Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

Counterstamped 1875 Swedish five-ore piece, with a Copenhagen hotel advertising. Part of what I bought yesterday. The dealer explained to me that at the time, Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian currency were at par, and circulated through all three countries. When Danish firms started this fad of advertising on coins, they used Danish coins, but that was illegal, defacing the currency I imagine. There was no prohibition on defacing foreign coins, and so they used Swedish or Norwegian. Doubtless Swedish firms returned the favor. He had three, but this was the best.

IMG_3551.JPG IMG_3552.JPG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Jwt708, old49er, Diplodocus and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Sadly not! It is made of the usual lightweight white metal of the time - I heard it called "Mudi-metal" at one time?

4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Beautiful medal, yarm! I also collect exonumia that relates to coin and token collectors. Thay include personal pieces like yours, medals issued by coin clubs and organizations, dealer pieces, etc. It's an interesting sideline to my main interests of counterstamps and obsolete currency.

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. BRandM

Probably the same thing we call pot medal, Paddy. A combination of different medals, I suppose. Still a nice piece.

Bruce

PaddyB likes this.
  7. BRandM

That's a great counterstamp, Wehwalt. It's unlisted in Dr. Brunk's reference on worldwide counterstamps, but if you don't mind, i can report it to him so it will be listed in the newest edition due out soon.

In the first edition of his book he lists only a single issue from Sweden, but may have added some new ones by now. Very nice piece, Thanks for posting it.

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  8. BRandM

Sorry, Wehwalt, I wasn't paying attention. It's a Danish counterstamp on a Swedish coin. Sometimes I type faster than my brain works. My apologies.:oops:

I rechecked Brunk and he does list it. He notes only a single example on a Norwegian coin, but nearly 20 on Swedish coins, all on 5 Ore.

BTW, the English and French did the same thing by stamping each others coins, Almost all English counterstamps of the late 1800s appear on French, and occassionally on Italian coins. Likewise, French advertisers used English coins for advertising. An interesting fact.

Bruce

Diplodocus likes this.
  9. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

It sure makes life interesting for us collectors!

10. Circus

11. Circus

12. Circus

13. Circus

14. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

dwhiz, H8_modern, BRandM and 8 others like this.
  15. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Not sure if this counts... Saw this at the thrift shop and although i dont know the artist, i naturally had to have it. Turns out its some pretty sweet jazz!
    20160810_195945[1].jpg
    20160810_200018[1].jpg

old49er, Paul M., dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  16. Diplodocus

Diplodocus Active Member

From way back on page 59 -- What a great piece and history Bruce! I like that.

17. Circus

Well folks! that's all folks for this bulk buy. Have another album from part of a collection that I haven't photoed yet

18. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Here's a cool medal that came in today. You guys get to see it before I do my research.

Attached Files:

old49er, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Treasure Island transit/ toll token. Treasure Island is a barrier island in the gulf near St. Petersburg, Florida.

4 grams, 22mm M/A, white metal Atwood-Coffee FL930d 20160812_161514-1_2.jpg 20160812_162031-1.jpg

old49er, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  20. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

My newest Sample Slab. This puts me up to 44 PCGS cent sample slabs.

[​IMG]

old49er, Paddy54, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted