Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

You never fail to impress! That reverse!

Wehwalt likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

4. Circus

5. Circus

6. Circus

7. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Private token of Sir Henry Englefield, Berkshire, c1820. According to R.C.Bell, this thick farthing size token (20mm) was struck from a pellet rather than a flan to simulate an ancient coin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul M., MKent, BRandM and 8 others like this.
  8. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

Here's another piece I bought in Barcelona. It is a shooting award medal and a very nice design. The conventional naked youth getting an award from a goddess has a rifle in hand, and two more are shooting in the background (not naked). I was also interested that this French medal is from Oran, which is in Algeria, but for a while Algeria was considered part of France, not simply a colony. About 46mm. IMG_3453.JPG IMG_3454.JPG

Jwt708, jello, chrisild and 4 others like this.
  9. Circus

10. Circus

11. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Nice and unusual look to this one, yarm. The "roughness" of it is very appealing to me.

Bruce

MKent likes this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

@yarm It does have an ancient look to it!

13. Circus

14. Circus

15. Wehwalt

I got this in Livorno in Italy. The edge is shown so you can see the high relief. 70mm give or take a nickel. IMG_3473.JPG IMG_3474.JPG IMG_3475.JPG

16. BRandM

Man, that's a very impressive medal, Whewalt. Do you know why it was issued and the meaning of the dates 1870 / 1970? That is a good size if it can fit in a roll of tape.

Bruce

17. Wehwalt

Credito Italiano was an Italian bank founded in 1870, so this would have been the centennial. It's merged into UniCredit, according to Wikipedia. I'd be curious to know what you had to do to get one of these, if anyone could buy them or if they were for presentation to directors or such.

Paul M., BRandM and Jwt708 like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Wehwalt likes this.
  19. BRandM

Thanks for the history, Wehwalt. I would imagine these were sold in some capacity to at least reimburse them for the expense of producing the medal. By the quality look of it, I would think it was an costly proposition to have them struck.

Bruce

Wehwalt likes this.
  20. Wehwalt

I would think it was costly. It is very heavy. I do admire that the banker on the obverse has not put the bag of gold on the scales just yet, meaning they are tilted because of the weights on the other pan, which helps keep the design within the circle!

Also very heavy is this one FullSizeRender.jpg bought in Barcelona.
    Luís de Camões is basically Portugal's Shakespeare. This is a huge medal, about 80mm, and the point of his swimming on the medal is that the manuscript of Os Lusíadas, his most famous work, was saved when he was shipwrecked off the coast of Cambodia because he kept it out of the water. That is his tomb on the medal. The 400th anniversary of his death (1580 to 1980) Note that the square portion of the medal is meant to be a book, one side the outside, one side the inside (even with bookmark!)
    FullSizeRender.jpg

MKent, longnine009, Circus and 5 others like this.
  21. BRandM

I like this one even more so that the last. Absolutely outstanding workmanship.

Bruce

PaddyB and Wehwalt like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted