Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Although unlisted, these pieces have crossed hands. In fact, there are several for sale in the UK right now. The price I got was better than any I found.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

@PaddyB Sorry - I have nothing to offer, but I like the ship token a lot! Excellent additions and I hope you'll keep on posting non-US tokens!

4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

5. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Thanks for that - I certainly will try. It is getting late here in the UK now so I will return to this over the weekend.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Heh...you know I live in the UK? It is late...but I'm not working tomorrow so...
    [​IMG]

PaddyB, Circus, jello and 1 other person like this.
  7. Circus

How about a pair of ladies to get it started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two more silver rounds I picked up the other day.

jello and longnine009 like this.
  8. Diplodocus

Diplodocus Active Member

"J. KINGWELL" counterstamp on 1806-07 George III 1/2 penny. The stamp appears twice on the obverse and once on the reverse.

P1030726.JPG

P1030711.JPG

The Reverse of same coin:
    P1030716.JPG

P1030713.JPG

jello, BRandM, longnine009 and 3 others like this.
  9. PaddyB

Thanks @Jwt708 - I no longer work but I have a busy day today (Friday) - auctions to go to, stuff to sell, stuff to buy!

10. PaddyB

The great fun in buying job lots at local auctions in the UK is the range and age of paranumismatica you turn up. This handful was just kicking around on my desk waiting for me to do something with them, so I thought I would share them for your entertainment. (Top quality MS69 slabbed coins are all very well but I enjoy the real history of used coins and tokens much more.)
    UK Token group.jpg UK Token group a.jpg

The first two are 17th century farthing tokens from Bristol - difficult to ID from the pictures but they are among the commonest tokens from this era so you get used to them.

Top right is from Butlins - a big Holiday Camp organisation from the mid 20th century and still going today. (Butlins badges can be very collectable, but I am not sure tokens count quite so well, particularly when not linked to a specific camp.)

Bottom left is a Co-op token from the Royal Arsenal area of London, again mid 20th century. The Co-op started on the basis of the local population all being part owners and so getting dividends from the profits. Their tokens are collected quite well but the Royal Arsenal is one of the commonest.

The rest are 19th century gaming tokens in imitation of 18th century Guineas and fractions thereof. These are very common, and sadly once holed have little value. I regularly get people claiming to have a Guinea of fabulous value (they are 22 Carat gold) only to find it is another of these tokens and so only brass.

I hope that is interesting to you all.

jello, BRandM, longnine009 and 2 others like this.
  11. Circus

Great stuff keep it coming, I come across a lot of across the pond items. Mostly form the cleaning out of desk and drawers of the relatives that have died. The ones that traveled a lot seem to collect more of them.

12. Circus

Here are a couple that came in a batch trade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    French health water token
    [​IMG]
    Spanish astrologist
    All though not a token this also was in the lot, Borden's dairy second hundred years key tag or zipper pulls. I don't think they made it as the local Borden's Plant was sold years ago and the name changed.
    [​IMG]

jello, BRandM, Jwt708 and 1 other person like this.
  13. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Thanks for showing your tokens, Paddy. As you might gather I enjoy all types of exonumia, especially tokens and counterstamps. Interestingly, once a coin is stamped, it becomes a token and is no longer considered a coin, by collectors at least. Modern coins that still circulate of course still have face value, buy unofficially they're tokens.

The Butlins piece is intreresting to me. As far as the badges go; Are they issued as a membership to the camp...unlimited access, season pass, or for some other purpose? In the States, entertainment facilities like this always push that type of thing. Access for a certain period of time for X number of dollars. Good marketing, I suppose.

I like your gaming tokens also. I have a few in my collection, but I don't actively collect them. Would these be considered jetons, or is that a different thing all together?

By the way, Paddy, I agree with you about the MS-69 slabbed coins. I love "blue collar" coins and tokens. I have little interest in something that's spent it's life in someones dresser drawer. No fun there, I think.

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  14. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Hey Bruce, I've long taken issue with this blanket statement:

"Interestingly, once a coin is stamped, it becomes a token and is no longer considered a coin, by collectors at least."

A rose by any other name is still a rose, and IMHO, a counterstamped coin remains a coin. Did the counterstamped 1800's "coins" not circulate as specie payments for goods and services? Are you saying then that, once such a coin falls into a collector's hands, it's no longer a coin by virtue of who possesses it? Then, if a collector happens to somehow spend it, the counterstamped "token" does not magically turn back into a coin?

Sound far-fetched, does it? Think about all those current-day, circulating Lincoln Cents with the "fifty state" counterstamps. Those poor puppies must be experiencing some sort of identity crisis, eh what? One day, they're cents, the next, they're tokens.

Forgive me, Bruce ... I may have OD'd on Folgers this morning! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    BRandM likes this.
  15. PaddyB

So many topics of conversation from this reply!

On tokens/coins depending on counter stamps - I had never really given it much thought. I am not sure there should be a hard definition - as Exoman says you end up with items switching back and forth. I work on the basis that if it is coin shaped I am interested, regardless!

The Butlins badges were produced as souvenirs to be bought at the individual camps I believe. They quickly became a "badge of office" - a way of showing off how many camps you had been to and from there to being collectable. They are usuall enamelled metal pin badges showing the name of the camp and the year.

The gaming tokens are pretty common over here. Whether they are Jettons depends on your language I think - in the UK we use Jettons for the Medieval tokens supposedly used as tally counters in the markets but probably also used as small change. Most were made by Krauwinckel in Germany and they are a whole collectors area in their own right with lots of variations and style. They reached their peak in the 16th century I believe. An example from that time herewith.

We certainly agree on the sterility of "perfect" coins in their little plastic coffins!

Jetton.jpg

longnine009, BRandM, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  16. PaddyB

... Oh, and I forgot to mention: I saw a couple of countermarked British Pennies today. Both from the 1860s and fairly worn but with "Votes for Women" stamped boldly onto them. I have left a bid but I suspect the sufragette collectors will push them out of range.

BRandM and jello like this.
  17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

okay, makes sense now

18. PaddyB

I think I got carried away with all this paranumismatica! I saw these in a shop and bought them for a little over melt. I have looked them up since I got home and it seems I paid over the odds, but I still think they are beautiful!
    John Pinches Michelangelo 500 years series, 0.925 Silver hallmarked, issued in the 1970s - full set is 60 coins. These are numbers 7,8,14 and 15, each about 40gms and 45mm across.

Pinches Medals.jpg Pinches Medals a.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice!
    I have seen them before but where in a boxed set. But years ago I think there where 4 in set but may not be same set. It's been awhile since I seen this.
    :)

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ya, it happens! ;)

21. Circus

Found one today to match yours @ the LCS Some wholesaler must be lightening their inventory as he got a lot of older art bars and rounds in and I going to have to sell some more stuff as I'm going thru the stash ;)

longnine009 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted