Let's play a game...

Discussion in 'Contests' started by stldanceartist, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Was it the photo that clinched it? Is the one you posted yours?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

What's the history behind it?

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was the photo that clinched it, but I was thinking it was a Palestinian token of some sort as soon as Palestine was mentioned. Unfortunately, the posted one is just an image I snagged from NGC's web site. This is a really neat and rare piece!

Santinidollar likes this.
  5. stldanceartist

Mods, what are the rules regarding using information directly from a reference book?

6. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Was it from Daniel Carr

Kentucky likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Paul's winning guess was his second guess in round 5.;)

Paul M. likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can only assume you are asking that question in regard to copyright law, and yes we will enforce copyright. That said, can you type in the information you find in a reference and share it here ? Yes of course you can.

The only time you run into trouble is when you start photographing a page or pages from a book and then posting those pictures here - doing that is a violation of copyright.

9. stldanceartist

Actually, Paul M asked a question "Is it dated 1927?" and then made his official guess.

Thank you - just what I was hoping to hear. (Wanted to ask first to keep everyone happy...had this all typed up and ready to go.)

Paul M. likes this.
  10. stldanceartist

Palestine Holyland Token​

From The Coins and Banknotes of Palestine Under the British Mandate, 1927-1947, first published in 2001 by McFarland. Author: Howard M. Berlin

"The 1927 Holyland Token"

Perhaps one of the most interesting topics debated in Judaic numismatics is the uncertainty surrounding the origin of the 1927 Holyland Token, sometimes referred to as the "Souvenir Mil." The true story about why this particular item was made has never been known with a high degree of certainty. I use the generalized term "item" here because many of the dealers and collectors with who I have had discussions about this specimen have no consensus of opinion whether or not to correctly classify it as a coin, pattern, or a token.

My summary (which I think will be okay?):

Coin/Pattern - it looks very similar to the actual coins produced by the British Mandate of Palestine in 1927, however, there are some spelling errors in the Arabic that would lead one to believe it could never have been produced by an Arabic nation. Also, certain phrases relating to Israel were included that also would never have been included by an Arabic nation. However, too many examples have been found for what they'd consider normal patterns.

Token - lots of visitors wanted to take home a souvenir of their visit to the Holyland, and they were taking all the new Palestinian coins home, so they made this token as a substitute. However, not enough examples of this item have been found for that to have been reasonably true.

Here is a screenshot of NGC's World Coin Price Guide Search, which anyone can access online HERE)

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 1.05.15 AM.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Santinidollar likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

When you asked the question and said "reference" I assumed you were talking about something like the Krause catalogs where the information you would be sharing would like a single paragraph at most. Doing that, sharing that much info, is permissible under the fair use clause of copyright law.

But 5 pages of text ? I'm sorry, no THAT is not permissible. Sorry, but I must edit your post.

And yeah it's my fault because I made an assumption :oops:

12. stldanceartist

Additional fun fact:

I had no idea that Palestine is the ONLY sovereign country to ever have coins minted with its name on them without ever having technically existed (link.)

Paul M. likes this.
  13. stldanceartist

Tis' why I asked sir.

14. GDJMSP

Oh I know, you asked. And I answered. Problem is, you were asking one question and I was answering an entirely different question. Like I said, my fault, not yours. I should have asked you to be more specific about your question - and then answered.

15. stldanceartist

I just typed in a short self-summary of the edited information. That should be acceptable, yes?

16. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Wow dang I was so close (not really). Fun contest though!
    I liked how you named your picture "mysterious item"
    Congrats Paul M!

Paul M. likes this.
  17. stldanceartist

Ha..well, it WAS named "Palestine - 1927 Holyland Token" which would have kind of been a pretty strong hint...lol

Paul M. likes this.
  18. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Congrats, Paul. Fun game!

stldanceartist and Paul M. like this.
  19. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Thank you for hosting this contest, it was fun.

stldanceartist likes this.
  20. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Thank you it was fun and congratulations to Paul

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Fun game. Hope we can do it again!

Insider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.