Lets see some Austrian coins, please post away!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 1066merlin, Feb 26, 2012.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

You'll notice they are pretty old holders, not a chance I could afford them either if I had to buy them in today's market. Maybe the Leopold 25 Schilling, the other two are way out of my league in 2012 prices. I've got the 1931 Austrian 100 Schilling in MS65 also, but can't seem to find the photos. It's DMPL though not so idicated on the slab. Reverse of the 1936 Austrian 100s, for some reason wouldn't load in the other post. Maybe too many attachements for a single post??

Pb055788.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

I can see why it is one of your favorites, the detail is just incredible!
    thanks for posting it guy!

4. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

I wonder how many coins they could get out of 1 die. With detail like that I would think the dies would not last very long at all

5. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

None of the gold coins had very high mintages, even the more common non-commemorative gold 100 Schilling coins all had mintages of 50,000 or so with the exception of 1931 which was just over 100,000 coins. The silver coins of the era are another story. The Madonna of Mariazell silver 5 Schilling had 10 million struck over three years, though I don't know that I have ever seen one with die cracks or even die erosion in the form of cartwheel luster. Most that I have seen have a very mellow subdued luster with no evidence of die fatigue.
    1300810016-2603-0.jpg 1300810062-2660-0.jpg

6. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Thanks for the info princeofwaldo. Thats pretty amazing, I'm sure they had to have used at least 2 sets even for the lower mintages. I have only been collecting Austrian coins for a few months so ANY info from anybody would be very helpful.

Thanks Again!
    Mark

7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Though its Hungary technically its Austria-Hungary

Scan10007.JPG
    Scan10008.JPG
    1892 2 filler

And though its not silver its one of the more rare ones.

8. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Nice! 1892. It's great to actually SEE one! That is also a coin I'm looking out for. 1892 form Both Countrys "Austria/Hungary" are VERY hard to find. I have been looking for a 1892 Heller for almost a year at this point. We have a couple of large shows coming up over the next few months. I hoping to find the there.
    Thanks for the post!!!
    Mark

9. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Here is a restrike that Austria released in 1963 of an original design from 1642. It's one of my favorite coins! It was issued in both gold and silver restrikes. This one is graded MS68 by NGC.

1963_MS68_Austria_2Ducat_Restrike_Silver_obv.jpg 1963_MS68_Austria_2Ducat_Restrike_Silver_rev.jpg

10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

No problem, there was one a few days ago in ebay. Did you get that one?

11. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

A couple yet.

Attached Files:

• 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
    • 42.jpg
      42.jpg
      File size:
      100.9 KB
      Views:
    • 43.jpg
      43.jpg
      File size:
      93.6 KB
      Views:
    • 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      85.4 KB
      Views:
  12. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

Austrian1897Heller.jpg AustrianEmpireCoatofArms1815.jpg this is all i have now

13. dr3ex

dr3ex New Member

Here are a few from my Austria-Hungary collection:

Attached Files:

14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Here's my 1904 2 Heller

Austria2Heller1904.jpg

15. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Probably my nicest I have photographed - 1890 1 Florin. But I have to check...still have others without photos!

Austria - 1890 1 Florin - Obverse copy.jpg Austria - 1890 1 Florin - Reverse copy.jpg

16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

This was one of the coins that got me started in 1964,
    I bought it directly from the Vienna Mint along with some proof sets
    and Maria Theresa Taler restrikes

[​IMG]
    Austria 50 Schillings 1964 - Winter Olympics (Proof)

:)

17. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Once again, "The Burger King Guy!"

img575.jpg

18. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

some really nice coins on this thread, what a shame that they adopted the euro..........................

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

... without even asking whether you guys are OK with that or not. Ts tsk, how terrible. :p

Christian

20. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I think it's a shame anyone adopted the euro, but that's a different matter.

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sure, quite a few British and Americans have always been against the euro, but apparently not for reasons related to coin design. ;) Not that I could tell you how long that shame, as you call it, will last - but what I do find surprising is this lack of differentiation. OK, so you oppose or dislike the currency union, and therefore the coins issued since 2002 are worse? So the Innsbruck and Rudolf der Stifter coins are beautiful because they are schilling pieces, but once the word "euro" appears on the other side, the actual coin design is no longer an issue? Wow.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted