Let's see your exonumia!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ver nice, very small production

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I don't have it in hand yet

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I've had this counterstamped tool check for about 15 years, but never thought to post it. It has extra meaning because it's local for me.

The New York Shipbuilding Corp. (N.Y. Ship) in Camden, NJ was founded in 1899 by an engineer named Henry G. Morse. Originally he had planned on building a shipyard on a parcel of land on Staten Island, NY thus the name New York Shipbuilding Corp. However, when a deal for land fell through there he built his yard on the Delaware River in Camden (Across from the city of Philadelphia).

Over the years they constructed hundreds of ships, mostly warships for the U.S. Navy, but also luxury liners, barges, tugs, tenders, etc. During WWII they were the most active shipyard in the world. In the post-war years as naval contracts waned, they fell into financial distress. They finally went bankrupt in 1968 and closed the yard shortly after.

On a personal note, I had an uncle who worked at N.Y. Ship during the war in lieu of military service. He didn't speak much of his time there, but I know he was immensely proud of their contribution to the war effort. It's at this spot on the Camden waterfront that the WWII battleship New Jersey is berthed today, now serving as a floating museum and memorial. This piece represents a very important piece of American history.

Bruce NY Ship 1.JPG

longnine009, Jwt708, gronnh20 and 4 others like this.
  5. dwhiz

Look like a Zincoln here's a photo of the reverse zincoln.jpg

6. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

7. dwhiz

0509151943.jpg 0512151712.jpg 002a-horz.jpg

Attached Files:

8. BRandM

dwhiz likes this.
  9. dwhiz

I enjoy going there also to the Trenton Thunder, Lakewood Blueclaws, Wilmington BlueRocks, and the Reading Phillies. When I'm traveling I always check to see if their is a ball park near by...by the way the Phillies won tonight great ending

10. dwhiz

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

sgt23 and dwhiz like this.
  12. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Couple from my last show a couple weeks ago. Somewhere I have a silver/white metal 6d token to go with the brass 1/2d.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jwt708, dwhiz, longnine009 and 2 others like this.
  13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Is 1/2 MK. half gallon of milk? I see a really nice die crack on it too running from 12 to 8:00 O'clock. :)

dwhiz likes this.
  14. BRandM

Ah, the good old BF Bridge, dwhiz. Been over it more times than I can count. I "contributed" a lot of toll money to that one.

Bruce

dwhiz likes this.
  15. dwhiz

Me too LOL

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Boom! A military trade token - Cunningham lists this one as GR1980 under Germany Unassigned. Difficult to tell where it was used in Germany, other than some Army Post Exchange (PX). Cunningham gave it a value of $3.00 and I generally assume the cheaper tokens are more available, but that is not always true! Glad to see someone else post one.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Circus and longnine009 like this.
  17. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I liked that it was in English but valued in marks. I probably overpaid but I know the dealer who is German and been dealing for a long time and he said he'd never seen one. The bottom line though is that I like it.

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Eh, you probably paid a fair price. In my time I don't think I've seen one. Like any value guide...well you know...and it was written in 1995.

19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a couple more I picked up. $_ghghgh57.JPG $_opopop57.JPG $1818token_57.JPG $_1818 Reverse57.JPG

Circus, dwhiz, mackwork and 1 other person like this.
  20. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

21. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

stunning.

Draft saved Draft deleted