Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

Gaming pogs? I have few thousands of those going back to about 1993/94. I use play when I was a kid.

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Exonumia in the general sense of the word, an example of Harrison's Sovereign Balance in original box from the mid 19th C, every shopkeeper would have had one of these, or similar, to check diameter, thickness and weight of the gold sovereigns and half sovs that they took over the counter.

I suppose US shopkeepers must have had something similar but I have never seen or heard of one.

1-P1040340.JPG

Jwt708, dwhiz, longnine009 and 3 others like this.
  5. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

A couple of the numerous medals/pins that were included in the bulk penny swap
    [​IMG]
    German shooting medal
    [​IMG]
    interesting way of checking to see if it was solid or plated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one from the post office, still in the package

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I guess you know that your balance has been cleaned. I would still take it off your hands. ;)
    Great piece.

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd say it is the original gilt finish. The underside is just brass with a little of the gilding coming over the edges.

8. Circus

[​IMG]
    pewter pin or belt buckle what ever was on the back as an attachment was removed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Popular necklace medal, I have seen this one often. Can't remember what it says.

Jwt708, jello, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

longnine009 likes this.
  11. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    interesting guest pass with serial number
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Circus

Here is another magicians coin
    [​IMG]
    same both sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An aluminum wooden nickle play money.

jello, Jwt708 and longnine009 like this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well I've photographed all my trade tokens...oops...got one today with no image to share...

Anyway, I'm not that happy with every photo. In the end, these tokens warrant - to me - a nice photo. So, I'll come back to them and reshoot later, removed from their holder. Here are a few...

[​IMG]
    This one is the most interesting of all I'm going to toss out tonight. It deserves more that what it's going to get tonight. But rest assured, the Cunningham number OH100a is correct.

[​IMG]
    Another interesting, and old token. This from Lowery and the above from Patterson predate the Air Force.

[​IMG]
    Here's one from Vandenberg AFB. Today it's part of Air Force Space Command. They launch missiles, satellites, and other space stuff. I like the "crust" on this token.

Just wanted to toss up a couple ;)

jello, Circus and longnine009 like this.
  14. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I won a token for Nha Trang Air Base last night. I'll post it whenever it get's here. I had a bid in for a 14th Combat Engineers token but a sniper got me.
    :(

jello likes this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Dang snipers!

Would love to see it.

I hate to admit it, but the Vietnam War is something I haven't explored properly (I know...I know!).

I think it was @BRandM that pointed me to Ray Bow's book, which is absolutely fascinating.

For those cinematically inclined, there's a special, "Vietnam in HD" by the History Channel that's very interesting. It's footage that's been cobbled together in an attempt to make a coherent narrative. I like it but it is just what I said. The viewer also gets to hear first hand accounts from servicemen and reporters involved in the conflict.

I've neglected collecting Vietnam tokens and I think my collection suffers for it. I would have been all over the Nha Trang AB token...but I've been caught up in ancients and my usual tokens.

Circus and longnine009 like this.
  16. Circus

17. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

SGT23>> I was inrefernce to the AAFES Pogs that are a form of MPC's being used by our military over in areas like Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan...

Attached Files:

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Was watching "Vietnam in HD" last night. Got to an episode where the vets were talking about when they came home. Sad stuff. Even worse was the vets talking about how they felt and how the people made them feel.

I don't get it...I could have sworn I photographed all my tokens but my Vietnam ones are not imaged! :mad: It will give me something to do next week maybe...going in for surgery so I might not get to it.

Here's one. The below poker chip is believed to come from Charleston AFB, South Carolina. It is unlisted in Cunningham and the man I purchased it from said that's where it's from. While I have no reason to doubt him, I am not 100% convinced that's where it came from, but I have no other suggestions. If someone else does...or knows a good resource, please fill me in.

[​IMG]

longnine009 and Circus like this.
  19. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

I have of those, but it was given to me by a friend.

20. Wehwalt

Wehwalt Well-Known Member

Yes there is. A few years ago (2005?) I bought one at a flea market and put it on eBay. It sold in the hundreds of dollars. Best I've ever done on eBay.

Circus's Hebrew medal says "Chai", that is, "Life", as in L'chaiim means "to life" and is a common toast. There's all sorts of numerological significance to the word Chai, which is also the number 18, and I won't bore you with the rest.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  21. Circus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the Hardee's free token for burgers to go with the one for fries I posted earlier! Are there still Hardee's in other parts of the country? They all closed around here years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

longnine009, sgt23 and green18 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted