Let's march through time with Roman Imperials!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 2, 2018.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I actually have a few of the monogram type coins with the obverses so screwed up that I cannot attribute them. Who knows, I may have a Marcian, I may have a Zeno.
    After Avitus we have Majorian...and so the story goes...

Anybody have a Majorian?

Ryro likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

RIC_0606.jpg
    Aelia Verina, AV Solidus. AD 457-484. 4.45 g. Constantinople. AEL VER-INA AVG, pearl-diademed and draped bust right, wearing necklace and earrings, hand of god holding wreath above / VICTORI-A AVGGG, Victory standing left, holding long jewelled cross. Star in right field, mintmark CONOB. RIC X 606; Depeyrot 93/2; MIRB 4a; Sear 21464. (Borrowed from wild winds)
    RIC_0803.jpg
    Leo II & Zeno AV Solidus. Constantinople mint. Pearl-diademed, helmeted, & cuirassed three-quarter facing bust, holding spear over shoulder & shield decorated with horseman spearing a fallen enemy / Leo & Zeno enthroned facing, each holding mappa; star & cross above; CONOB.(Borrowed from wild winds)
    RIC_3744cf.jpg
    Majorian, Visigothic imitation AV Tremissis. Toulouse(?) mint. D N IVLIVS MAIOR-IANVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, helmeted, draped, & cuirassed bust right, holding spear & shield decorated with six-pointed star / Cross within wreath; COMOB.(Borrowed from wild winds)
    RIC_2704.jpg
    Libius Severus. 461-465 AD. AV Solidus. Rome mint. DN LIBIVS SEVE-RVS PF AVG, rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VICTORI-A AVGGG, Severus standing facing, holding long cross and Victory on globe, right foot resting on a human-headed serpent. R-M across fields, mintmark COMOB. RIC X 2704.(Borrowed from wild winds)

We are in the home stretch here. I have one more of the folks between where the list is and Rom Aug...does anyone have an Anthemius...or anyone on the remainder of the list?

Screenshot_2019-01-12-14-31-28.png

dlhill132, Sulla80, Bing and 2 others like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

Thread seems to be losing steam ryro - thanks for posting the wildwinds stuff. I guess not many folks here on CT have any more to contribute, e.g., these solidi are rare and expensive. Still curious to see if anyone has a romulus.

Ryro likes this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thanks. And great point. I guess I'm just a completionist and want to finish up this darn list!
    I know that I've seen a few of these fellas that wild winds doesn't have posted here before...but don't remember seeing a Augustulus.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LEO I:
    RI Leo I 457-474 CE AE 4 10mm Salus Emp stdg hldg Globe and Standard.jpg
    RI Leo I 457-474 CE AE 4 10mm Salus Emp stdg hldg Globe and Standard

VERINA, wife of Leo I:

RI Verina w Leo I AE2 20mm 457-475 Victory inscribing CHI RHO - RIC X 656 R3 RARE.JPG
    RI Verina w Leo I AE2 20mm 457-475 Victory inscribing CHI RHO - RIC X 656 R3 RARE

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ZENO:
    RI Zeno 476-491 CE 2nd reign AE 10mm Monogram.JPG
    RI Zeno 476-491 CE 2nd reign AE 10mm Monogram

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Marcian is an eay Emperor, here is mine...and some others for catch. The Valentinian III type is the only one I ever saw with that reverse. I won it from Kunker absolutely FDC.

Attached Files:

9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Try again...I think I goofed again. I am on a Stacks Auction, waiting for my lot to bid on... 3dce69166df7b865e863764aada15bbf.jpg 8f8c4c46eb1094ac1e5f9e68db9c3212.jpg 1838a698afea57b360ad81bf11122772.jpg eee8cdf6853e6510cd17d8fb2aefb856.jpg

dlhill132, Andres2, GregH and 8 others like this.
  10. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Some Leo's from the aforementioned CNG lot (I plan to upgrade to a nice tremissis or maybe solidus sometime)

Lion reverse
    Leo I Lion left CON.jpg

Monogram (my current portrait example)
    Leo I monogram CON.jpg

Emperor holding cross and dragging captive (scarcer type)
    Leo AE4 dragging captive.jpg

And I'll count this as my "Poor man's Verina"
    Leo AE4 Verina.jpg

11. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

And Zeno:
    Zeno nummus monogram.jpg

This tremissis is struck for Zeno, but I don't think it is a regular Constantinople issue.

Zeno tremissis victoria avgvstorvm.jpg

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Marcian monogram and a Leo I and Verina:

Marcian nummus.jpg

Leo 1.jpg

13. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Majorian, Western Roman Empire
    AE nummus
    Obv: D N IVL MAIORIANVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped bust right
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGGG, Victory advancing right, holding palm branch and trophy
    Mint: Milan
    Mintmark: MD
    Date: 457-461 AD
    Ref: RIC X 2642

[​IMG]

14. Hugh Cloke

Hugh Cloke New Member

[QUOTE=

Hello, James:

I have a question about the Severus coin. Is this the best way to reach you?

Hugh Cloke

15. Hugh Cloke

Hugh Cloke New Member

16. ancient coin hunter

Any more folks? I suppose we can start plugging some of the holes from wildwinds.

17. ancient coin hunter

Anthemius, 467-472 Emperor of the West

Anthemius, AV solidus, 4.26g, Rome mint. DN ANTHEMIVS PF AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, holding spear and shield with horseman motif / SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Anthemius and Leo I standing facing side by side, holding between them globe inscribed PAX and surmounted by cross, the emperor on the right holding Victory on globe. R-M to left and right. Mintmark COMOB.

anthemius.jpg

Finn235, dlhill132, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  18. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Hello Hugh.

The two easiest ways are via. PM (Personal Message) on this Forum, or via the email link on my web pages.

19. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Is the Anthemius yours? If so - nice work! I've been wanting Anthemius for ages!

20. ancient coin hunter

No that one is from wildwinds. I'm just getting into gold solidi this year as they are more in my price range than aurei. Wish I had an Anthemius though.

21. ancient coin hunter

Does anyone notice that the names of the latter 5th century emperors are quite unique? Well here's another one: Glycerius. I'm betting that no one on the forum has one, so here's another wildwinds special. Of course, if you do have an example please post it. Folks we are getting close to Romulus Augustulus, with just one more western emperor before his time.

Glycerius AV Solidus. (473-474 A.D.) D N GLVCERIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / VICTORI-A AVGGG, Emperor standing facing holding long cross and Victory on globe, one foot on step. R-V across fields. Mintmark COMOB.

glycerius.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted