"Let's se your Booty" Pirate Booty That is... Reale's and pieces of 8

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Paddy54, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Who has not dreamed of treasure? Growing up as a kid whom hasn't played pirate for a day? Treasure is the stuff dreams are made of ....men, and women for centuries have risked life and limb to obtain the riches of King's and Queen's.
    One such man was Mel Fisher. Mel was a treasure hunter in every scene of the word.
    For years upon years he searched for the Nuestra Senora de Atocha. Many just know her as " The Atocha" She was Mel's mistress 112' foot vessel she was launched in 1620, her weight 550 tons, built in Havana Cuba.
    She was the pride of the Spanish fleet for her time. She carried Copper , sliver, gold ,tobacco, indigo, gems, and jewelry from the new world back to Spain.
    She was a Galleon had 3 masts, a fore, main sail, and Mizzenmast. She also had a spritsail off the bowsprit. Her crew was 110 men, her protection 20 heavy guns plus 4-8 versos. Her only lacking her hull construction was made of Mahogany not of the traditional oak.

The Atocha fate was sealed in some unfortunate complications, as her treasures were delayed coming from Panama city my mule train to Veracruz where she was docked. The slow mule train delayed her sailing by two months. The delay of the mule train held her up for two more months loading, and recording her cargo. Making her late to join the Main fleet in Havana Cuba. The 28 ship convoy including the Atocha, departed for Spain on the 4th of September 1622, more than 6 weeks behind schedule..... but right in the most dangerous part of the Caribbean hurricane season!

She and the fleet were hit on the 6 th of September by a hurricane off the Dry Tortugas.
    The location about 56 KM off the coast of Key West Fl. She sank fast only a few crew members survived.
    The fleet now crippled by the storm limped back to Havana. They told of the disaster two ships lost The Atocha and the Santa Margartia.
    The Spanish launched a salvage fleet to reclaim what was lost. But the Atocha sank deep in 55 plus foot of water. Divers could not reach her cargo....as another year passed a new hurricane scattered her treasures across the ocean floor.
    She lay a wreck for centuries...... only to become Mel's dream!

Now Mel was in this quest very deep. He rounded up investors , his friends, and family. He set off looking for what Mother nature had destroyed,and spread over the Caribbean floor.
    For years he preached his gospel of the ship laden with treasure. He lost his son, and daughter in law in an accident while searching his mistress. His will not broken the price paid was dear. His Motto was " Today's the Day" and one day it was.......

Today I share with you members, and friends here ... a photo shared with me. The photo of the day Mel Found the Nuestra Senora de Atocha !
    Pictured is Mel of course, next to him {left} a very young Jimmy Buffett. His captain's, and crew member's. Now it's you're turn to share your" Booty" Let's see those once lost treasures..... the stuff dreams are made of, the pieces of eight ,those gold doubloons.
    and tell us their stories...... MVC_001S.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

20150427_123930.jpg 20150427_123950.jpg Here is an 8 reale from the Atocha .The 8 reale is from the 1985 discovery , Reign Philip III, mint P for Potosi ,assayed Q weight 25.1g.

4. Paddy54

20150427_123044.jpg 20150427_123102.jpg The next cob is an 2 reale made into a necklace for my wife. Minted in Potosi ,assayed by NV. This 2 Reale was also found at the Atocha site.
    2 Reale are very scarce as most of the cobs were 8 Reale and then cut to make change. Thus the name pieces of 8!

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Here's a cob another 2 Reale from the 1715 fleet. The 1715 fleet went down in an hurricane off Daytona Fl.
    This is the cob I wear. Thus the skull and cross bones. ARGGG! 20150427_124046.jpg 20150427_124058.jpg

If confused on a part of the opening text please know it's due to spell check on my pad. I just had a chance to re read some and noticed thanks to spell check there are a few errors. The text should of read in every sense of the word. I apologize for the error.

gronnh20, jello and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted