Let's see your Conder Tokens

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moonshadow, May 12, 2010.

1. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Here is a recent acquisition/

Attached Files:

britannia40 and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice grade of token.
    [​IMG]

4. Black Friar

5. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Here is one I just got.
    1795 Somerset Bath House
    1795b.jpg 1795b1.jpg

chrsmat71, Siberian Man and jello like this.
  6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

7. Black Friar

A most excellent token. My wife and I visited Bath in 2000. Great place. She restrained me from taking a dip. Seriously, I do wonder what the water looked like when it was new.

Cheers,

britannia40 likes this.
  8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

After much patience, I found a nice example of the Oxfordshire DH-1 Halfpenny token for my collection. I admire the die work on the obverse detail, and I'm fond of the lovely sun shield on the reverse. :cool: Despite what the NGC label says, this is a halfpenny size token, not a penny size token. The diesinker was Arnold, and the manufacturer was Lutwyche. This is a very common token, and the edge reads PAYABLE AT BANBURY OXFORD OR READING.

c. 1795 (undated) Oxfordshire halfpenny token, NGC MS64BN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very nice grade!
    :)

rzage likes this.
  10. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

the same as now,the water you see fell on the mendip hills ten thousand years ago and has taken that time to reach bath,a very interesting city,with good coin shops.glad you enjoyed your visit

11. yarm

yarm Junior Member

I found the inscription under the hospital interesting.

[​IMG]

12. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

I found this thread with such optimism of seeing some Durham conders but only seen the one from @yarm :(

I sold a lot of my conders off too fund my main collection. I'm sure a lot of people know or can guess what that is from what I've posted in the past. But I retained some of my better ones to be used to swap possibly for more Durham types I only have the South Shields 1794 issue IIRC D&H4

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have x4 of these another without the die cracks around VF this one is my best but I'm always open to upgrading too :)

Will picture my others for this thread that are available for Durham issues.

chrsmat71 and jello like this.
  13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Some real beauties guys , keep em coming .

14. mark240590

Sorry for the poor photos of some I've heat sealed them into Mylar saflips for keeping.

Every single coin pictured here is up for trade for Durham conders.

Some I would be hesitant to get rid of because I really like them but at the end of the day as far as conders go I only want my home county.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

chrsmat71, jello and PaddyB like this.
  15. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I would happily be trading with you if I had any Durham tokens! Sadly not a single one, even though I was at University there in the 1980s.

mark240590 and jello like this.
  16. mark240590

Lovely place isn't it ? I quite like where I'm from even though I would emigrate somewhere warmer in a heartbeat.

17. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Yes - very beautiful. I was fortunate enough to be at University College, which is housed largely in the Castle and known to everyone else as Castle College. As a result I lived my second year actually inside the oldest part of the castle at the top of the Black Stairs. Happy days!

jello likes this.
  18. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Re:Conder tokens from County Durham

Other than DH 4,5,6 and 7, tokens from Durham are pretty hard to come by. Middlesex 123 is a scarce penny token which depicts Bernard's Castle in Durham.

There are a few 19th century tokens from Durham listed in Withers that can regularly be found. Here's a sample from ABC coins.

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/DH.19C.Durham.html

19. mark240590

I know him well he belongs near me..

That Bernard's castle is actually spelt wrong it's called Barnard Castle. I know they're scarce but I did think there would more of them in this thread though.

20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

here's one i picked up recently, edge says "payalbe in london bristol lanchaster"

[​IMG]

rzage, saltysam-1 and jello like this.
  21. farthing

farthing Junior Member

My win in this weeks Baldwin's sale - not one you will see often - if at all. It was not cheap!

[​IMG]

PaddyB, jello and chrsmat71 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted