Lets see your Cherry Picked coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Hoky77, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the offer, but it's not necessary . I just hope whom ever gets the specimen they know it is a rare variety, and is needed to fill a hole in their collection.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Hoky77, Eduard and Omegaraptor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I insist.

Hoky77 and Eduard like this.
  4. Paddy54

Ok find me a LM-11.1 we can call it even lol ;)

Hoky77, TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
  5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

AA5A6271-DE88-4294-8DCF-A7C3A4A8A41F.jpeg A740992B-A8C4-4A1D-AD5A-714EB799AA9A.jpeg

Won this for $5.51. 1926-D 3 1/2 legged Buffalo. I’m on a roll with Buffalo nickel varieties.

6. Paddy54

Yeah all the remaining pups seems to point to yes.

jtlee321 likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Here she is:
    DSCN9494-side.JPG

TypeCoin971793 and Paddy54 like this.
  8. Paddy54

DSCN9494-side.jpg 1832_lm-11-1.jpg
    Now since you posted a good image let me explaine the difference of the two remarriages. This 1832 is a remarriage of the dies. The obv. Is a #2 the rev. Is a U.
    Now the obv. Is based on star placements either closeness, the tip maybe pointing to a denticals or between them,also date placement or style.
    The rev. A dead give away is the recur or repunched "O" in of as well die cracks.
    Now the rev. U Was again reused in 1833 strikes.
    What seperated the 11.1 and 11.2 is a simple die crack. Notice the crack that runs from the scroll at the M and up though the A in America to the rim.
    There are 5 known obv. Dies used in 1832 and 4 reverse dies used to strike this year. They are M,PT,& U.
    Reverse U used on LM 10 LM 11.1 11.2 and again in 1833 LM 4 which is an R 2.
    What determine the R factor is the number of strikes using the the #2 obv. Die,and the number of strikes by using one of the other reverse dies.
    Which are the following LM 2. LM 6 LM 9 and the pair LM 11
    This is what to me makes it fun hunting down the die pairs and noting the differences .
    Then you can get into the survival factors meaning how many are left .
    If the mintage was low to begin with then you start to determine out of the 4 pairs listed above and the fact that LM 11 is split into the 11.1 and 11.2 you can see why the R Factors are so high. Both are R 5 coins. The other 3 pairs are as follows
    LM 2 is an R 3
    LM 6 is an R 4
    LM 9 again like the LM 11 is a remarriage LM9.1 an R 6 and the LM 9.2 an R 7.
    Maybe confusing to some but if you're interested in reading and learning more about these fantastic little coins visit one of the best sites on this series at everythinghalfdimes. Google and book mark the site you'll be glad you did.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Hoky77 and C-B-D like this.
  9. Omegaraptor

I'll throw some blood in the water too.

[​IMG]

This is an 1876-CC DDO Seated Dime unattributed on Ebay. This one should be easy to match up with a quick search. Specifically, it is the Right C High variety. It is an F-107, but I do not know if it is one of the rare rotated die states.

I will not be buying it, as I have spent too much money in the past few weeks on coins. If you want it, have at it.

Hoky77, Paddy54 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. Omegaraptor

1821dimejoke.jpg

Here's a meme for the bust dime collectors.

NSP and okbustchaser like this.
  11. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

One can always hope when he sees that obverse.

[​IMG]

Not my coin, alas.

NSP, Hoky77 and Omegaraptor like this.
  12. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

1889 IHC Variety 51
    When I picked this coin up I saw the rev. die crack and did a quick check. I thought it was a Variety 3 but when I received it I noticed the break was a little south. I submitted some photos to Mr. Poliquin and he verified it was a new die pairing. Here is the new page in the web book:
    http://indiancentvarieties.com.fqdns.net/1889_variety051.html

1889_variety051_obv.jpg 1889_variety051_rev.jpg

Omegaraptor, jtlee321 and Dougmeister like this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

1849 Large Cent - variety N16. A very scarce variety at R-5.
    Attribution points are: Chips under chin, tiny spurs under "N" in ONE, and crumbling at star 1.
    This was not an intentional cherry pick. I bought it without knowing it is a rare variety.

1849 Cent N-16 OBV6 N - 1.jpg 1849 Cent N-16 REV2 N - 1.jpg

jtlee321, Omegaraptor and Hoky77 like this.
  14. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

jtlee321, Eduard and C-B-D like this.
  15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice '64-L Hoky77!

This is mine. If I may ask, is this one of the recognised varieties?
    (cost about $25-$30 a long time ago).

Thanks!

1864-L Cent OBVN 1 - 1.jpg 1864-L Cent REVN 1 - 1.jpg

Cheech9712 and Hoky77 like this.
  16. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I think it is a Snow-12, I say this because the base of the 1 appears thick and closer to the denticles with the 4 being farther away giving the date a upward tilt. The pictures don't give enough definition to show a delicate repunching of the 4 that is the definitive mark for the S-12. Also there is a slight rotation of the rev. die. If it is this it is not a common coin. Let me know as I am now curious.:happy:

17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Hoky!

Here is another photo of the date - hopefully a little better...
    I do not see the repunching on the 4, at least not clearly.

By the way, there seems to be clear double striking on the legend on the obverse. (You can double clicks the pictures for an expanded view).

Is this repunching normal?

Thanks!

1864-L Cent OBVN 1 close up date - 1.jpg

18. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

Longacre’s Doubling common in IHC's There is stuff on Google about it. The repunch on the 4 is the top of the base and some in the field to the left. Look at the base with a loop, if your eyes are like mine you won't see it with the naked eye. I am pretty sure it is a S-12. 1864WithL_snow12_date.JPG

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you again, Hoky.
    I only have the photos to go by at the moment, and I am not seeing the doubling.
    I will take better ones as soon as I can.

20. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Hoky77 likes this.
  21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here's one that if I can get it into a PL holder will be one heck of a cherrypick. I picked this up a few days ago. It was housed in a yellow ANACS MS-65 holder. It had gunk hiding the reflectivity in the fields. I could see some signs of mirrored fields in the holder, so I cracked her and did a conservation. There is a bit of haze making the fields look bright in the images, but the mirrors are pretty strong and clear.

1900-Morgan-Dollar-PL.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted