Let's see your custom coin storage cabinet or chest

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Do you store your collection in a special custom cabinet or chest?
    Let's see some special displays cases or coin storage. Here's one of mine. It holds 30 silver dollar airtight holders, and has two drawers felt lined for slabs or what ever. See below 20160821_074515.jpg 20160821_074527.jpg 20160821_074616.jpg 20160821_074658.jpg 20160821_074734.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty box. Love the grain. What type of wood?

4. Paddy54

American black walnut. :)

spirityoda likes this.
  5. jrw711

jrw711 Member

Very nice quality. Did you make it or had it made?

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Love the walnut cases.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't have one, but I look forward to seeing everyone's cases.

I really want to put some museum-style lighted glass top cases in my loft area, right outside my library.

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Your box is elegant and functional. If you made it, my hat is off to you. To answer your question, no I don't have a cabinet or chest for coins, but I have thought about it.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. Paddy54

No had it made. The guy did a great job even though it took awhile to receive it. As you can see well worth the wait.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that wood is gorgeous. how much money to make that case ?

11. Paddy54

I believe I paid close to $100. The craftsman had several cases he made. You could get them to hold any size air tight or to hold 8 slabs either PCGS or NGC slabs.
    I wanted one for my Franklin collection but never had it made. I'm trying to find his contact information . But I do love this case it's well constructed .

12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That's not bad! I'd be a little concerned about any glues used to attach the felt, and I'd probably want one done in mahogany, but I love your cabinet and the price you paid. :)

13. Paddy54

No the guy was well aware of chemical reactions with coins. He was very selective one the materials he used. I must say he's done his homework as nothing has toned in the box.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Paddy54

20160821_151122.jpg The drawers come out like a tray 20160821_151301.jpg

spirityoda and dlhill132 like this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Makes me want something like that for my ancients.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. AcesKings

AcesKings Well-Known Member

Very nice Paddy!!! Mine's not custom, just an old Machinist's chest I've been using since the late 80's.........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jj00, Burnside_Q, Diplodocus and 5 others like this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The wood cases are pretty to look at and they make nice displays, but they are not good for the coins !

18. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Off-gassing?

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, collectors in general didn't just happen to stop using coin cabinets, they did so because they finally realized how harmful they are to the coins.

20. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@Paddy54 is there a chance you can find out from the craftsman what kind of glue and finishes he had decided to use and where he went to for that information?
    Thanks,
    Steve

spirityoda likes this.
  21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for posting the really nice cabinet Paddy54.:) I've got some inexpensive wooded boxes from Lighthouse. I'll look for a photo. In the mean time wanna see a really big cabinet (vault)? :wideyed:

Bode Cabinets.jpg

Earlier this year I visited the Bode museum in Berlin. These cabinets are full of numismatic goodies.

I like the really old stuff which is already posted in the ancient forum. Here is a modern gold coin on display at the Bode:
    276.JPG

jj00, Burnside_Q, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted