Let's see your Conder Tokens

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moonshadow, May 12, 2010.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

That's one sexy lion!

I love my Yarm Purchases too btw.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

1796 Conder Token • Middlesex DH-1041e

Here's a new acquisition.

Grade: MS-63 RB

Edge:
    Milled \\\\\\\\\\\\

Rated: Common

[​IMG]

4. Larry Moran

1795 Middlesex DH-904, Stinton's Tea and Cocao Warehouse

Wm. Stinton, London, Halfpenny

Grade: Choice Uncirculated

Edge: Italian, French and Portugal Fruit Warehouse +

Rated: Common

[​IMG]

5. Larry Moran

Yarm...

I really like your Yorkshire 28a. A beautiful MS example.

6. yarm

yarm Junior Member

As our political scene heats up, I thought a Spence token lampooning the politicians of the day would be appropriate-George III conjoined with an ass on one side and political opponents Fox and Pitt on the other.

[​IMG]

chrsmat71, Dr.Jones, farthing and 2 others like this.
  7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

@yarm
    Nice token and engraved very well for times.

8. coinsarefun

coinsarefun Junior Member

9. Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones Well-Known Member

uploadfromtaptalk1439951651446.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1439951671231.jpg

Sadly I'm selling this coin right now, along with a lot of others. (1794 Half Penny Suffolk Ipswich D&H-35) But, it's one of the nicest examples of James Conder's own tokens I've ever owned or seen. Going to miss it!

jello and chrsmat71 like this.
  10. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Just out of curiosity, are there any major error conder tokens? Like double struck, off center, etc...

11. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I've seen lots of Die Cracks and Cuds but can't think of any errors.

12. Larry Moran

There are many errors among Conders, if you count misspellings, reversed letters, strikes on undersized or oversized planchets, planchet flaws, cuds, die cracks, planchet flaws, off center strikes, odd mulings, double strikes or overstrikes (over other tokens or coins).

Many Conders have dentils missing in one area or another, dates repunched or hanging off one edge. Then there are edge flaws and varieties, some which have not been specifically catalogued. Flans were often manufactured in a different place from actual striking of its faces.

Until Conders were struck using steam power at Boulton and Watt's Soho Mint, all Conders were struck with screw presses making errors even more common. Slippage of one die or the other was common.

Evan8 likes this.
  13. Evan8

Thank you. The reason i ask was because i have been looking to get my first conder token and havent seen one i really wanted until now. Actually i bought it over the weekend but i havent gotten it yet. It has been graded by ngc at vf25. Its also struck 30% off center and i havent seen anything similar. I love error coins and thought this was perfect for my collection. I will post pics when i get it later this week.

14. Larry Moran

Great, Evan. Welcome to the Conder Token collecting community.

I am deeply interested in that period of British history, all started by my deep interest in British Conder Tokens, and why they are so important, and why they have appreciated 500-1,000% or more in the past 15 years, almost regardless of grade.

I have long believed that the success of the First Industrial Revolution depended on four major influences:

• improvement in casting iron and steel, and engineering of resultant products

• the steam engine (used for evacuating water from tin and coal mines, later for steamships and railroad locomotives)

• British Conder Tokens (primarily from 1787-1797 during shortage of regal small change, which greatly facilitated increased trade and movement of workers from farms to towns. It was not feasible to pay factory workers and miners with chickens and goats anymore, as had been customary with farm workers.)

The success of Conder Tokens relied on their being struck in pure copper, the world's finest copper, which came from Cornwall in England, and Parys Mountain on Anglesey Island in North Wales.

• rivers and canals (I believe that steam engines and pumps were also used to keep many canals full during summer months, in addition to powering machinery associated with handling small barges and loads at terminals.)

These four influences share much of the responsibility for the overwhelming success of the Industrial Revolution.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    AuldFartte and Evan8 like this.
  15. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

Thomas paine with an E was an english American political activist who moved to france when things got a bit hot for him in England,he supported the French revolution.benjamin franklin helped him get to new England and inspired rebels to declare independence from Britain.died in new York where he was unpopular for his ridicule of christianity

16. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Picked this one up about a month ago.

[​IMG]

I really like the detailed engraving work that went into this token:

[​IMG]

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Awesome piece Brandon. :)

18. Evan8

Just got it in the mail. My first conder token:

Off center cinder token.jpg
    2015-08-28-19-30-21.jpg

jello, brg5658 and chrsmat71 like this.
  19. coinsarefun

1796 Hereforeshire DH-4 1P MS64RB
    Actually has a hint of nice toning, but doesn't show up.

[​IMG]

Wales Carmarthen halfpenny DH-7

One of the most detailed in the entire series.Raw

[​IMG]

20. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

this is my first and only one. i just got back from grading.

20150911_153819.jpg 20150911_153825.jpg 80151095_large.jpg

jello and chrsmat71 like this.
  21. coinsarefun

The last image I accidentally switched the obverse and reverse.....too lazy now and will switch it later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gerrikabeitia, chrsmat71 and jello like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted