Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Several medals were produced to commemorate George IV's visit to Ireland in 1821. This one is British Historical Medal #1117 in gilt silver with a matte finish except for the leaves and flowers on the reverse which are brilliant.

[​IMG]

I've yet to figure out how to eliminate the glare from the glass lenses which encase it. :arghh:

rzage, gronnh20, Jwt708 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sure does!

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Been a little slow here...

I just got in another lot of tokens, but the below isn't one of them. @saltysam-1 you might like this poker chip...

[​IMG]

saltysam-1, gronnh20, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Rome Iron Works tool check

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Went through and photographed all my challenge coins and the other exonumia that I store with them. Since I don't consider this a challenge coin, it's going in here...

[​IMG]

These are key chains that were given at the conclusion of a DUI briefing and were required to be worn with your keys. The upper one was the one I wore and the bottom two were unused ones that I found and kept.

gronnh20, Circus, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

A medallion from Bitburg Air Base. No idea what it used for.

[​IMG]

gronnh20, Circus, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It comes in silver and bronze. Both of mine are graded by NGC, but I only have photos of the silver before it was graded. I don't have the packaging like @Paddy54

Chris

1960 USS Enterprise OBV.JPG

1960 USS Enterprise REV.JPG

63.5mm
    Enterprise vs. Morgan.JPG

rzage, gronnh20, longnine009 and 4 others like this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

dwhiz and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Just curious, what did it grade?

Also, from my very minor amount of research into this medal, it appears there may have been a variety of packaging it was issues in. @Paddy54 feel free to chime in.

I love this medal. I take it you have both the silver and bronze?

jello likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

I guess so! It's just about 5-7/8" x 7-5/8" x 5/8"

My silver is MS66, NGC Cert #4179378-004 and my bronze is MS67 NGC Cert #4179378-001.

As for the packaging, I think you're right. I came across the silver specimen in 2004 on eBay, but it didn't have any packaging. I found the bronze specimen about 5-6 years later, and it was in a small box with a folded paper describing the medal.

Chris

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I saw the one in the box. I think these were minted by the Medallic Art Co. but I don't know.

Paddy54 and jello like this.
  13. cpm9ball

That is correct! MACO struck the silver in .999+, and it is numbered. Mine is #1026.

Chris

Paddy54 and Jwt708 like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's cool but where are the numbers? On the side?

15. cpm9ball

If you go to the NGC photo on the Cert Look-up, you will see a semi-circular cut-out at the top of the medal. It is numbered on the edge so you can see it in-hand.

Chris

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That was nice of them...going to check it out now.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Never seen that before!

18. cpm9ball

They did the same thing on two of my other MACO silver medals. I have a pair of silver and bronze, also 63.5mm, for the 1960 350th Anniversary of Santa Fe. Both are graded NGC MS67, Cert. #4179378-002 (Bronze) and #4179378-003 (Silver). I also have a 1965 Wyoming 75th Anniversary 44.5mm Silver in NGC MS64, Cert #3764472-002.

Chris

(Same size as USS Enterprise)
    1960 Santa Fe 350th OBV.JPG

1960 Santa Fe 350th REV.JPG

Jwt708, gronnh20 and longnine009 like this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The reason why is the the one I have was given out the day of the Christening by the navy. I'm not sure whom struck them as mine is sealed in the US Navy trident package.
    MACO did some also not sure what diameter they struck and if the us mint also struck these medals.
    But I got mine from a cpo who was at the Christening in 1960.

jello likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

In 1960, the Medallic Art Co. of NY was the oldest and foremost private mint in the country. It is more than likely that all of the Enterprise medals were struck by MACO, and if you could look on the edge next to the purity, you'd probably see MACO impressed on the edge.

Chris

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You're most probably correct...as this one is half dollar size so what 30 mm ,but mine in in like a peen ed cardboard cover in an envelope . It's I'm guessing glued in the holder. I know MACO did these medals I don't know if it was after market and whom did the ones the navy handed out. I also know yes MACO does number its medals on the rim. I had a few in my day and yes each was numbered.
    I don't want to try and remove the medal as it may mess up the holder. They are nice strike high relief . I'm guessing mine is bronze as it looks more bronze than copper.

Draft saved Draft deleted