Let's See Some Beautiful Notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by MorganMan, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

Thanks for the replys. I only have a few notes right now. Is the District Group still open for new folks?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Absolutely! You can take any open district if you see one you like and want to represent that district, but it's not mandatory that you collect only open districts. It's okay if we have multiple folks who want to collect the same districts. Some are probably harder to complete than others, some will already have a better start in one over another and may be able to help one another out with locating notes for a given district. It not restricted to one member per district by any means.

I will go over to that thread and make an appeal for 2011 to see who's still on board.

4. coinup

coinup Junior Member

yeah, I haven't been able to add to my DCCG collection for a while - I'm still looking for 10.00 and a 20.00 K notes...

5. Zeplyn

So what if I wanted to join but did not want to commit to any certain district? Could I be a member and have notes from any of the districts?
    Are there any membership requirements, fees, dues?? Any initiation or stuff like that?

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It sure is Bob! This same buffalo design by Marcus Baldwin was also used in several other applications
    Such as the 30 cent United States Postage Stamp 1922-1926 and of course the famous $10 legal
    Tender note of 1901 featuring Lewis and Clark in addition many Stock certificates featured the design
    As well

7. krispy

krispy krispy

The group was formed around the idea of trying to at least one example of every series of note for a particular district. I understand some people collect district sets, meaning every note for every series, which is a lot of work, and partly why some of us have focused on just one district. You can certainly post or share anything you want in the threads and play along. Others will be listed as representing specific districts and update on their progress infrequently or when they have some achievement. I think RickieB and camlov2 were in the lead with their districts, NY and SF respectively. It's not a race though, they just seem to have the most complete district sets.

8. Zeplyn

It is my understanding that Marcus Baldwin did not design the creature (Bison) named after its owner. Instead Mr. Baldwin engraved the sketch originally performed by Charles R. Knight of Brooklyn, NY. I read that somewhere and cant remember where??

Krispy
    Thanks for the info. I am too new to paper collecting to make any decision now. I do have interest in several notes from different districts. I like the older small size notes from 1928 thru 1934. They just look sweet! I think it would be cool to have a complete number set of notes from $5 to $100 1-12. Does anyone here collect this type of set?

9. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I love the hunt for the bills. Finding a bill from 1934 (to pick a year) should be pretty easy, finding one for the bank you keep can make it quite a bit harder. It is a nice way to have a focus and be able to add to a collection without spending a ton of money. Each bank seems to have at least a few key notes that will be very expensive but many of the dates can be found for reasonable amounts. I picked SF since I live in California but you could pick any Bank for any reason.

Hope you join us.

10. Zeplyn

I would enjoy that very much. I may be scattered all over the place as my interest are not within a single district.
    Do you guys prefer graded or ungraded notes for the pages? I suppose I could sign me up, but I will not list a specific Bank yet if thats ok?

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Here is an excellent presentation by CoinTalk member: Art, that was presented here on CT to the Security Engravers Group (SEG) in 2010:

Security Engraver's Presentation - Pablo

Topic: Pablo - Symbol of the American Spirit
    by Art [04/18/2010]

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Graded or ungraded, anything goes, but let's move this discussion over to the appropriate thread...

District Currency Collectors Group

13. connor1

connor1 Collector

Zeplyn you can post Large or small note/MPC's ,vignettes from notes etc.Welome to the forum ...Back to thread "Lets see some beautiful Notes"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

martins bank.jpg

isle of man 1939 £1 note from martins bank liverpool and the isle of man

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Never noticed the grasshopper on that note before:D Sometime I would like to get that one, the Westminster and the IOM Bank issues from before the banking consolidation.

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Purchased sometime ago and let lay around un-imaged for awhile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19th century Uruguayan banks liked colourful paper money - and well printed at that - there was a veritable competition betwixt BWC, ABNCo, G&D and BdF for printing contracts there. This note printed by ABNCo belies some of the printing techniques developed by the Homer Lee Banknote Co early in the 1880's when they were merged with ABNCo.

17. zantetsuken

zantetsuken Junior Member

Does this qualify? This is 3,000 Tenge from the BUKHARA SOVIET PEOPLES REPUBLIC dated 1338 AH/1920 AD. These were printed with engraved wood blocks. Bukhara was the only Soviet controlled territory that didn't initially use the Ruble system. I love the vibrant colors on this note.

[​IMG]

BUKHARA SOVIET PEOPLES REPUBLIC~3,000 Tenge 1338 AH/1920 AD

18. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Hey...I once owned one of those Buffalo's...A very unique piece of Paper. I still hold a very very special item related to that $10 Beauty!!

RickieB

19. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

Very cool thread. Nice to see all these fine specimen note in one place!

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Still One of my Favourites - of all I Possess:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was printed by ABNCo's Ottawa division, with some assistance from the office in New York. The style of printing with multiple printing passes on the obverse of the note with dramatic colour contrasts was a process that was developed by Homer Lee Banknote Company during the late 1870's and early 1880's. ABNCo merged with Homer Lee Banknote Co in the 1880's and adapted many of their printing techniques into their own works.

21. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_2860.jpg
    Beautiful ???? Maybe not, but an interesting piece of Notgeld. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted