Lets see your cleaned gems!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GSDykes, Jun 5, 2015.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I was asked to re-post this in a different thread, so I did. I do believe that numerous coins can be revitalized with a little judicious cleaning. Cleaning can be with a tooth pick, which can produce great results. Or under a scope with harder instruments. It can also entail scrubbing, soaking and dipping. Disaster can result!! But then good results can also follow. Let me see some of your attempts, successes and failures too. Here are a few BEFORE and AFTER samples which I start off with. I was prompted originally to post this via member GILBERT. I also realize that some folks recommend no cleaning at all. Thats okay.

Okay here are a few images. DO ZOOM IN!!
    [​IMG]

This first image, shows a spot which cannot be removed without major alterations to the coin. A dremel tool with a polishing compound can remove it, but then the entire surface must be polished or it would not match. Polishing this coin is definitely not advised. If it were a 2009 + I might consider polishing. Sadly fingerprints cannot often be removed, in some cases they can, but not in this case.
    NEXT:

[​IMG]
    On this Jamaica sample, I first soaked the coin in acetone for 2 hours. Then washed the coin in warm soapy water, scrubbed with a tooth brush with Joy detergent. Added a bit of mineral oil and was done. (Note some lint on the "after" coin image). A few spots remain, but to me the coin is greatly improved. I think you can zoom in on the images (these are low resolution images, all of them). I usually add a tiny bit of mineral oil to prevent further oxidation, it is finally dabbed dry with toilet tissue.
    NEXT:
    [​IMG]
    Here the results are more obvious. In fact, this is a coin I would classify as "SAVED". It would have gone into my junk bin, but it came out rather nicely. It too was soaked in acetone, then scrubbed, and then patted dry. Each of these sample coins are older worn coins.
    NEXT

[​IMG]
    Again good results. This coin was first scrubbed, dried. Then quickly dipped in "Tarn-X" (available at Safeway). This is a well used coin but years of drabness were removed, and a brighter coin resulted. I think it was vastly improved. The outer ring is aluminum/bronze, and the Tarn-X, brought out its golden sheen qualities seen in its original state.
    NEXT:
    [​IMG]
    This little Norway 10 Ore, was quite dingy. Had many tiny spots of a darker gray color, tarnish and some mild corrosion. This coin was first scrubbed, then it too was dipped quickly (5 seconds) in "Tarn-X". A few of the deeper corrosion-type spots remain - left of "Norge", but overall it is improved. I like "Tran-X as it seems gentler than "eZest". I will use "eZest" on tough coins, and on silver coins -- but only those coins which absolutely need the treatments. Often bronze coins can really come alive with just a bit of mineral oil rubbed in, and then patted dry. The mineral oil has no acids seen in most Olive oils. Leaving too much mineral oil on the coin can result in a hazy appearance, (simply remove the excess).

I only clean coins which need it, coins which otherwise would be absolutely worthless if not restored. Recall that these images are low resolution samples.
    GSDykes

Gilbert likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

These types of cleaning are fine on coins that are worthless. I actually like the look of the coins above better before they were cleaned. They looked normal. Now they look cleaned. Never use these types of cleaning on anything of value.

thomas austin and BadThad like this.
  4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Agree with Larry, I actually liked the coins a LOT better before they were cleaned.

5. GSDykes

I was not asking for opinions, just pics of cleaning attempts. I realize that some collectors fail to appreciate some aspects of cleaning and or preservation. Some coins "worthless" or "precious" need cleaning. For some of us, your "worthless" coins can be of great value to discerning collectors. Let me see some of your worthless cleaned coins?

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Normally when you post pictures of before and after you should show them Before and After.. not After then Before. And you should maintain the same background also.

7. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Isn't "cleaned gems" an oxymoron?

swamp yankee and paddyman98 like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sorry. I thought you were wanting opinions.

10. Frank Fowler

Frank Fowler New Member

I've been wandering about those sonic jewelry cleaners. The ones that vibrate the water.Would that be considered cleaning a coin. By the way I'm a new collector and I have learned so much from you guys.Thanks

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sonic cleaners don't work well with coins. The high points on the coin will rub and it won't look natural.

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

image.jpg image.jpg Over the past months many CT members have commented on the pros and cons of bathing, rinsing and/or cleaning coins. This interests me because many of my coins have 'issues'. While aggressive cleaning is not something I would consider, if improvement can be made without destroying value that would be desirable. The 1876 dime served as a test of several of the methods that have appeared in various threads. The before picture shows a black substance coating much of the obverse. First, it was soaked in distiller water for several days with no improvement. Next, a two week soak in acetone, with little improvement. Third, a two day soak in xylene, with no improvement. Lastly, warm soapy water and a scrubbing with a tooth brush. The scrubbing dislodged several pieces of the black substance particularly at five o'clock on the rim. Comments? Recommendations?

GSDykes likes this.
  13. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Too bad you really can't keep people from posting their opinions.

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The unfortunate consequence of posting on forums, is that you tend to get opinions, unsolicited or not. With that said, my opinion is I like the look of uncleaned coins. The dirt and grime give a "lived" look and add contrast to the design.

GSDykes likes this.
  15. GSDykes

a reply to,
    Paddyman98:
    Lets see your "proper" pics. Reminds me of various protocols which are not always best. Like the Army Officer who always, I mean always went "by the book", until he was shot. I apologize if I violated your sensitive tastes. I know the proper sequence, but I am also a bit lazy at my age. I will be more careful.

a reply to,
    stewart dandis:
    Cute stewart, real cute.

a reply to,
    d.t.menace
    Not an oxymoron. Take a trip to a large museum, or the Smithsonian. There you will see hundreds of preserved, cleaned, coins. Why save dirty dingy coins for posterity?? Their cleaned results are "cleaned gems". Are yours?

The science of properly preserving artifacts of history (be it manuscripts, stamps, coins, paintings et al) is a dignified and valid science. As Q. David Bowers lamented (as I posted earlier) too many numismatists are plagued with the stigma of not touching a spotted, filthy dirty dingy old coin. Rubbish, use your head and the proper tools to clean -- in a multitude of ways -- coins which need it. Who wants to give their grandson/daughters green verdigris covered Indian Head cents?? Or how about black Morgan dollars?? I thought I was asking adults to post some of their cleaning attempts, I was not asking for childish fears. It is time to treat your collection properly (MY opinion). If I clean some of MY coins, it is a freedom I earned, in blood.
    GSDykes

16. GSDykes

Gilbert, when removed the undersurface contrasts poorly with the rest of the coin. In THIS CASE, I would let this one be. You can carefully pick off more pieces, do so under a binocular-type microscope, using a fine brass pick, or stainless steel like dentists use. But again this coin would appear very blotchy when done.
    IF you had to clean this, pick off all debris, then a 10 second soak in Ezest cleaner. The soak will reduce the blotchy contrasts. In the end you will lose whatever luster you have, but the dime should seem more uniform. If you do so, let me know of the results. And keep growing in knowledge, your personal experiments are valuable, even if the results are a failure. You do know, that coin restoration "experts" earn a fairly good living at NGC!!
    This is what this forum is about, sharing knowledge, and experimenting for the bold.
    GSDykes

Gilbert likes this.
  17. GSDykes

Note this:
    restore_1.jpg

• PCGS Restoration Dos and Don'ts
      Submitting a coin for PCGS Restoration in no way guarantees the upgrade of your coin. If the coin is already in a PCGS holder, it is guaranteed not to downgrade, nothing more. Through our restoration service, PCGS is committed to preserving and restoring coins to their original and natural condition.

Toning
      • PCGS Restoration will not remove original toning simply to make a coin white.
      • PCGS Restoration will never add toning to a coin.
      • In cases where PCGS determines that removing toning is necessary and desirable and will not detract from the coin, it may be done. This type of toning may be the result of improper storage, interaction with corrosive materials, or a stain due to an accidental spill.
      Surface Contaminants
      • PCGS Restoration will remove any contaminants that are determined to have been deliberately and artificially applied. Examples include putty, dumdum, grease and other substances known to be used by “coin doctors.”
      • Restoration will remove contaminants introduced to the coin's surface through improper care or storage. Examples include PVC or Verdigris.
      • Dirt or debris can often be removed through a gentle rinse.
      • PCGS Restoration will never add any substance to the surface of a coin.
      Spots
      • Spots on coins can be the result of a variety of causes. Many spots can be removed, yet some cannot be removed without damaging the coin.
      • PCGS will not attempt to remove a spot unless it is determined that the spot significantly detracts from the coin's overall appearance or is active and will continue to grow.
      • PCGS will not attempt to restore a spotted coin if that in our opinion, a spot is so deep that removal would lower the coin's overall condition.
      • Older spots such as old spittle or old thumbprints often cannot be removed without stripping the coin's original surface and will not be attempted.
      • Newer contaminants such as recent fingerprints can be removed. Also, certain spots due to corrosive interactions can often be removed without impairing the surface.
      Metal
      • PCGS Restoration will never add, remove or alter metal. This includes engaging in well-known “coin doctoring” practices such as smoothing, whizzing, polishing, engraving, etc.
      • Issues such as scratches, dings, planchet flaws or bending will not be addressed. If it is determined that a coin suffering from one or more of these problems does not have other issues that can be addressed through Restoration, the coin will be returned as is.
      • via PCGS, per GSDykes

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do you really need to act like this?

19. GSDykes

from Idhair:
    Do you really need to act like this?

Acting? How about just plain communication. Let's see your contribution.

20. UniqueDesigns

UniqueDesigns Civil War Token Collector

Set ups for a Ball Jar electrolysis 9-12 volt cleaner can be found on YouTube.
    You can build your own for a few dollars, if you have an old converter box from a gadget charger, which are up to 12 volts. Hang a piece of silver from the Pos. and your silver coin from the Neg. in a warm salt water solution. (copper w/ copper)
    The attached layer of whatever is on that dime should dissolve off easily.
    Any material harder than the metal your coin is struck on Will leave marks, no matter how careful you think you can be. Ivory toothpicks can be made by slicing up an Ivory Piano Key veneer, along its grain. A fine file will make the tip very pointy to get into fine/tight devices, but will not leave marks, from its own material.
    Moving the dirt that came on any coin is more likely to leave marks, since dirt is often composed of fine stone dust, which may be harder than copper or silver, etc.

GSDykes likes this.
  21. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There's a pretty big difference between PCGS conservation and your cleaning process and scrubbing a coin with a tooth brush. You can do whatever you want with your coins and I recommend that people try things such as this. But only on valueless coins in the hopes they see what shouldn't be done to coins with any value.

Statements like this aren't helpful for new collectors. They may think that perhaps cleaning a coin via various methods is OK as a result. But in reality most 'discerning' collectors will see coins treated like the ones above as problem coins. It doesn't really matter on personal opinion regarding worth and value. The market determines whether or not these coins are valuable and acceptable and they aren't seen as such they are seen as problem coins.

ldhair likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted