally get to see these very cool counterstamps. Love the fugio...very rare seeing counterstamps on them.

The "H-I" could be Heydorn & Imlay, but it's also possible the stamp reads "I-H" which opens a can of worms. As "I" was often used in place of "J" in these old counterstamps, as you know, it might indicate a "J-H" issuer. You're right though about it never being attributed. Great stamp that would find a good home in my collection.;)

Bruce

11. Fletcher

Fletcher Junior Member

Back when I was collecting medals, I found this leather puck, that feels like it is a couple hundred years old, that is the exact size and negative of the reverse of the medal Lt. Col. Howard (1752-1827) was awarded by Congress for his heroic actions during the Battle of Cowpens. I'm not sure if it might have been used used to polish the dies or maybe to store them, but I have never seen another one like it. If you have any ideas, please let me know!

SC228752.jpg

Paul M., longnine009, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

@Fletcher Do you think it polished the die, or was the "Puck" used as a seal? (Wax)?

13. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

I think that back then it might have been a test piece, wet leather that thick would give an almost perfect impression. There is no way that it could be used to polish the die and retain a near perfect impression. the reason so few remain is probably most after having been approved were discarded or used for something else. Leather is wet so it either can be stamped, impressed or tooled.

BRandM likes this.
  14. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Except that the puck is in reverse and so has been made from a finished medal impressed on it, not the original dies? IMHO.

MKent likes this.
  15. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You're right, Circus. I have a couple of leather tokens from the 1940s and they take and retain an impression very well.

Bruce

16. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

For anyone still interested in this I have managed to sort out the words over the Monkey's head. The transliteration is roughly: "Such Bolo Pura Tolo" and it means something like "Be honest, give true weight". So it seems to be encouraging traders to be honest in their dealings, which seems to confirm the Temple Token idea.

BRandM and longnine009 like this.
  17. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

A token I got. Dont know what it is. Both sides similar
    m.jpg

18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

India? or in the area?
    :)

19. Fletcher

Fletcher Junior Member

Here is a box of ceramic discs I bought a dozen years ago. I assume they were used by someone (the Chinese) to make counterfeits ... but who knows. Anyway, I haven't seen any others around the bourse as of yet. I've got about 100 in all ...

IMG_4367.JPG

20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I couldn't pass up this pair of ANA medals from the 1987 Convention in Atlanta. They came in a mint condition original box with blue velvet lining and the original box slip cover with a sticker indicating the serial number. The boxed serialized medals for this year are among the scarcer of the modern ANA medals with a mintage of only 200 pieces. The silver medal was only available in this box set, whereas the bronze medal was available as a badge (with mounting ring and ribbon; mintage 1,000) and as a 57 mm larger type (mintage 150).

This is a surprisingly hard set to find, and I looked a great while -- given the horses on the obverse I had to have them! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Makanudo's token is a Phaistos Disc.

:)

Makanudo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted