Lets Assemble the Cheapest 12 Caesars Set in History!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

Moe "Wolfy" Wilder Moe Wilder

This is my first CT post ever.

Otho, RPC I/1340 (https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/1340) from Locris,@ $8 in a lot of uncleaned Greek. One of only two specimens known. The other is in the museum in Munich. The museum piece was first reported to have been found in 1866 and its authenticity is currently in doubt since no other has been found (until now). Due to this controversial nature, combined with multiple brockage-like impressions on reverse and both sides being HEAVILY countermarked (I count no less than a dozen on each side), the "expert" (with the holier than thou attitude) at the RPC website rejected my attribution, while the Munich Museum simply ignored my emails. This coin will likely go up for auction eventually, but I feel the need to professionally verify the attribution and prove the museum piece's authenticity first.

Otho Obv Redux adj.jpg Otho Legend Obv.jpg Otho Best Scan Rev.jpg

finny, Justin Lee, Finn235 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

Here's my 60 cent Vespasian found in uncleaned lot of Roman culls. RPC II/309 (https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/2/309). An attribution which somehow the self-same "expert" agreed with yet has so far declined to include on his website (not even just the stats for it).

No Vitellius yet, as far as I know anyway.

Vespasian-Stobi-obv-adj.jpg Vespasian-Stobi-rev.jpg

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Welcome, you seem to be the sort of collector who will fit right in here. We do have a few people who admit there are coins that don't quite reach mint state but still are interesting. :happy: I really do prefer coins that are identifiable without question but those are not always available.

finny likes this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Update:

Bulk Lot purchases noted.. and lowest individual coin price added.

JC: $3.50 (individual Purchase)
    Augustus:
    $1.00 (BULK LOT) $10 (individual purchase)
    Tiberius:
    $4.17 (BULK LOT) $30 (individual purchase)
    Caligula: $17.50 (individual purchase)
    Claudius: $1.00 (individual purchase)
    Nero:
    $5.00 (BULK LOT) $15.39 (individual purchase)
    Otho:
    $1.94 (BULK LOT) ??????
    Galba: $0.96 (BULK LOT) $28 (individual purchase)
    Vitellius:
    $2.50 (BULK LOT) $17.50 (individual purchase)
    Vespasian:
    $0.60 (BULK LOT) $6.50 (individual purchase)
    Titus:
    $1.00 (BULK LOT) $5 (individual purchase)
    Domitian: $7.95 (individual purchase)

Anyone have an inexpensive Otho? Can you beat any of these prices?
    Purchased Individually: $142.34 for 11 of the 12.... so far.

finny and Marsyas Mike like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT, Wolfy. That is a very interesting coin - as Doug notes, some of us can get pretty enthusiastic about interesting coins that aren't on the higher end of the grading scale.

finny likes this.
  7. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

Well, thank you kind sirs!

I have been silently lurking for several months but didn't even create my account until last week after I became animated enough while reading that thread regarding the true meaning of Uncirculated that I unsuccessfully attempted to make my first post. In other words, I already feel rather comfortable here and feel like I already know most of you. I have very wide interests and knowledge of US, world and ancient numismatics, so you may see my posts crop up anywhere.

Thanks again, I'll be reading ya,
    Moe

PS- regarding that Unirculated thread, I seriously wanted to add the words "at 10x magnification" to everyone else's otherwise complete answers. Very important- No visible wear, at 10x magnification.

finny, IMP Shogun, Justin Lee and 2 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WELCOME, @Moe "Wolfy" Wilder ! I look forward to your posts! I lurked for 2 years before I started posting. Helped me feel at home, and got a little education before I posted.

finny, Justin Lee and FitzNigel like this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I think lurking here for a while is a wise idea to get a sense of the place - as friendly as CoinTalk ancients is, there is still a certain decorum which is expected. I think I lurked for about 6 months.

And to prevent further thread drift, this has been a fascinating thread. I wish I could contribute, but my only 12 Caesar coin cost over $50

Alegandron, finny and Justin Lee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted