Let's march through time with Roman Imperials!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

[​IMG]

Maximus of Spain (409-411 AD) AR Siliqua. Barcelona mint. D N MAXIMVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / VICTOR—A AAVGGG, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear. Mintmark SMBA. RIC X 1601; RSC 1; Sear 21081. (Borrowed from Wild winds)

[​IMG]
    Priscus Attalus, AV Solidus. 22 mm, 409-410 AD, 4.47 g. IMP PRISCVS ATTALVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA AVGVSTI, Emperor standing right, holding labarum and Victory on globe, treading with his left foot on bound captive to right; R–M across fields. Mintmark COMOB. RIC 1401. C 9. Depeyrot 37/1.(Borrowed from Wild winds)

[​IMG]
    Sebastianus 412-413 AD. AR Siliqua, Arles. 1.56 gr. DN SEBASTIA-NVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / RESTITV-TOR ROM, Roma seated left on curule chair, holding Victory on globe and inverted spear, back of throne visible. Mintmark KON. Arles. RIC X 1721 Note (this coin): Jameson 402; Mazzini 1 (this coin)(Borrowed from Wild winds)
    [​IMG]

Constantius III. 421 AD. AV Solidus. Ravenna mint. D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / VICTORI-A AVGGG, Constantius standing right, holding standard & Victory on globe, & trampling on captive; R V/ COMOB. (Borrowed from Wild winds)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Like a first girlfriend, she might be ugly but at least you can tell your buddies you have one, here is my (probably barbarous) Valentinian III:
    CollageMaker Plus_2018122619543360.png

Valentinian III, AE4, 425-455 AD. Rome. DN PLA VALENTINIANVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / SALVS REI-PVBLICE, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm branch

And a non barbarous:
    CollageMaker Plus_20184616338690.png

VALENTINIAN III
    425-455 AD. Æ Rome mint. Struck 425-435 AD. D N VA[LENTINIAN] A, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / CRA-TRAN, camp-gate with no doors and two turrets, star above; RO[M]. RIC X 2161

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What makes Poemenius a usurper. He was in charge at a city that supported the most legitimate emperor of that period (Constantius II). That city issued coins in the name of legitimate emperor and none in the name of Poemenius. He might have been considered a traitor by Magnentius but that one has a stronger claim on the term usurper than anyone else of the period. Do we have any evidence that Poemenius had any personal interest in that issue as opposed to the city as a whole remained loyal to the sole remaining son of Constantine?

I consider the term usurper to be overused in several other places. Pescennius Niger was not a usurper any more than was Septimius Severus. He was just the guy that lost and history is written by the winners. I always considered the use of names like Poemenius and Aureolus mostly hype by coin sellers. Worse is using Vetranio or Nepotian for coins with legends of Constantius II. They may have been in charge of a mint city at the time the coin was made and even issued coins in their own names but we don't call coins of emperors who were absent from Rome by the name of the local supporters. Who was in charge at Rome when Septimius Severus was in the East or Britain? Who issued the coins for Gordian I and II who never made it to Rome? There are coins of Pertinax struck at Alexandria but he was either in Rome or dead when they were made (how long did it take to get the word that Commodus was dead to Egypt?

I'm a bit simplistic in my belief that we need pretty solid details before we add names to the emperor list. Exactly who was in control in which mint city at which date becomes difficult in the last part of the empire. We are not consistent in how we handle such matters. Does a coin belong to the name on the coin or the ruler located in the mint city?

I will be anxious to see how we handle Ricimer. He could not be emperor because he was not Catholic but he has his monogram on coins. (I forget who is on the other side?).

We can't be too hard on Theodosius II for his terrible bronzes unless we acknowledge that his gold is probably the easiest and cheapest Roman gold (at least partially due to the amount he made to bribe the Huns). I bought mine (worn and ex jewelry) years ago for just over melt at that time. There are many available in mint state for those who want a perfect one.
    ry8080b01548alg.JPG

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    dlhill132, Finn235, Bing and 6 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

From my collecting perspective, the coin represents History. I do not claim to collect numismatically, rather I choose to collect Historically. I like the story, and that coin is a placeholder that I can speak with my Grandkids about.

If a person can create an uprising, or lead people, and a coin is created, then I see it as an interesting collectible. I cited a couple articles that posit this claim. However, I never stated that I am a scholar, nor an expert. Should you contend the claims, by all means take it to the authors.

I am not too sure who makes the decisions regarding the various Rulers, but this coin has a lot of History surrounding it, so I have added it to my collection.

Here are those articles again:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=57516.0

https://www.academia.edu/1504998/Usurping_a_Usurper_The_Poemenius_Revolt_at_Trier

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Finn235, Ryro, Sulla80 and 1 other person like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I agree Doug that Theo II issued a lot of gold coins some of which are quite nice. It's just that the folks at the mint didn't have the heart to produce reasonable bronze at this date. Who knows how the ordinary folks made it at this time? Not everyone had a solidus.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

This thread mostly stayed ahead of my efforts to sort and image my Romans, but I've enjoyed it from the sidelines. Now's as good a time as any I guess?

Johannes? AE4
    (VICTOR)IA AVG...
    I call it Johannes because I'm pretty sure I see a beard
    Possible Johannes Victoria Avgg.jpg

Valentinian III AV Tremissis
    Minted at Constantinople under Theodosius II
    Practically stole it from Leu
    Valentinian iii tremissis victoria avgvstorvm.jpg

And Theodosius II AE's aren't *ALL* crummy
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-992Ck4MDTZq.jpg

8. Alegandron

Very nice!

Ryro likes this.
  9. Ryro

Those are some wonderful SLRBs. Coingrats on that AU Valentinian iii! Something about a beautiful coin that you also got a screaming deal on that just makes me:
    Funny-Sweat-Man-Gif.gif

Alegandron likes this.
  10. Alegandron

VALENTINIAN III

RI Valentinian III 425-455 CE AE 9mm Rome mint.jpg
    VALENTINIAN III
    AE4 11mm 1.47g Nummus
    AV: DN VALENTINIAN PF AVG; pearl-diademed draped cuirassed bust r.
    REV: SALVS REI - PVBL[]; Victory advancing left holding weath and palm.
    EXE: [RM] Rome mint.
    REF: RIC X Rome 2108, Scarce, 425-430AD.
    Ex: @seth77

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm watching on the sideline as these late, late roman bronzes show up. I like some of those recently posted - they are actually attributable!!!

What's next? Pass the popcorn.

More solidi. I'm curious to see if anyone has a romulus augustulus.

Sulla80 likes this.
  12. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Catch-up post. Very much out of Sequence! I am very much late to the game, sorry. I have been absent from CT for some time - I had so much catching up to do on the Calligraphy Forum, for I had been absent from there for a very long time also - I find it harder and harder to stay up to speed these days.

Some London mint Tetrarchic coins:

RIC Volume VI, Londinium, No. 1a, Diocletian, Augustus of the East
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 1.01.001, c. AD 296, Rarity: R

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG .................... GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI
    LON in reverse exergue

Laureate, truncated, bare neck bust.
    Laurel wreath long ribbon tie laying on the neck.
    LON mint mark in the reverse exergue.
    All LON mint mark coins are designated Rare by CT.
    As depicted in RIC Volume VI, Plate 1.
    9.8 gm.

RIC VI, Londinium, No.6b, Maximian Herculius, Augustus of the West:
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 2.01.007 (5), c. AD 296-303, Rarity: C

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG ................. GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Laureate, cuirassed, bust.
    10.1 gm.

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 14a, Constantius, Caesar of the West:
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 2.01.010 (3), c. AD 296-303, Rarity: C

[​IMG][​IMG]
    FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB C .............................. GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Small head on a tall neck.
    Reminiscent of Carausius/Allectus Mint "long neck" Antoniniani
    Maybe the work of former Carausius/Allectus Mint die engravers?
    9.8 gm.””

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 20, Constantius, Caesar of the West
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 2.01.010 (1), c. AD 296-303, Rarity: C

[​IMG][​IMG]
    FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB C ........................... GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Laureate, cuirassed, bust with long ribbon tie laying on neck.
    London style lettering.
    9.8 gm.

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 25, Maximian Herculius, Augustus of the West:
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 3.01.013, c. AD 303-1 May 305, Rarity: S

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP MAXIMIANVS PF AVG ................................. GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Draped, laureate, bust.
    10.2 gm.

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 28a, Diocletian, Augustus of the East:
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 3.01.005, c. AD 303-1 May 305, Rarity: C

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG ................................. GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

11.5 gm.

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 42, Galerius Maximian, Augustus of the East:
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 4.03.004, AD 1 May 305 - Spring 307, Rarity: S

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C MAXIMIANVS P F AVG ......................... GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Identical obverse inscription (2C) to the primary one of Maximian Herculius.
    9.7 gm.

RIC VI, Londinium, No. 46 (variant), Severus, Augustus of the West:
    CT (Cloke & Toone), No. 4.04.004, 26 July 306 - Spring 307, Rarity: RR

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP SEVERVS PIVS FEL AVG ........................... GENIO POPV - LI ROMANI

Draped laureate bust.
    This variant (PIVS FEL instead of PIVS FELIX) is listed as RR by CT.
    9.4 gm.

13. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

ri229a.jpg
    Johannes
    Mint: Rome
    423 to 425 AD
    AE 4
    Obvs: DN IOHANN-ES PF AVG, Draped and cuiassed right.
    Revs: SALVS REIPVBLICE, Victory advancing left, holding trophy over shoulder and dragging captive. Christogram to left.
    11x12mm, 1.12g
    Ref: RIC X 1920

14. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Some Carausius and Allectus coins:

RIC V (2), Carausius, Antoninianus, No. 355:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C CARAVSIVS P AVG .............................................. PAX - A - VGGG | S .....P |
    C in reverse exergue

Coin reverse legend ends in AVGGG - an attempt by Carausius to indicate that he, Diocletian and Maximian Heculius were a fraternity of co-equal Roman Emperors - not accepted by them.
    Draped, radiate, bust
    Colchester (Camulodunum/Clausentum) - "C" Mint
    3.8 gm.

RIC V (2), Carausius, Antoninianus, No. 5

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P AVG .............................................. PAX AVGGG | S P
    M L XXXI

Cuirassed, radiate, bust
    London Mint.
    Struck by Carausius in the name of Diocletian.
    3.8 gm.

RIC V (2), Carausius, Antoninianus, No. 20

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P AVG ....................................... PAX AVGGG | S P
    C in reverse exergue

Cuirassed, radiate, bust
    Colchester (Camulodunum/Clausentum) - "C" Mint.
    Struck by Carausius in the name of Diocletian.
    3.4 gm.

RIC V (2), Carausius, Antoninianus, No. 34

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C MAXIMIANVS P AVG .............................................. PAX AVGGG | S P
    M L XXXI in reverse exergue

Cuirassed, radiate, bust
    London Mint.
    Struck by Carausius in the name of Maximian Herculius (Maximianus).
    3.95 gm.

RIC V (2), Carausius, Antoninianus, No. 434

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG .............................................. PAX AVGGG | S P
    M L XXXI in reverse exergue

Cuirassed, radiate, bust
    London Mint.
    Struck by Carausius in the name of Maximian Herculius (Maximianus).
    3.8 gm.

RIC V (2), Carausius, Antoninianus, No. 475:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C CARAVSIVS PF AVG ......................................... PA - X - AVG | S .....P

Draped, radiate, bust
    London Mint.
    3.9 gm.

Added via Edit:

RIC V (2), Allectus, Antoninianus, No. 33:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG ............................. PA - X - AVG ..... S (Pax standing left) A
    M L in reverse exergue.

Cuirassed, radiate, bust
    London mint
    5.1 gm.

RIC V (2), Allectus, Quinarius, No. 55:

[​IMG]
    IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG ............................. VIRTVS AVG ..... (Galley)
    Q L in reverse exergue.

Allectus "Q" coin issue - The reverse depicts a Roman galley - symbolic of the dominant sea power emphasized by the Usurper Augusti.
    Cuirassed, radiate, bust
    London Mint.
    2.8 gm.

15. Alegandron

I keep looking for this fictitious Marcian... I keep wondering WHO COULD BE HOLDING UP THE TRAIN? :)

Ryro likes this.
  16. Ryro

RIC_0264.jpg
    Licinia Eudoxia, wife of Valentinian III, AV Solidus. Constantinople mint, ca 439-440 AD. AEL EVDOXIA AVG, pearl-diademed draped bust right, wearing necklace and earring, crowned by Manus Dei / VOT XXX MVLT XXXX, Constantinopolis enthroned left, holding cross on globe and sceptre; shield behind, star in right field; Q/CONOB
    toppic.jpg
    Justa Grata Honoria (sister of Valentinian III) AV Solidus. Ravenna mint. D N IVST GRAT HONORIA P F AVG, Diademed, draped bust right, hand of God holding crown above / BONO REIPVBLICAE, angel standing left, holding long cross, star in upper left field, R-V across field. Mintmark COMOB. RIC 2022, Cohen 1, Depeyrot 15/1, DO 866; Sear 21371

Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  17. Ryro

Har har! Everything in its order. I was hoping someone would post a Justa Grata before moving past her. Her older bro, Val iii, ordered her to marry some sleaze bag whom she hated. Rather than marry him she wrote to Attila the freaking hun offering her hand in marriage. A real bizarre footnote in history. Alas, looks like none of us have one, so I borrowed those 2 golden beauties from wild winds so I could catch us up and present this wholly unremarkable Martian...
    41l+KNY0v0L.jpg

Oops! I mean Marcian

CollageMaker Plus_201846167232.png
    Marcian
    450-457 CE ae-Nummus
    Nicomedia D n Marcianus
    pf aug, armored and
    draped bust with Pearl
    diadem N. R., Rs.:
    Monogram in Wreath,
    top star. LRBC 2468; Ric
    552. 11 MM 1.2

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  18. Alegandron

Agreed! That has always beena bit bizarro piece if history! I really lose interest in the latter part of the Roman Empire due to these bizzzzarrro stories!

Great job absconding that Marcian. Neat to have. And I really don’t focus on the beauty of those coins, especially due to the poor quality of coins minted at this time!

Ryro likes this.
  19. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Marcian
    Marcian Monogram 5a.jpg

Actually picked up a lot of monogram coins from CNG about a year ago, right around the time the ebay market for them crashed :(

That coin wasn't in the lot, though. It was in a 5 coin lot om ebay that I won for $25!

20. Ryro

vagi_3762.jpg
    3762 Aelia Pulcheria AE3. AEL PVLCHERIA AVG, diademed draped bust right / SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Pulcheria standing facing, arms crossed across her breast, star to right.(Borrowed from wild winds)
    RIC_2201.jpg
    Petronius Maximus AV Solidus. 455 AD. D N PETRONIVS MAXIMVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA AVGGG, Petronius standing facing, holding long cross & Victory on globe, right foot resting on human-headed serpent; R-M/COMOB.(Borrowed from wild winds)
    RIC_2402.jpg
    Avitus AV Tremissis. Ravenna mint. D N AVITVS PERP AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / Cross within wreath; COMOB. Depeyrot 50/1.
    (Borrowed from wild winds)

21. Ryro

CollageMaker Plus_20184616757967.png
    Leo I
    AE4 half centenionalis (9.7
    mm, 1.2 g, 7 h).
    Constantinople mint, struck
    A.D. 457-462. [D] N LEO P
    F [AVG], diademed, draped
    and cuirassed bust of Leo
    right / lion crouching left,