Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1 oz Silver Round - Hobo Nickel Replica (The Fisherman).jpg
    Sellers photo

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    rooman9, Cascade, longnine009 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

dwhiz likes this.
  4. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

Here are a pair from an interesting combination of card room and labor agency.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jwt708, jello, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Since spring training camp open next week. _20160205_111709.JPG

sgt23, dwhiz, Circus and 1 other person like this.
  6. Circus

7. Circus

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I'm going to end up with a book full of virtually worthless tokens but they can be interesting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz, jello, Circus and 2 others like this.
  9. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Question for those who collect these.

Are these more desirable blank or engraved with the person's information on them?
    101st - 1.jpg

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Depends on name also issue date I'm told. But not a Expert!!!
    :cigar:

jester3681 likes this.
  11. Circus

What jello said! If you either know the name from history, or they have a connection to you but I prefer them blank. Plus since it looks to be a challenge coin wanabe. They didn't really do challenge coins till long after Korea was over and since this refers to The Big one, it appears to be a medal of the battle aftermarket as they say.
    Look up the Challenge coin thread a post on the free PDF on them it is a very interesting read.

jello and Jwt708 like this.
  12. Circus

Here are 3 that you never know what you find.
    I was told that these 3 following were from a country in Africa. Since I have even less interest in collecting foreign coins, then I do US coins. I never bothered to pick one up and look at one.
    At the end of the time sorting in the bin I picked one up and looked at one and read the inscription. It said Mardi Gras so I fished the other two out and added them to the pile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice heavy bronze alloy, from the 60's The help asked if I was branching out into world coins?

dwhiz, jello and longnine009 like this.
  13. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

This was given to men of the 101st as they were leaving Viet Nam when their year was up. This one was given to me the first week of March 1968.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    dwhiz, jello, Circus and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I thought you had one of the originals @ron_c I think it would be more valuable if it had been engraved when it was issued - much like coins ffrom the Civil War era that were used as dogtags. And what would increase the value more would be if the information could be authenticated. However, this value probably lies farther down the road for all but the dedicated. I personally would be more interested in an actual Vietnam-era challenge coin that was engraved when presented. This is all my opinion. I do not know the challenge coin "market" only what I've seen on eBay. I suspect most challenge coins are sold to members of whatever organization issued them who lost theirs or never got one and decided they would like one or someone who think it's cool looking.

longnine009, ron_c and Circus like this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

16. Circus

17. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I had this token ever since I was a kid but dont remember where I got it. I use to get a kick out of showing this to people and I showed a Vietnam vet it one time and he got a chuckle out of it because he said he carried one just like it in Vietnam. Anyone have a clue who makes this particular one because I cant find it looking on google. It's edited due to nudity heads1.jpg heads2.jpg heads3.jpg heads4.jpg

18. Circus

Brass tool check, Rome brass works, Rome New York
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    copy of Hawaii penny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz and jello like this.
  19. Circus

They are very common, And there are a number of styles both of men and women.
    Along with animals, and advertising flippers. they come with and without advertising. They have moved into the adult arena.
    Along with the proliferation of adult arcades, peepshows, live shows there are a lot of them out there. The idea of the nude heads and tails on the adult arcade tokens was to encourage the keeping of a few and passing them out to other less adventurous men and boys. Or so I learned back in my days of installing alarms on the peep and live show coin boxes in the 70's. The newer theme among adult arcade tokens are the nude couples for astrological signs engaged in well I will leave it to your imagination. Again with the intention that people keep some and pass them out to their friends.
    As a side note the use of tokens now a days in other than the smallest or older adult arcade shows has been replaced by dollar bill coin-ops. They no longer bump up the prices by quarters, but dollars. Or so I have been told by people that know these things.:wideyed::eek:

eric6794 and longnine009 like this.
  20. Circus

Here is a sampling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eric6794, dwhiz, jello and 1 other person like this.
  21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Luck 13 I love it. :)

jello likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted