Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

That seems to be the case with Civil War Tokens. The Fulds were paying 6cents each for the CWT's they were researching for their book.

There was so little interest in the 1955 DDO in the early years that Bowers and Ruddy were selling them for 25cents. :)

Jwt708 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's two more and they're both pretty awesome for various reasons:

TX481 Brooks Field.jpg
    TX481, brass, 28mm, unlisted. I love finding tokens that predate the Air Force, and this one does. I also love finding tokens that are unlisted. When I find them and catalog them, part of me feels like I just contributed to the numismatic community...even though I know I haven't because no one knows except me and those on CoinTalk who read my threads about them. Cunningham records a No. 100 token...can't remember if it's brass or aluminum and I don't feel like digging out my book right now. I was actually holding off on posting this one until I finished writing up this base but I just took it's picture and wanted to share it anyway. This is my favorite token today.

KR1420d Osan AB 5c.jpg
    KR1420d, aluminum, 30mm. Cunningham records the size as 28mm and this one is 30. It is possible my cheap $6 calipers are off. I've got a pretty big soft spot for bases I've been stationed at, with Osan being one of them. Osan is a great base and Korea is a magical place. One of my most favorite assignments - except for being away from my family for a year and the weather. It's too hot and humid in the summer and too cold in the winter. Fall lasts about three days and spring isn't long enough.

Paul M., dwhiz, jello and 2 others like this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Wow hard to believe it was ever a nickel.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's part of a group of military trade tokens @John Anthony was kind enough to pick up for me from Baltimore from Paul Cunningham.

IL250b Soldier's Home 10c.jpg IL250b, aluminum, 18mm

IL250c Soldier's Home 25c.jpg IL250c, aluminum, 24mm

IL250d Soldier's Home 50c.jpg
    IL250d, aluminum, 30mm

IL250e Soldier's Home $1.jpg
    IL250e, aluminum, 38mm

According to my research it was acalled Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, founded in 1886 as a retirement community for veterans. The name remained the same until 1973 when it was changed to Illinois Veterans Home at Quincy. It is still in operation with some 450 members. The Home is just like a little town with it's own post office, bank, assembly hall, guest house, mini post exchange, chapel, cemetery, lake, animal park, museum, several military-related historical sites, t.v. station, and publication.

Also, the ornaments are not described in Cunningham. Not sure if these are a variety or they were omitted.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Paul M., longnine009, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  7. longnine009

Nice looking tokens! I sure hope the Veterans Home can prevail against the financial problems Illinois is going through. :(

Jwt708 likes this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to whittle away at my book of tokens, taking pictures one page at a time. I managed to photo over 40 tokens today and now I begin the process of combining, cropping, and re-sizing them. So here are some I took today:

NE280e Offutt AFB $5.jpg
    NE280e, aluminum, 34mm. The dots under the zeros are not described in Cunningham, possible unlisted variety.

NV80c Stead AFB $1.jpg
    NV80c, aluminum, 35mm

NC70l Seymore Johnson AFB 5c.jpg
    NC70l, brass, 22mm, unlisted variety in hexagonal shape.

NM90a Cannon AFB 5c.jpg
    NM90a, aluminum, 20mm. Cannon AFB was my first duty station.

NM90c Cannon AFB 25c.jpg
    MN90c, aluminum, 27mm

NM190a Hachita 5c.jpg
    NM190a, brass, 20mm. I bought this one because I thought I was getting a rare token, see when Cunningham wrote his book he put a value of $100 on it and I got it for far less. Silly me did my research after I purchased, and it turns out a couple years after Cunningham published a hoard of these was found and introduced into the market.

MO50a Jefferson Barracks 5c.jpg
    MO50a, aluminum, 24mm. This token and the two below I wanted because I thought they looked cool with the legend both incuse and in relief. After doing my homework I found that Jefferson Barracks does have connections to the Air Force so it made me happier.

MO50b Jefferson Barracks 10c.jpg
    MO50b, brass, 29mm

MO50c Jefferson Barracks 25c.jpg
    MO50c, brass, 26mm

MS60a Keesler AFB 5c.jpg
    MS60a, aluminum, 22mm. I may reshoot this one - it looks too dark.

Think that's about it for me tonight. I have to work tomorrow and it's getting to late to mess with these anymore. I hope you all enjoyed some of these tokens.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Paul M., longnine009, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  9. longnine009

Here's a token I recently got off ebay. Phu Lam was on the outskirts of Saigon and home to USASTRATCOM or U.S Army Strategic Communications Command. In the early days, satellite communications was still in a trial/experimental stage. Alot of message traffic was sent by underwater cable and Tropo-Scatter. Tropo-scatter was bouncing microwave signals off the troposphere down to a receiving station. By 1967 USASTRATCOM was directing a record 1,250,000 messages a month.

Not too bad from what began as a one man show monitoring HF traffic in Phu Lam in 1951.

Phu Lam (Saigon) Mess, 5c, brass, C/A, 21.5mm, 4.4 grams VN3720a, same both sides.

Sorry about the crappy image. I should have taken the pic before putting it in the flip...duh.

20160423_153327-1.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Paul M., dwhiz, Circus and 2 others like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Yes! Great token! You know I'm into it.

longnine009 likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I had to work all weekend and haven't had time for much else. Here are some more photos from the other night.

Please let me know if any appear too dark. I think a couple above may need to be reshot but it's hard to tell because they don't look so dark on my laptop.

TX2500b Wolters AFB 10c.jpg
    TX2500b, aluminum, 26mm. Wolters AFB was only in the Air Force from 1950-1956 where they trained civil engineers. In 1956 the base was turned over to the Army and the 49th Armored Division moved in. These tokens were countermarked with a 49 and a X.

TN30a Joelton AFS 5c.jpg
    TN30a, bi-metalic, 22mm. This is a reshoot, last one the reverse was blurry. Unlisted. Joelton Air Force Station (AFS) was a radar site that provided coverage for the Nashville, Tennessee area. It's purpose in life was to monitor the airspace and should unfriendly aircraft approach it was to guide interceptor aircraft to the location of the enemy. It became operational 1 October 1956 at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base with the creation of the 799th Aircraft Control and Warning Station. Joelton was closed 1 June 1961 due to budgetary constraints.

TX1820a Lackland AFB 5c.jpg
    TX1820a, brass, 22mm

WA80 Fairchild AFB 30c.jpg
    WA80, brass, 28mm. Nothing like those odd denominations!

Paul M., longnine009, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's a couple four more. Starting to get pretty close to bed time.

OH150a Wright-Patterson AFB 5c.jpg
    OH150a, brass, 22mm, 1,000 were ordered January 1969. There are varieties of this one and I believe it to be the small letters variety. This makes more sense when you see the two varieties of the 25 cent tokens below.

OH150e Wright-Patterson AFB 5c.jpg
    OH150e, aluminum, 22mm, 200 were ordered Feburary 1969. I believe this is the small letters variety, see tokens below.

OH150f Wright-Patterson AFB 25c.jpg
    OH150f, aluminum, 29mm, 800 were ordered October 1969. Large letter variety.

OH150h Wright-Patterson AFB 25c.jpg
    OH150h, aluminum, 29mm. Small letter variety.

Paul M., longnine009, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I picked this piece up at the mint web site after reading an article about it in one of the numismatic websites. I immediately fell in love with the design and the story behind the issuance of this medal. It's a big one.......76 mm. @paddyman98, you're gonna love this one brother.......:)

DSC_2025-horz.jpg

"The 65th Infantry Regiment “Borinqueneers” three–inch medal is a bronze duplicate of the Congressional Gold Medal awarded collectively to the 65th Infantry Regiment, known as the Borinqueneers, in recognition of its members’ pioneering military service, devotion to duty, and many acts of valor in the face of adversity.

Composed primarily of Hispanic soldiers, the U.S. Army 65th Infantry Regiment was the last segregated unit of the U.S. military. Though restricted to noncombat roles during World War I, the regiment served heroically on the battlefields of World War II and Korea. As the regiment sailed to Asia in September 1950, members of the unit informally decided to call themselves the “Borinqueneers,” a term derived from the Taίno word for Puerto Rico meaning “land of the brave lord.” The regiment participated in some of the fiercest battles from 1950 to 1952, earning the admiration of many, and dispelling negative stereotypes and reservations about its fighting experience. By 1953, the regiment was fully integrated.

In April 1956, as part of the reduction in forces following the Korean War, the regiment was officially deactivated. In all, approximately 61,000 Puerto Ricans served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, the majority were part of the 65th Infantry Regiment.

The obverse design depicts a portrait of a fictional Borinqueneer. The soldiers in the background are in an inverted “V” formation, taking the high ground with fixed bayonets during an assault on the enemy during the Korean War. The inscriptions are “65th INFANTRY REGIMENT” and “BORINQUENEERS.” The Crossed Rifles insignia appears at the bottom of the design.

The reverse design depicts the Castillo de San Felipe del Morro of San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is a 16th-century citadel, a central symbol of Puerto Rico and the preferred military command ceremonial parade site of the 65th Infantry Regiment. The inscriptions are “HONOR ET FIDELITAS,” “1899–1956,” “WORLD WAR I,” “WORLD WAR II,” “KOREAN WAR,” and “ACT OF CONGRESS 2014.”"

[From the Mint website]

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

green18 likes this.
  15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really nice! I do love it. I'm looking for old pictures of myself as a kid visiting the old fort of El Morro but can't find any. I asked my mom who by the way was in the military herself in the 1950's when she still lived in Puerto Rico :wideyed:

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There's history there Paddy........I'll bet Mom remembers a few things. Oral history is fun. I remember my grandfather telling me stories of his experiences.

paddyman98 and jello like this.
  17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I was watching an eBay auction last night for an Army Air Force era token...I considered bidding...it ended up going for $331! It would have been a cool token, and it's probably rare. Oh well. I hope someone is happy.

Out of the last batch of my photos, I didn't like several of them. They look too dark. Think I'll reshoot the Wrigh-Patterson brass token. I think the aluminum ones came out ok. Anyway, any feedback is appreciated and I'll probably be taking some more photos tonight. I have so many to go! Heck, I haven't even finished the binder yet.

Here's the last two:

TX2110i Randolph AFB 50c.jpg
    TX2110i, aluminum, 32mm

UT160 Hill AFB $1.jpg
    UT160, aluminum, 32mm, 1,000 ordered in April 1971 with at least two orders placed earlier. This token is not described as having an ornament in the reference. Possible variety.

Paul M., longnine009, Circus and 3 others like this.
  18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@green18
    Here are the pictures. I was very young when I visited El Morro Fort. I'm the dweeb with the glasses. Big cannons that I will never forget!
    20160425_212540.jpg 20160425_213105.jpg 20160425_213116.jpg

Paddy54, longnine009, green18 and 3 others like this.
  19. longnine009

I remember that Fort. We drank a bottle a 151 in there. Oh man, those were the days. San Juan rocked!

paddyman98 and Jwt708 like this.
  20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Ya San Juan is a very nice time!
    :)
    151 well it's to Fun after about 8 :)

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted