Lesson Learned Mercury Dime Roll

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Excuse_Me, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Excuse_Me

Excuse_Me Active Member

Hello...

I am a fairly new in the coin collecting hobby. I mostly collect Gold Coins, and more from the US Mint than anywhere else.

I have recently started to collect Mercury Dimes, I love the way they look.
    I have been buying almost all from eBay and from one seller more than others because I get what he advertises no single photos just a pile of mercury dimes and describes them as uncleaned/undamaged with a mixture of MM.

I started out just buying a few, and I was VERY happy with all I received.
    He did not list rolls for sale, or I would have purchased them. So I started looking around on eBay for Rolls of circulated Mercury Dimes. I found a seller, who had 100% feedback, and he had new rolls almost every day, and the prices seemed pretty reasonable, below is what the seller used for a photo.

[​IMG]

The description said.

(50) CIRCULATED 90% SILVER MERCURY DIMES
    DIFFERENT DATES / MINT MARKS
    (file photo)

So I bid was the high bidder at $70.00 + $2.00 1st class shipping. What I received was nothing like the photo. Some dimes were SO worn you could not read the date & could not tell if they had a MM or not.
    Some were SO black you could barely tell they were mercury dimes even using a magnifying glass.

So here is what I learned.

Even though this seller has 100% feedback, even though no one else mentioned that what they received was basically junk/melt silver you can't always depend on feedback.

I also learned not to ever bid on listings when you see private in the feedback, and you have no idea what the buyer left feedback for, because the seller does sell other coins also.

Something else I failed to notice, the listing was listed under the bullion category, thus the reason I did not earn any eBay Bucks, and finally read the description in this case it said "file photo"

If there is anything thing else anyone wants to add please do.
    I am in this hobby to collect coins, for my collection NOT to buy bullion.

Sorry for such a long post...

silentnviolent and swamp yankee like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Unfortunately, the term "file photo" is just another term that means, "No, these are not the coins you will receive." It should have been a red flag to avoid this seller. In my mind, his feedback only means that previous buyers weren't too smart, and the smart buyers avoided him.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

The only feedback I lend any credence to is negative feedback. I have bought a number of coins from sellers that had 100% positive feedback, which upon receipt turned out to be cleaned and or over graded. I now only buy coins on ebay that have clear detailed photos, and hope that what I receive is what was imaged.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Return them, or tell him you'll neg him

6. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Too bad that you didn't see that "file photo" blurb. Sometimes when I find an auction ending soon or a new listing with a low buy it now, I'm in too much of a hurry to beat you other guys to the punch. One time I clicked a pretty hefty price on a silver dollar, it went through, and only after that did I note that the seller was in China. I cancelled it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Threatening a negative is a violation of a Bay policy, Frank. It's considered buyer extortion.

no_cents, bkozak33 and tommyc03 like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A hard lessoned learned but hopefully you did.

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

You can contact seller and tell him you would like to return them, but be careful about using feedback as extortion to meet a demand. At least when using eBay's messaging system.

no_cents likes this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

But, in this instance well deserved :)

That said, okay, post a link so we can all avoid me.

Then, return the coins.

fish4uinmd and rzage like this.
  11. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

What you should have learned is that you bid on an auction without knowing what you were bidding on and you happened to have won the auction. Buyer ignorance is no reason to blame the seller for what is essentially your own fault. This was a legitimate auction. You received exactly what the was seller was selling. What you received was "as described" in the auction. You have no reason to be upset with him.

He sold you a roll of circulated coins; you got a roll of circulated coins. Worn coins and black coin can be found in a random roll of circulated coins. The seller didn't not say anything about having full dates or that the coins were all white.

In the future, i would suggest that you don't pull the trigger without reading and understanding exactly what you are buying. If you have any questions about what you are buying, contact the seller for clarity. There was no attempt here on the part of the seller to misrepresent anything.

As a newb coin buyer, mistakes will inevitably be made but when those mistakes happen, it's not fair to play the blame game. Own up to it, accept some responsibility for the rush to click the bid button and chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. It's a good practice to always know what you are buying before you bid.

Best of luck to you on your future purchases.

beef1020 and ken454 like this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Let's see... guy buys a generic roll of Mercs, from what is clearly marked as a stock photo offering in the bullion section, and is disappointed he didn't receive (his definition of) coins in collectible conditions. Of course it is all the sellers fault, and he certainly deserves a neg for this unforgivable wronging of his poor innocent buyer. Then, to rub salt in the wound, this horrible seller is also to blame for the OP not getting any ebay bucks either! Simply unbelievable!

Without a doubt there is a lesson to be learned here, but is one that will require the OP to take a long and hard look in the mirror. I apologize if this sounds harsh, but instead of throwing mud, if the OP is "in this hobby to collect coins for [his] collection, NOT to buy bullion", perhaps he should the meaning of reasonable expectations.

bkozak33 likes this.
  13. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

The OP didn't complain or blame or throw mud at anyone. He just stated what he learned from his mistakes.

silentnviolent likes this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Books, you should read the OP post again. You missed what he really said.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Glad you learned some lessons from this purchase @Excuse_Me. Coinflation.com puts the silver melt value at $60.08 with melt at $16.61 / troy ounce.

16. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Sorry for your troubles but your post here may prevent some one else getting taken,as always"buyer beware"....

17. Excuse_Me

Excuse_Me Active Member

OK thank you for any replies that were "Helpful", I don't think I was slamming anyone or playing any "Blame Games", I was only stating what I learned and was hoping to get some "constructive" ideas for future buying. Who knows maybe the seller is a member of this forum!!!

That said I did contact the seller and the seller "did" say send them back for a refund, but I have NEVER sent anything back to eBay I purchased, or filed any kind of complaint, nor did I threaten, or leave any kind of feedback. I do not think I slammed the seller whom I did not mention their name.

I will just put the dimes away and mark on them junk/silver for melt so when my Grandchildren get them when I'm gone they will know, they are NOT for collecting. I will just chalk it up as a lesson learned, and move on.

BTW I am a female :)

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, personally, I think you had an excellent experience Ms. Excuse_Me! I have done worse, licked my wounds, and was able to make much more intelligent bidding and purchases. You described many things to watch for and/or to avoid for future purchases. Glad for you it was only a $60 purchase, local to the US, and was a fair seller whom offered to return if you were not satisfied! I am glad it was not a decimating experience... It could had been for $600 for a roll coming out of China...(just TRY to return THAT!) :)) Sad to admit to myself...me done worse.... (and, no, I have not made a $600 China purchase for a roll of coins, LOL).

19. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Holy frijoles, first Charmy and Amanda and now YOU?!?!? How are we to process this? Are you not aware you're skewing the demographic profile of this hobby? Look at any coin club.

1) Male? Check.
    2) At least 60-ish? Check.
    3) Not a physical specimen? Check.
    4) Balding? Meh, mezzo mezzo.
    5) Bolo tie somewhere in collection? Probably Check.
    6) At least one bolo tie slide or belt buckle with turquoise mounted in silver? Check.
    7) Opinionated beyond reason? Check.
    8) Dunlap's Disease? Check. [Belly done laps over yo' belt.]

You're gonna need to 'splain yourself, Missy. Kidding. Welcome.

20. Excuse_Me

Excuse_Me Active Member

OK thank you for the welcome. :angelic:

21. Chuck47

Chuck47 Member

Talk about hitting the nail on the head!
    I went to a club meeting last night for the first time in years, It had been about 20 years since I was last there. I can honestly say, myself and probably 80% of the other attendee's fit the description you wrote about.
    It was however, a good meeting with an interesting educational topic, and a great 50/50 raffle which I won! I was able to spend my $44.00 windfall on the evening's auction.
    It was good time and I look forward to next months meeting.
    Thanks for the chuckle.

Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted