Lets see your Cherry Picked coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hoky77, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Haven't received this one yet....mpd-001. The 6 is protruding out under the base of the rock. Directly over the 6 in the date . DSCN2124-down.JPG

Omegaraptor, gronnh20, Hoky77 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I picked this one today. It's a 1921-S Morgan Dollar VAM-1H. It has incredible die polish/file lines all over the obverse and reverse as well as die gouges, die chips, die cracks and die erosion. It also has what looks like struck through splattered grease in the fields on the obverse around Liberty's cap. It was love at first sight. :)

1921-S-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse.jpg 1921-S-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse.jpg

4. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

1919 DDO Buffalo Nickel FS-101
    Found in a $10.00 lot of 6
    1919BufDDO.jpg 1919BufDDOobv.jpg 1919BufDDOrev.jpg

5. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

1864 With L Poliquin Variety 9 Snow-8
    1864LobvP9A.jpg Inked1864LobvP9date_LI.jpg 1864LrevP9a.jpg

6. Paddy54

I love them dark like this one...Nice pick up Hoky77 sweet coin.

Hoky77 likes this.
  7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here's a handful that all arrived on Thursday. The 1878-S Long Nock was an eBay cherrypick, but the other 4 were all bought on Thursday from different shops.

Up first the 1878-S Morgan Dollar VAM-27 Long Nock. I knew before buying it, that it was probably cleaned. Upon it's arrival, I was a bit disappointed that it was more than just cleaned but looks whizzed. Still it's a tougher VAM and it's in XF-AU Details. Had it been untouched, I would have done a happy dance around the house for a week straight. LOL But, it's still my first long nock cherrypick after looking for a LONG time.

1878-S-Morgan-Dollar-Long-Nock-VAM-27.jpg

This next coin was picked at a shop that specializes in bullion with a little bit of numismatic stuff. It's an Early Die State 1882-O/S VAM-3. I'd call it a high XF to low AU. The diagnostic for EDS is the MM in the was the S is not flush to the surface of the O.

1882-O-Morgan-Dollar-O-over-S-VAM-3-EDS.jpg

This next coin was bought along with the 1882-O/S above. I love "sunken die/buffed die" varieties and this was a no brainer in my book. The obverse is just destroyed, it has a nice orange peel texture with deep haloing around the devices and Liberty's hair.

1889-Morgan-Dollar-VAM-30-LDS.jpg
    1889-VAM-30-LDS-Detail.jpg

These next two came from a dealers junk Peace Dollar box. I was blown away to come out with two nice picks. This first one is a toughie and it's a later die state. The 1922 VAM-1F with the die break in the field on the reverse under the eagle's breast. It looks to be a low end UNC maybe MS-61.

1922-Peace-Dollar-VAM-1F-Field-Break-LDS.jpg

This last one really caught my eye. I love large die cracks and breaks and this one leaves nothing to be wanted. It has two displaced die breaks on the obverse, one above IN of IGWT and the other above TRVST on the obverse. The third displaced die break is on the reverse at the E of UNITED. This set of dies must have been retired not too long after this coin was struck. Just look at the peripheral die break around the reverse going from the rock that the eagle is perched on all the way around to ER of AMERICA. The depth of the displacement at the E of UNITED is the same as the depth of the letters of the devices. I'm wondering if this is not possibly a new die state worthy of a new VAM listing, possibly VAM-10b?

1922-D-Peace-Dollar-VAM-10a-VLDS.jpg VAM-10a-Detail-3.jpg VAM-10a-Detail-2.jpg

8. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PCGS PR64 BN

Mark Goodman image.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

If this is cherry picked, ya gotta tell us "the rest of the story" ! ;-)

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Not PCGS. ICG.

11. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

Bought in an ICG holder then to PCGS were it stayed the same grade but went from RB to BN.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  12. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

1910 S/S FS-502
    $14 + shipping, sellers pics. 10sobv.jpg 10srev.jpg

Paddy54 and Dougmeister like this.
  13. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Found this Two-Feather Buffalo nickel on eBay from a large dealer. They were asking $35 or best offer. Didn't even hesitate on the BIN price. Sorry for the 2x2 pic. I grade it AU-50.

DSCN1945.JPG DSCN1946.JPG

14. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I was looking for the 1966 SMS Kennedy half dollar no FG and found this. This is a little bit harder to spot than the two-feather nickel. My bad pics are much better than the sellers pics I bought it from. Do yo see initials? They are comprised of 4 bumps. I think there is more than enough initials there not to get the designation. I may not pursue this one any longer on-line. It is too hard to see in pics.

DSCN1942.JPG DSCN1943.JPG DSCN1944.JPG

15. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Listed as a 1864 bronze. The sellers pic showed only showed a bit of the lathe line behind Miss Liberties eye.
    Poliquin 14, Snow-11, FS-1401 IMG_6717.JPG IMG_6721.JPG IMG_6717.JPG IMG_6721.JPG IMG_6719.JPG

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

C-B-D likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This doesn't technically qualify as a cherry pick since I didn't purchase it, but I did discover this third known 1793 NC-6 while looking at Heritage Archives late last year. I brought it to the attention of Heritage who passed along the information to the purchaser and confirmed my attrribution. It has a provenance older than the discovery of the variety.

1793 NC-6 Obv Fr-2 2.jpg 1793 NC-6 Rev Fr-2 2.jpg

Mark Borckardt wrote up an article in the April 2019 issue of Penny-Wise about it's discovery and provenance. It had been mistakenly attributed as S-16 by prior owners.

The NC-6 shares the reverse with S-16, but has a different obverse.

It is part of a collection which will be auctioned in Long Beach in September.

If interested, you can actually see my posts in the "Attribute This" thread beginning in late December as I mused over the discovery and found additional diagnostics confirming the variety.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I think I remember it if it's the one with the shield found on 1860 reverses and thereafter, but not on production 1859s.

19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That sounds right. I do remember it being about the shield.

Yeah, that was it, I think. Someone bought an 1859 cent and it had the 1860 wreath & shield reverse instead of the simple laurel wreath of the regular issue 1859 coins.

20. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I believe the 1859 CuNi was struck in four different patterns. The one I know off the top of my head had the shield with the oak leaf wreath rev. that was used from 1860 on. The pattern coin you mentioned must could been an estate sale coin. Apparently it was raw because if it were slabbed it would have been noted. If it had the reverse used from 60 on I can see how it could be missed.

TypeCoin971793, Paddy54 and Marshall like this.
  21. Paddy54

That's a $450- 550 coin ....nice return on your investment. Two thumbs up!

gronnh20, TypeCoin971793 and Hoky77 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted