Let's march through time with Roman Imperials!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Of the million Julia Domna coins I've seen, none has come close to the portrait on this one. She isn't stylized, she doesn't look like a cartoon, and she's not portrayed as a 12-year-old...she looks her 43 years, and so incredibly lifelike, believable, and real.
    JuliaDomna.jpg
    There are coins with better reverses than this one, and coins with better legends, but I'll take this portrait over any others I've seen. Close the show - we have a winner (hahaha).

dlhill132, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Here's my Caracalla denarius that was delivered just a couple days ago.

CollageMaker_20181206_204445827.jpg
    Caracalla, AR denarius, struck 208, Rome mint.
    Obverse: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, Head of Caracalla, laureate, right, with a little sideburns going on.
    Reverse: PONTIF TR P XI COS III, Mars, helmeted, standing right, right foot drawn back, holding spear in right hand and shield in left hand.
    RIC IV 100

dlhill132, Ryro, Andres2 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Ketchup time:

SEPTIMUS SEVERUS
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing.jpg
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing

JULIA DOMNA
    RI Julia Domna 196-211 CE AE As Hilaritas cornuc RIC IVa 877.jpg
    RI Julia Domna 196-211 CE AE As Hilaritas cornuc RIC IVa 877

CARACALLA
    upload_2018-12-8_18-25-59.png
    RI Caracalla 198-217 AR Quinarius CE 213 1.3g 13.6mm Laureate - Victory Wreath Palm RIC IV 101 RSC 450 RARE

PLAUTILLA
    RI Plautilla 202-205 CE m CaracallaAR Denarius 3.7g Concordia patera scepter RIC 363.jpg
    RI Plautilla 202-205 CE m CaracallaAR Denarius 3.7g Concordia patera scepter RIC 363

GETA
    RI Geta AR Denarius 209-211 CE On horse spearing enemy.jpg
    RI Geta AR Denarius 209-211 CE On horse spearing enemy

Aaannd, I feel we need a ROMAN REPUBLIC BREAK: :D

GETA - BCE
    RR C Hosidius C F Geta 68 BCE Diana bow quiver Boar Hound spear Sear 346 Craw 407-2.jpg
    RR C Hosidius C F Geta 68 BCE Diana bow quiver Boar Hound spear Sear 346 Craw 407-2

Ahhh, MUCH better after all these narcissistic Emperors...

Cucumbor, dlhill132, Bing and 6 others like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Caracalla ant - note the scowling profile!

caracalla.jpg

ominus1, dlhill132, Bing and 6 others like this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

For a loooooong time this was really my showiest imperial. And it's a sad story this one tells. The loss of good and ascension of evil:
    CollageMaker Plus_2018461571515.png
    Geta
    CAES Pont/Felicitas-
    PVBLICA Felicitas
    stands N.L. Ric 9a, BMC
    220-221, c. 38a, Hill
    654. Vz

Curtisimo, ominus1, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Caracalla looking like a thug:

Caracalla Serdica Herakles standing.jpg Caracalla INDVLG FECVNDAE Denarius.jpg

Curtisimo, ominus1, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, I feel that he looks like a thug in EVERY coin I have seen of his. He just has that LOOK.

ancient coin hunter and ominus1 like this.
  10. Numisnewbiest

It's not a coin, but since we're on Caracalla I just had to post this (speaking of his thug look) - an artist's colorization of the very famous Caracalla bust:

caracalla.jpg

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

12. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

upload_2018-12-8_20-27-49.png

upload_2018-12-8_20-28-29.png
    Bought in ebay auction as an -Anonymous Bronze Ancient Roman coin. It measures 32 MM and weighs 14.16 Grams attributed by @TIF on CT. one of those rare lucky windfalls on ebay!
    note from CNG archives: Tarsus, Cilicia. Caracalla. 198-217. Tetrassarion (Bronze, 31mm, 16.26 g 6), c. 214-217. ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙ Μ ΑΥΡ CΕΥΗΡ[ΟC ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC] CΕΒ Π Π Laureate and cuirassed bust of Caracalla to right, seen from behind. Rev. ΑΝΤΩΝΙΑΝΗC CΕΟΥΗΡ....... ΤΑΡCΟΥ ΜΚΑ /ΓΒ Triptolemos, sowing grain with his right hand and holding a grain sack in his left, standing right in car drawn by two serpents to right. SNG Levante 1049 (this coin). A rare and most interesting piece of fine style. Dark green patina. Good very fine.

One of the only good reports about Caracalla is this piece about his positive relationship with the Jews. Who woulda thunk it?

CARACALLA, MARCUS AURELIUS ANTONINUS°, Roman emperor 211–217, the eldest son of Emperor Septimius *Severus . The reign of Caracalla was a continuation of the period of rapprochement between the Roman Empire and the Jewish people begun by his father Severus. Contemporary legal sources (Corpus Juris Civilis, Digesta 50:2, 3) indicate that both emperors granted Jews honorary offices in the cities of the Empire on the condition that their religion not come into play. The Church Father *Jerome also refers to their friendship with the Jews in his commentary on Daniel (11:34), and an inscription found in the Kasyoun synagogue in Galilee (Frey, Corpus, 2, no. 972) expresses the friendship of the Jews with these two emperors. Some scholars hold that *Judah ha-Nasi's friendship with Antoninus refers to Caracalla, who was also known by this name. According to Historia Augusta (Caracalla 1:6), Caracalla was a child of seven when he first disclosed his sympathy toward Jews. This source also mentions that Septimius Severus agreed that his son was to hold a triumphal procession, and the Senate voted for a "Jewish triumph" (Severus 16:6–8). Caracalla's political move to grant Roman citizenship to all free residents of the empire (212 C.E.) naturally affected the masses of Jews as well, and though its purpose was to simplify taxation and legal procedures in the empire, its effect was that parity was nominally granted to the Jews for the first time. from Jewish Virtual Library online

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Macaronius:
    67475b65f9929287902f9283dddbdcf3--pasta-art-food-sculpture.jpg
    ...I mean Macrinus:
    CollageMaker Plus_20184615731653.png
    Macrinus
    MACEDON. Amphipolis.
    (217-218). Ae.
    Obv: AYT M O?E? CEOY
    MAKPINOC.
    Laureate, draped and
    cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: AM?I?O?EIT?N.
    City-godess seated left,
    holding patera.
    Varbanov 3286.
    7.9 g, 23 mm

14. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Its okay. I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyways o_O

15. Numisnewbiest

Bahahahahahaha - that's hilarious!

Ryro likes this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

This one from an uncleaned hoard I attributed as Macrinus, and is my only example of this emperor so far. (If it is indeed Macrinus)

macrinus1.jpg

macrinus2.jpg

17. Roman Collector

Catching up before moving on to Mac and Di:

Geta:
    Geta.jpg

Plautilla with various hairdos:
    Plautilla Propago Imperi Denarius.jpg
    Plautilla PIETAS AVGG bust 5 denarius.jpg
    Plautilla Concordia Standing Denarius.jpg

18. Roman Collector

Mac and Di -- a matched set from Antioch:

Macrinus Antioch.jpg Diadumenian Antioch.jpg

Curtisimo, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
  19. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Does the obverse legend on the right read something like BACTANAPOC? Give or take a Greek letter or two. (Sadly, my bet is that its not Macrinus.)

20. Roman Collector

That's Severus Alexander. You can see ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡΟC from 2:00 to 5:00.

Justin Lee and dougsmit like this.
  21. ancient coin hunter

Thanks @Roman Collector for the assistance. This coin was one I was unsure about. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...on Macrinus and Diadumenian

Roman Collector and Justin Lee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted