Lets SEE YOUR ALUMINUM WORLD COINS

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GSDykes, Aug 21, 2015.

1. triggersmob

triggersmob World Collector

1969 Albania 20 Qindarka.JPG 1969 Biafra One Shilling.JPG 1953 Cambodia 20 Centimes.JPG

Albania, Biafra and Cambodia.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Whats on the flip side of the Cambodian, the "bowls" or?? This reverse side is very very nice! I have one also somewhere, I may post it in a bit. I am just now starting to dig through my aluminum coins.

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

A lot of the attractive aluminum coins from the 1940s and 50s are from France or its territories. I have nice ones from French West Africa and New Caledonia too.

5. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Ahem!...thou hast thee other Conga Lion which be mein. This I remind ye of. :p

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  6. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Here is a "bunch" of mein:

Central African States - 1 Franc - 1978.jpg
    Equatorial African States - 1 France - 1969.jpg
    French Cameroon - 2 Francs - 1948.jpg French Equatorial Africa - 2 Francs - 1948.jpg West African States - 1 Franc - 1963.jpg

Alas...no Conga Lion as of yet.

sonlarson, GSDykes and Hiddendragon like this.
  7. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

8. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Aluminum coins are somewhat unloved. I would like to post some photos but just can't figure out how to do on this tablet.

There are a few things that come to mind:

- first aluminum coin was struck for east Africa back in 1907.
    - if I am not wrong, during WWii and after the war, many countries were forced to switch over to aluminum as it was cheaper and more plentiful compared to important war metals such as copper and nickel.
    - I believe Romania has used aluminum extensively for her coinage
    - Japan still has circulating aluminum coin
    - South Korea introduced a copper plated aluminum coin a few years back. North Korea obviously has aluminum coins if they even circulate
    - Aluminum is a favorite choice for alloy such as aluminum bronze. This creates a gold colour finish as well as being more durable. Australia dollar coins are such examples.

Aluminum coins actually do handle circulation rather well. I guess when it oxidize, it doesn't look pretty.

9. Hiddendragon

Yeah, I have two of these and I'm holding on to both of them. They don't have a high book value but I feel like the second one is worth holding onto.

I have a lot of good coins for this thread but I'm going out of town and don't have time to track them down. I'm not one of those collectors who has photos of all their coins. French Indochina also has some really nice ones.

10. GSDykes

But lots of Bazor designs. The 2 "gazelles" with the long horns is Bazor's work, it is so well liked that I think it is even being minted today! The Kagu bird is his design too, as well as many other Oceania coins (as most of you already know). The guy was quite an artist! Great stuff, great coins you have, works of art. He had some techniques similar to a New Zealand engraver (I think "White" was his name). You know the big bird on the New Zealand bronze penny. Anyways, super nice coins! I will post some of mine soon. I have this one from Turkey, which I can do in a minute, if I can stay awake.

11. GSDykes

Gee whiz, the work of Bazor really shines in your 5 Franc Caledonian coin. It is a very beautiful and symmetrical work, that seated "liberty" (or "lady") looks very smooth and clean! The guy was talented! Serene-like. Nice coin!

12. GSDykes

This 1963 Chilean coin was actually in circulation, but is now EF-45, I suspect. It is a big aluminum coin, and it has survived fairly well. I really like the flying condor, but via Numista I cannot yet identify the engraver/designer. It is 1 mm smaller than the 10 pesos coins (also aluminum) of the late 1950s, they almost look identical. Chile, Cuba, France, Israel, Nepal, Germany, Japan, Lebanon, China, India-Republic, all produced aluminum coins - to name a few. Mexico, that silver blessed nation, apparently did not ever mint aluminum coins. In numerous cases the coins were not issued as emergency money. Other reasons also exist as to why a nation decided to mint aluminum coins. Chile is one of the leading copper producing nations in the world, perhaps they minted these aluminum coins (in the mid-twentieth century) because of internal conflicts and heavy inflation. However, Cuba had no real "emergency" reason to mint aluminum coins from circa 1998 - 2012 (or later); nor did Nepal from 1966-1971, while ruled by Mahendra Bir Bikram display an emergency need to mint aluminum coins, at least not as far as I know -- but then what do I know.? :banghead:

Chile_one_centesmo_my.jpg

13. triggersmob

triggersmob World Collector

14. GSDykes

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

jlblonde and GSDykes like this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Now that's more like a coin.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I too am quite a fan of the Bazor coins, and have quite a few of them. But, since a lot of people have posted already, lets switch it up: this one is from Morocco. It was coined under the French Protectorate, and is a 5 Franc coin graded NGC MS-67.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ffrickey, TIF, GSDykes and 3 others like this.
  18. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Here's the French 5f in aluminum, engraved by Lavrillier
    [​IMG]

jlblonde, sonlarson and GSDykes like this.
  19. GSDykes

Three aluminum coins: Turkey (low mintage), then a giant 36 mm, Hungarian 5 Pengo of 1943, not a restrike, the obverse of which I borrowed to go along with my reverse. And at bottom another Bazor, French Oceania.

Turkey_10_kurus_1975.jpg Hungary_5Pengo.jpg French_Oceania.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  20. GSDykes

Sort of art deco! Nice coin. By the way, Dave, thanks for the information about the USPS and their actions concerning stolen items in the mail. I have had 1 coin stolen over the years, in transit. And YES, definitely inspect and open the package BEFORE signing. Hope you get back the stolen notes, beautiful banknotes they were!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  21. Hiddendragon

Here are a few I just scanned from my T-V album. The scanner reflects the light from the bright surface unfortunately. These are Vatican City. I could fill a page with these, but here are a few. 1950 vatican 2 lire.jpg 1950 vatican 10 lire.jpg 1951 vatican 10 lire.jpg 1968 vatican 10 lire.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted